couple of months ago I found a blackberry torch in cab on my way to the airport. Its been sitting around dead since I have no charger for it. but now I've decided that I am going to buy a charger and use it. Can I just pop my att sim into the phone and start using it? Is there any special activation? Will the my iphone data plan work with blackberry also? These are just some of the questions that I need help with.

Yes and I dont feel guilty using it and I am not doing anything illegal. Finders keepers. I've lost many phones over last 10 years and have never received one back.
    12-25-10 04:04 PM
    The iPhone data plan and the Blackberry data plans are different, the difference is the title -_-. However, you will just have to pay prorated charges. When you put your sim card in the phone just call up AT&T and have them switch it over for you. How you found the phone is none of my business :-P grats on the lucky find.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 04:08 PM
    Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself, not us. lol. Call your carrier to activate and you'll be all set. Most likely though the BlackBerry has been reported lost/stolen and has been blocked from use.

Good luck. Let us know what happens!

12-25-10 04:09 PM
    My guess is it has probably been reported lost/stolen by now and the BB features won't work if that has happened.

Why not just return it? Just because nobody else has done the right thing with your lost devices doesn't mean you should do that too, I mean chances are it's useless now anyway.
    12-25-10 04:15 PM
    I wanted to go back and forth from iphone to blackberry. Will I have to call them a switch data plans everytime. Sounds like hassle.
    12-25-10 04:16 PM
    Why not just put your SIM card in the BlackBerry and see if the data works?

Otherwise, call your carrier and ask. There may be some AT&T folks on here that do the same and can help. Hope they come along soon!

Did you get a charger for it?

12-25-10 04:19 PM
    No Im gonna buy the charger tomorrow. Yeah someone from At&T would be helpful
    12-25-10 04:24 PM
    Why not just put your SIM card in the BlackBerry and see if the data works?

Otherwise, call your carrier and ask. There may be some AT&T folks on here that do the same and can help. Hope they come along soon!

Did you get a charger for it?

I was always under the impression that data wouldn't work using the stock browser if there was no BIS/BES, even if there was a regular dataplan available? I guess I could be mistaken.
    12-25-10 04:25 PM
    Yeah, I'm not sure because I've used CDMA forever now. You're probably right. I'll be interested to hear the answer about iPhone and BlackBerry data plans.

12-25-10 04:29 PM
    I have the original unlimited iphone data plan. If I switch to blackberry plan and then back to iphone plan, I may loose that unlimited plan. This is becoming complicated.
    12-25-10 04:47 PM
    1. You should return the device to AT&T. That is someone's phone. If you lost yours, would you want it returned, or would you rather have someone say finders keepers?

2. The data plans are not compatible. You will need to switch. You may lose your unlimited data.

3. If the Torch was reported as stolen, and the PIN is blacklisted, data will NOT work on this device. You will not be able to use features such as the internet without wifi, Facebook app, Twitter app, BBM, etc. It will essentially be a "dumbphone."

4. Do the right thing, and return it. Be able to sleep at night knowing full well that you did the right thing. No questions will be asked of you. Just tell them that you found it and would like it returned to the rightful owner.
    12-25-10 05:02 PM
    Eh they slept aight for the couple months they had it.

12-25-10 05:04 PM
    yeah I've been sleeping real good lately
    12-25-10 05:11 PM
    lol. You could always sell it. But you should find out if it's blacklisted first.

12-25-10 05:12 PM
    It is unfortunate to see this type of activity. No one can tell you what to do, we can only hope that you do the right thing.
    12-25-10 05:16 PM
    how do I find if its blacklisted? I dont think I'm gonna sell it. If data dosent work then this will just be my backup phone for the time I loose my phone for basic voice communication. Which given my history is very likely.
    12-25-10 05:17 PM
    1. You should return the device to AT&T. That is someone's phone. If you lost yours, would you want it returned, or would you rather have someone say finders keepers?

2. The data plans are not compatible. You will need to switch. You may lose your unlimited data.

3. If the Torch was reported as stolen, and the PIN is blacklisted, data will NOT work on this device. You will not be able to use features such as the internet without wifi, Facebook app, Twitter app, BBM, etc. It will essentially be a "dumbphone."

4. Do the right thing, and return it. Be able to sleep at night knowing full well that you did the right thing. No questions will be asked of you. Just tell them that you found it and would like it returned to the rightful owner.
    Totally agree with everything you said.
    I'm just saying, Heavy, the OP has had that BlackBerry for "a couple months." They're not going to return it now most likely. I would have called the carrier right away. Probably many of us would have. But he didn't.

cayman2010 likes this.
    If you put your ATT sim in, you will have data but you won't have BIS which equals, no emails pushed and no bbm. That's it though. My friend has a 9000 with ATT with a non BIS plan and he gets data fine but no pushed emails or bbm. As far as returning the phone. I see what you mean, and I bet most of us would keep such a phone, but... Just because people didn't return your phones, doesn't mean you shouldn't be a good citizen and return it.

12-25-10 05:18 PM
    how do I find if its blacklisted? I dont think I'm gonna sell it. If data dosent work then this will just be my backup phone for the time I loose my phone for basic voice communication. Which given my history is very likely.
    Call your carrier and give them the ESN/IMEI. They will tell you.

12-25-10 05:18 PM
    How do I find if its blacklisted? I am not going to sell it because if it is "blacklisted" then it will just become someone elses problem (see Im not all bad, LOL) In case data dosent work, then I will just keep it as backup for basic voice communication for the time I loose my phone Which given my history is bound to happen.
    12-25-10 05:21 PM
    Call Your Carrier and ask them.

12-25-10 05:22 PM
    oh sorry for double post, i thought first one didnt post
    12-25-10 05:23 PM
    I'm just saying, Heavy, the OP has had that BlackBerry for "a couple months." They're not going to return it now most likely. I would have called the carrier right away. Probably many of us would have. But he didn't.

I would have returned it the day that I found it. That is just me, so I can't speak for everyone.
    chirmer#CB likes this.
    12-25-10 05:25 PM
    Let us know what happens.

12-25-10 05:27 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD