Just wanna share this with all of you crackberry users. I heard that they were slowly releasing cell phone #'s to telemarketers and such. Well i have the # to call from cell to get on the do not call list. It takes about a minute to do. The # i have is 1-888-382-1222. Now i am from PA, and do not know if there is a difference. Im assuming this is the nationwide #. Let me know how you all make out. If i can help some people out, and quit the telemarketers from calling you, then i have done my job! Good Luck!!
    01-20-10 03:26 PM
    thanks I appreciate it
    01-20-10 03:46 PM
    Just registered, thanks!
    01-20-10 03:58 PM
    It is illegal for telemarketers to contact cell phone numbers. The only reason it would appear that telemarketers are getting cell phone numbers is the fact that quite a few land line numbers are being ported to cell phone service which still makes it illegal for telemarketers to contact the numbers.
    01-20-10 04:18 PM
    It is illegal for telemarketers to contact cell phone numbers. The only reason it would appear that telemarketers are getting cell phone numbers is the fact that quite a few land line numbers are being ported to cell phone service which still makes it illegal for telemarketers to contact the numbers.

Hmm, well I'm not taking any chances. I called the number and bookmarked this link lol. Thanks skullz and gnomad.
    01-20-10 04:28 PM
    Heh, I just got hit with a couple telemarketers today while at work.
    01-20-10 04:31 PM
    My 8 year old daughter just got a telemarketer call the other day.... And i never ported any #'s. Just trying to help out. I know ALOT of people that get telemarketer calls. Hopefully this will elliminate it! Lemme know guys if they stop.
    01-20-10 05:33 PM
    Thanks! I got one last week.
    01-20-10 05:51 PM
    Just wanna share this with all of you crackberry users. I heard that they were slowly releasing cell phone #'s to telemarketers and such. Well i have the # to call from cell to get on the do not call list. It takes about a minute to do. The # i have is 1-888-382-1222. Now i am from PA, and do not know if there is a difference. Im assuming this is the nationwide #. Let me know how you all make out. If i can help some people out, and quit the telemarketers from calling you, then i have done my job! Good Luck!!
    I registered my cell phone number with this service in 2003 and have had two telemarketer calls in all that time. One from the LA Times and another from a software marketing company. In both cases, I told the telemarketers than it is a $10,000 fine to continue calling me and in both cases I never heard from them again.

This is one government program that really works.

If you don't wish to be bothered with telemarketing calls, this is a fantastic way to put an end to them calling you. As another member noted, it is already illegal to telemarket to cell phones but enrolling your number here is just one step up to making sure that you aren't bothered by telemarketers.

I totally recommend this service.
    01-20-10 07:30 PM
    Great tip and much appreciated!
    01-20-10 07:56 PM
    Along with this, keep in mind that some businesses do rent phone numbers to other companies, and in doing so (depending on how you gave the number to the original business) the number might not be registered as a cell phone number. For example, I use my cell phone number at Barnes and Noble. It's not coded as a cell phone number, so if they were to rent it out to another company, it would probably be listed as a home phone. If you're worried about that then just request that the business NOT rent you phone number.

Also, it is not illegal for any organization listed as a marketing research company to call cell phones. Since they aren't selling anything, the same rules do not apply. Gallup does it all the time.
    01-20-10 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the number. Registered both phones!
    01-20-10 09:36 PM
    Also, it is not illegal for any organization listed as a marketing research company to call cell phones. Since they aren't selling anything, the same rules do not apply. Gallup does it all the time.
    Political candidates also get a free pass at election time. Also any company you do business with gets a free pass for 90 days after you buy anything from them.
    01-20-10 09:44 PM
    Sweet thanks for the info
    01-21-10 04:46 AM
    Maybe Kevin ought to put the # on the blogs so that everyone will see it?
    01-21-10 07:37 AM
    I registered my cell phone and my DSL line with my state Do Not Call list when it first started and have had no problems with unwanted calls since. Doesn't each state have a DNC list?
    01-21-10 07:45 AM
    thanks for the info... I registered all my phones!
    01-21-10 08:29 AM
    The bit about them releasing cell numbers is a hoax that's been making the rounds for years. Everyone did a good job of debunking in this thread already, but there's still more good reading on the topic in the snopes article.

snopes.com: Cell Phone Numbers Given to Telemarketers
    01-22-10 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD