OT: Cobra-Commander, do you use encryption on Cobra-issued devices?
    My daily schemes for world domination can't be allowed to be thwarted by GI Joe intercepting my communication.
    Tabdus, MikeX74, ronfc and 2 others like this.
    04-21-16 12:57 PM
    My daily schemes for world domination can't be allowed to be thwarted by GI Joe intercepting my communication.
    Epic comeback! Ha ha ha

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 01:43 PM
    This has been one of the best post of late. Very informative.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 01:46 PM
    wow talk about an over thought concept, have you every though BlackBerry does it for the greater good not just the benefit of one person. if you're going to do criminal acts you don't deserve privacy, you're putting everyone else at risk for your own selfish benefit. BlackBerry is not selling anyone out but protecting the people it promises to protect.

you sir could not be more out to lunch on your belief of whats right and whats wrong
    TgeekB and neoberry99 like this.
    04-21-16 04:46 PM
    I hate to jump on a grenade by posting in this forum but I wanted to provide my 2 cents about BBM in particular.

It's been commonly known that the original consumer BBM was not end-to-end encrypted using unique keys. Back in the day where basic SMS and MMS ruled, BBM was clearly a more secure solution. It may never have protected against the prying eyes of state governments but afforded significant protection compared to open text formats like SMS, MMS, and standard email.

Today, there are many other instant messaging choices. iMessage is relatively new and provides this high level of security (end-to-end). However, like BBM and other commercial software packages, the code is closed source and not available for constant independent review. If you truly want a secure instant messaging app, download ChatSecure and use it with Orbot.

Personally, I just bought a $30 annual subscription to BBM Protected. I like the BBM layout and functions and still believe that BlackBerry makes the most secure commercial mobile operating system (BB10 in particular). According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, BBM Protected and iMessage are roughly the same in terms of security. However, I really do not trust Apple's overall software architecture with iOS. There are multiple major vulnerabilities that they still haven't fixed and they participated willingly in the NSA Prism program. So I don't believe the hype from Tim Cook. Apple is a consumer products company that makes awesome consumer products that were never designed to be secure. BlackBerry is a provider to governments and enterprises. Consumers are definitely second. This could be one of the reasons for their demise.

I wish the BlackBerry was doing better and could offer the BBM Protected system to everyone for free. Maybe they will in the future. But for now, I think $30 per year is a small price to pay for the added security and convenience of the BBM Protected platform.
    anon(8719892) and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-21-16 04:48 PM
    Wow you realize they are different things. BBM is a chat app, which is no different than other one out there. Apple refused to bypass on device security, same as BlackBerry has on there devices.

These aren't the same thing comparing then is like apples and oranges.
    In this case Apples to Blackberries. Apple's chat app is clearly more secure than BB's, so even if every thing else was equal the Apple device is more secure.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-21-16 05:19 PM
    Who going to pay for BBM Protected after Blackberry willingly gave out its BBM key, you think they wouldn't do the same for BBM Protected? As long as their is a way for Blackberry to intervene on government behalf, any fancy service for security is irrelevant.
    There's no reasoning with you. What you just said applies to all smartphone manufacturers and OS developers. BlackBerry isn't the only one on this cruise ship.
    Keep on ranting.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 05:21 PM
    Apple is hardly doing anything you think they are doing. They may deliver the data to your device "encrypted," but they will turn around and store your data on their server. How do you think their data syncing with multiple devices works? They have to have your data to make the sync happen. That data is then given to the very government you rail about. Or did you miss the part where all data prior to the San Bernadino terrorist turning that feature off was already given to the government?

Go ahead, try sending your data to BlackBerry for storage. You can't. They never provided such a service because it will compromise your privacy! Why did BlackBerry Bridge and Balance require a BlackBerry phone? BlackBerry got a major black eye from the public for the PlayBook not having an email client other than Bridge. Because the data only resides on the one device, your phone. Bridge and Balance makes it look like you're doing things to your data on a device other than the phone, but in actuality everything is done on the phone! Why did they do that? Again for YOUR privacy and data security.

The most the governments are getting from BlackBerry (and again supposedly under LAWFUL ACCESS) is basic BBM messages in real time. All your email, SMS, Facebook postings, etc can be obtained by your service provider (including Apple) without your knowing. BlackBerry has always operated like this, and they have helped law enforcement catch bad guys many times. They did it years ago in London when it came rioters, and more recently to catch the drug lord El Chapo. (Someone correctly if I got the London event or drug lord's name wrong.)

