RIM says that BB 10 will have a paradigm shift, you dont have to press the hom,e button to move between apps. But doesnt Samsung Glaxy for instance have that feature? Just swipe from app to another? all apps running simultaneously? what am I missing here?
    Thanks in advance for answers.
    09-17-12 05:20 AM
    Yes you have to press And hold the home Button to get the list of open apps On the Nexus.
    09-17-12 07:41 AM
    It's the same way on the current BlackBerry OS as well; press and hold the BlackBerry Key for a list of running applications. To switch, you simply select the app you want to go back to. I find it to be an incredibly handy feature of the current OS.

The difference with BB10 will be seamless application management. The app does not close or even stop processing once you switch out. It's always running until you close it.
    09-17-12 09:22 AM
    It's the same way on the current BlackBerry OS as well; press and hold the BlackBerry Key for a list of running applications. To switch, you simply select the app you want to go back to. I find it to be an incredibly handy feature of the current OS.

The difference with BB10 will be seamless application management. The app does not close or even stop processing once you switch out. It's always running until you close it.
    no true there is the ability to always leave it running but this kills the battery faster tehre is also the ability to let the app decide or to leave the app in standby
    09-17-12 10:08 AM

pretty sure most apps will stop running when you switch out. many currently do on the PB even with showcasing turned on.
    09-17-12 10:29 AM
    RIM says that BB 10 will have a paradigm shift, you dont have to press the hom,e button to move between apps. But doesn't Samsung Galaxy for instance have that feature? Just swipe from app to another? all apps running simultaneously? what am I missing here?
    Thanks in advance for answers.
    It's all about the architecture. Sure, Apple and Samsung can build atop their OS's but they build in useful APIs to allow "background" functions. Give a read on how iOS Multitasking really works

QNX let's everything multitask in memory protected space. By threading the processes and managing all them, not just some of them. iOS 6 is taking multitasking to a new level. But QNX is light years beyond the fear of power consumption Apple devices face.

iPad can use gesture based multitasking as well. the point is what's happening beyond what you can see or touch. the system is simply strong with QNX multitasking and multiprocessing
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-17-12 10:43 AM
    A colleague just showed me something similar on his iPhone. When a message comes in, up pops a notification. You decide if you wish to act on it or not, and if so touch that pop-up and the OS takes you to the messages app where you do your stuff. When you want to go back to what you were previously doing, a double tap the home button brings up all the currently running apps, which you can then go into.

How is BB10 particularly different to that? Sure, it will do it a slightly different way, but what is the gain of "peek and flow" over a pretty clever and neat mechanism for doing the same thing on iOS?

And looking at the link in the post above about icons on the iOS multitasking bar merely being 'recent' apps rather than apps continuing to run in the background, is that not sensible? If BB10 has lots running continuously and concurrently won't that destroy battery life?
    Last edited by whitbags; 01-04-13 at 07:46 AM.
    01-04-13 07:28 AM
    A colleague just showed me something similar on his iPhone. When a message comes in, up pops a notification. You decide if you wish to act on it or not, and if so touch that pop-up and the OS takes you to the messages app where you do your stuff. When you want to go back to what you were previously doing, a double tap the home button brings up all the currently running apps, which you can then go into.

How is BB10 particularly different to that? Sure, it will do it a slightly different way, but what is the gain of "peek and flow" over a pretty clever and neat mechanism for doing the same thing on iOS?

And looking at the link in the post above about icons on the iOS multitasking bar merely being 'recent' apps rather than apps continuing to run in the background, is that not sensible? If BB10 has lots running continuously and concurrently won't that destroy battery life?
    The advantage is that with Peek you have the opportunity to check your message status any time, not just when you receive a new message. You can also get multiple message previews--from multiple sources--without leaving your app.

Yes, it genuinely IS different.
    01-04-13 09:18 AM
    I experimented with the "in and out paradigm shift" last night and it was nice.
    jason9900 likes this.
    01-04-13 09:29 AM

I like the pop ups on the Desktop but I don't like the idea on the phone, too little space. If you are getting lots of messages this would be very annoying so to me its a bad design. Battery life is based on CPU clock cycles, maintaining memory and the radio. QNX is very efficient so it can get away with a bit more but the same rules apply with every OS, the more it is doing the quicker the drain. This is probably why BB10 is limited to 8 active frames: they are trying to give the maximum performance AND user experience but there has to be limitations put somewhere or the thing will just die. I also think that the hub makes opening apps less important and that in itself may use less battery/clock cycles (just a guess though).