What did Apple do? They tried to get in the way of obtaining information from a known terrorist, all the while giving you a false sense of security. Way to go Apple!

Wake up!

Posted via CB10
    Bridge existed solely for the purpose of making up for the PlayBook's deficiencies. Your email is already on someone else's servers and it might even be on all the transit servers inbetween.

And BBM was limited to a single device due to the limitations of the PIN setup. And we've already seem how "secure" that setup is.

To believe that Bridge was created to protect you and not to cover up BlackBerry's inability to deliver a working product is plain silly.

Ditto for Blend.
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 04-21-16 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Quoted
    04-21-16 05:28 PM
    John Chen needs to STOP talking. As of late, every time he talks, it makes BlackBerry look even worse. He needs to go. He was good in the beginning, but not anymore.
    04-21-16 05:32 PM
    wow talk about an over thought concept, have you every though BlackBerry does it for the greater good not just the benefit of one person. if you're going to do criminal acts you don't deserve privacy, you're putting everyone else at risk for your own selfish benefit. BlackBerry is not selling anyone out but protecting the people it promises to protect.

you sir could not be more out to lunch on your belief of whats right and whats wrong
    that's part of the problem if the government was "good" and "honest" maybe people wouldn't have such a huge problem with privacy but they aren't they are worse than real criminals take for example this news that's slowly leaking about who funded 9/11 you actualy think the government is going to come straight out and be "honest" with us.
    04-21-16 05:33 PM
    I'm actually not upset with his position. Between emails, sms, bbm, FB and my browsing history there are lots of points where officials could get access to my data. As long as due process takes place, and the proper warrants are issued, I don"t see a problem (NSA revelations are definitely not in that category).

Pretty sure Apple and everyone else, in spite of all the posturing, complies with all kinds of requests all them time. I still trust BlackBerry over Google...at least they say they only reveal that info to authorities with due process, whereas Google must be amassing quite a collection of user data for sale to the highest bidder.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-21-16 06:01 PM
    that's part of the problem if the government was "good" and "honest" maybe people wouldn't have such a huge problem with privacy but they aren't they are worse than real criminals take for example this news that's slowly leaking about who funded 9/11 you actualy think the government is going to come straight out and be "honest" with us.
    Governments are not perfect and, yes, there are dishonest people in governments but please don't lump everyone together and say "they" are worse than criminals. That's totally unfair to the millions of people doing an honest job.
    04-21-16 06:17 PM
    Governments are not perfect and, yes, there are dishonest people in governments but please don't lump everyone together and say "they" are worse than criminals. That's totally unfair to the millions of people doing an honest job.
    i think you took me too literal, but there is just a bunch of really bad and disgusting things that go on that few people know about and are only brought to light by whistle-blowers and well we know what happens to them if they say something about anything that's wrong with how things are done also don't forget the government works for the people not the other way around
    04-21-16 06:23 PM
    i think you took me too literal, but there is just a bunch of really bad and disgusting things that go on that few people know about and are only brought to light by whistle-blowers and well we know what happens to them if they say something about anything that's wrong with how things are done also don't forget the government works for the people not the other way around
    Like I said, dishonest people exist, but it is very small in the grand scheme of things. Nothing that affects me (or most people) in the least.
    04-21-16 06:27 PM
    maybe but it isn't the same for everyone these articles are really small time for what really goes on and maybe one of them pissed off someone for these little stories to come out but this has been going on for years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2609222

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2591954

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2599319
    04-21-16 06:41 PM

Corporations do nothing for the greater good, they are amoral entities that only seek to increase profits.

Btw, you sound just like Eric Schmidt, odd you don't have a Android phone.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/1...misses-privacy
    Al moon and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-21-16 06:44 PM
    Blanket statements.
    04-21-16 06:47 PM

This is going off-topic

Think of it like the keys to your house or code to your safe. Do you really want your keys to be in the hands of your locksmith or company who built your safe?

I am not here to pass judgement if such people would be honorable or not. This debate is about ownership of your data, Blackberry has no right to sell out my privacy without my consent. You know the very same company that pitches privacy and security to be their main strengths. THEIR NEW PHONE IS NAMED PRIV FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Anyways simple solution, uninstall BBM go download an end to end encrypted chat app. I have no trust in Blackberry any longer, they no different to me in security and privacy than any other tech company. Their appeal for security to me has gone through the window.

Not only they willingly gave out global key but allowing BBM to remain so weak in security tells me they have no intention to beef it up so that governments around the world can spy easily on their citizens. While every other chat app is moving to end to end for FREE, Blackberry wants to charge for it on top with no guarantee they could do the same with the added protection service. Besides, most people have moved away from BBM anyways, not that it's relevant to this day.
    04-21-16 06:56 PM
    This is going off-topic

Think of it like the keys to your house or code to your safe. Do you really want your keys to be in the hands of your locksmith or company who built your safe?

I am not here to pass judgement if such people would be honorable or not. This debate is about ownership of your data, Blackberry has no right to sell out my privacy without my consent. You know the very same company that pitches privacy and security to be their main strengths. THEIR NEW PHONE IS NAMED PRIV FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Anyways simple solution, uninstall BBM go download an end to end encrypted chat app. I have no trust in Blackberry any longer, they no different to me in security and privacy than any other tech company. Their appeal for security to me has gone through the window.

Not only they willing gave out global key but allowing BBM to remain so weak in security tells me they have no intention to beef it up so that governments around the world can spy easily on their citizens. While every other chat app is moving to end to end for FREE, Blackberry wants to charge for it on top with no guarantee they could do the same with the added protection service. Besides, most people have moved away from BBM anyways, not that it's relevant to this day.
    yes a bit off topic was just quoting someone else but the fact that chen isnt bothered by it for a company that preaches security should bother some people
    04-21-16 07:05 PM
    Regardless of what encrypted chat app you may have or how great you feel secure, your phone is still a slave to the tower that it is connect to. This why govts now have stingrays.
    04-21-16 07:55 PM
    Today, there are many other instant messaging choices. iMessage is relatively new and provides this high level of security (end-to-end). However, like BBM and other commercial software packages, the code is closed source and not available for constant independent review. If you truly want a secure instant messaging app, download ChatSecure and use it with Orbot.

Personally, I just bought a $30 annual subscription to BBM Protected. I like the BBM layout and functions and still believe that BlackBerry makes the most secure commercial mobile operating system (BB10 in particular). According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, BBM Protected and iMessage are roughly the same in terms of security. However, I really do not trust Apple's overall software architecture with iOS. There are multiple major vulnerabilities that they still haven't fixed and they participated willingly in the NSA Prism program. So I don't believe the hype from Tim Cook. Apple is a consumer products company that makes awesome consumer products that were never designed to be secure. BlackBerry is a provider to governments and enterprises. Consumers are definitely second. This could be one of the reasons for their demise.

I wish the BlackBerry was doing better and could offer the BBM Protected system to everyone for free. Maybe they will in the future. But for now, I think $30 per year is a small price to pay for the added security and convenience of the BBM Protected platform.
    The added $30 per year may raise security to the same level as iMessage but for me at least, there are a lot of people I can send an iMessage to, I know nobody who uses BBM.

What makes you think iOS is any more vulnerable than BB 10, its definitely more secure than Android (BBs new choice of OS).
    04-21-16 07:59 PM
    Paranoia! Governments always had the right to wire tap with a warrant. This is no different.
    04-21-16 08:31 PM
    Paranoia! Governments always had the right to wire tap with a warrant. This is no different.
    Not to tap everyone's phone with a global key.
    04-21-16 08:33 PM
    The added $30 per year may raise security to the same level as iMessage but for me at least, there are a lot of people I can send an iMessage to, I know nobody who uses BBM.

What makes you think iOS is any more vulnerable than BB 10, its definitely more secure than Android (BBs new choice of OS).
    Do a quick search. Imessage has been broken. May have been fixed in latest update. But it was broken once and it's probable it can be broken again.
    Oh and imessage doesn't verify encryption keys when sending or receiving messages. That's a flaw that can be exploited.

BBM protected is more secure than imessage.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 08:38 PM
    Do a quick search. Imessage has been broken. May have been fixed in latest update. But it was broken once and it's probable it can be broken again.
    Oh and imessage doesn't verify encryption keys when sending or receiving messages. That's a flaw that can be exploited.

BBM protected is more secure than imessage.

Posted via CB10
    The biggest nail always gets the hammer.
    04-21-16 08:42 PM
119 12345