I totally agree that there are a lot of similar features on the different platforms now. Just like with everything else, people have different preferences so choice is good. I honestly don't understand why people bring this up. I think some people want to live in Soviet Russia where there is only one kind of everything...yes?
    01-04-13 09:48 AM
    I experimented with the "in and out paradigm shift" last night and it was nice.
    Did he like it?
    01-04-13 09:51 AM

Yes, of course it will drain the battery if one of the open app is HD Game.
    01-04-13 09:56 AM
    It's all about the architecture. Sure, Apple and Samsung can build atop their OS's but they build in useful APIs to allow "background" functions. Give a read on how iOS Multitasking really works

QNX let's everything multitask in memory protected space. By threading the processes and managing all them, not just some of them. iOS 6 is taking multitasking to a new level. But QNX is light years beyond the fear of power consumption Apple devices face.

iPad can use gesture based multitasking as well. the point is what's happening beyond what you can see or touch. the system is simply strong with QNX multitasking and multiprocessing
    I tried berry popup for a while, which is an app that displays popup notifications when you receive a message, but I found it really annoying, especially when I'm in the middle of something. I also find the pull down notification menu to be a hassle to use on my razr, since I have to reach up to the top of the screen. I also can't check previous messages. I have to open the individual apps.

I think the BB10 solution will be best for my needs. The benefits might seem minor, but messaging is perhaps the primary feature of the phone that will be used hundreds of times a day.
    01-04-13 12:18 PM
    wait they added another 1 gb of ram dont our frame capability increase?? I dont know who would have 8 apps or more running but we should be able to do more frames now??
    01-04-13 09:06 PM
    ^ Yea, I want to know this too. If the rumored 2GB is being put into the BB10 devices does that mean more than 8 apps will be able to run in the active frames??
    01-05-13 01:18 AM
    ^ Yea, I want to know this too. If the rumored 2GB is being put into the BB10 devices does that mean more than 8 apps will be able to run in the active frames??
    pretty sure its 2 GBs to make sure the 8 actually run well, 1 GB wasnt getting the job done
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-05-13 01:30 AM
    Did he like it?
    oh boy...lmao...
    01-05-13 02:17 AM
    Did he like it?
    No. Apparently the paradigm shift was a little too large.
    01-05-13 09:16 AM
    No. Apparently the paradigm shift was a little too large.
    lol good response.
    01-05-13 09:25 AM
    The advantage is that with Peek you have the opportunity to check your message status any time, not just when you receive a new message. You can also get multiple message previews--from multiple sources--without leaving your app.

Yes, it genuinely IS different.
    This is no different than the current Android notification system. Simply pull down the nav bar and view multiple messages from multiple sources (even weather, temp etc) without ever having to leave the app.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-05-13 12:41 PM
    This is no different than the current Android notification system. Simply pull down the nav bar and view multiple messages from multiple sources (even weather, temp etc) without ever having to leave the app.
    Yall swipe from the top, BB users would swipe from the bottom bezel and to the left. Also the HUB is Not just for messages.You can peek and see your Missed Calls, Messages, Email, and Social Networks...maybe more. Find out in a few weeks.
    01-05-13 01:34 PM
    Both designs accomplish the same basic action. I think the hub will be focused on notifications more than anything while Android can pretty much add anything you want to the drop down
    01-05-13 01:45 PM
    In and out is archaic. Imagine doing that on a home computer???

Ultimately the goal for mobile computing is to catch up to regular/stationary computing, as that continues to advance as well. Referring to the most used computer OS (Windows), Regular computing allows multiple programs to be running at once. You can switch back and forth without seeing your desktop screen. I would even argue that Blackberry 10 is more like a traditional windows OS then WP8, in sense that it has minimized windows (active frames) displayed for you to open up without exiting out of them.

It appears iOS is last place in terms of functionality in my mind (in terms of getting in and out of an app). Of course the natural argument to this is the number of sales and users iOS has. This is a fairly weak argument, as the sales declines to not begin until well after the sentiment/paradigm shift has begun. Apple will have to change the core usability of the OS to catch up, or create a new OS as they are in the same boat as RIM was with an old system that is stretched near its intended limits. Mind you, there are still a few years left of the legacy iOS.
    01-05-13 01:47 PM
    Yall swipe from the top, BB users would swipe from the bottom bezel and to the left. Also the HUB is Not just for messages.You can peek and see your Missed Calls, Messages, Email, and Social Networks...maybe more. Find out in a few weeks.
    you missed calendar
    01-05-13 01:49 PM
    As far as I know the Android notification bar only shows new ,messages. not old ones.
    01-05-13 01:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD