Right. And you'd be living in a mansion in the hills... and all you'd have to do is get Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg to give you $100M.

Google Play Services belongs to... GOOGLE! Other companies don't get to just take it as they like and put it on their devices. Companies that want it for their devices have to license it from Google, and there are rules and restrictions of that license, one of which is that the phone must be running Android and only Android. Another is that the implementation of Android has to pass a bunch of compatibility tests (which BB10's runtime would fail). The company must also be an OHA member, and follow OHA rules.

In other words, it was never possible for Chen or anyone else to "add Google Play Services" to BB10. This was well understood back in 2010 when BB bought QNX and decided to make their own OS and ecosystem - they eventually succeeded in the former but failed spectacularly in the latter. But their failure doesn't mean they simply get to steal from another company and use that company's property to compete against them.
    I believe he was joking
    11-02-15 04:41 AM
    But it will definitely not sell in the same league as nexus devices. And it's not marketed do to so because the people at blackberry aim for smaller segments of the market, and that's the best decision in my opinion.
    I think Blackberry has turned to Android because it is aiming at a LARGER segment. Why would they continue to aim for failing sales numbers?
    11-02-15 07:41 AM
    BlackBerry once sold 6 million phones per quarter aiming at the business segment. Now they pretty much lost it. They need to recover a portion of those business customers in order to recover the glamour that was once associated with the blackberry brand. Then and only then will the general crowd come back. That's my opinion
    11-02-15 07:53 AM
    95% of Android users are not excited about the Priv.
    If 5% of Android users are excited, and 20% of them purchase the phone in the next 14 months, BlackBerry's hardware business will be on a solid footing. BlackBerry does not need to achieve the same level of penetration as Samsung.

There are many, many market segments using Android. From high-end gearheads paying US $1K+ to budget users paying <$100. Some love the Android platform, and others just hate Apple's iOS. Blackberry has produced a unique device that it hopes will appeal strongly to a small percentage of them who value one or more of the following:
    - A physical keyboard
    - BlackBerry's unique productivity applications
    - BlackBerry's proprietary security implementation
    - Greater awareness and control over app permissions
    - a unique form factor
    - the BlackBerry brand

Blackberry will have good distribution for the Priv at launch, so we will find out shortly whether or not this device will sell.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:08 AM
    Regardless of whether it's googles property, bringing Google services to bb10 benefits Google and makes them money. Blackberry users would be buying their movies, music, apps and games.

Posted via CB10
    If this was your response to his post, there is no need for further discussion. U simply don't get it lol

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 09:28 AM
    If 5% of Android users are excited, and 20% of them purchase the phone in the next 14 months, BlackBerry's hardware business will be on a solid footing. BlackBerry does not need to achieve the same level of penetration as Samsung.
    Not remotely. The flagship segment (that's $400+) constitutes 20% of Android sales per annum. Assuming the vaunted projection of 1.5bn sales (which I find ludicrous in an already saturated mobile market and the heavy downturns in China, which is one of Android's largest user bases), that's around 300mn users, 5% consideration brings you to 15mn prospective customers, and 20% through to POS brings you to around 3mn sales total (which is in line but slightly over my estimates in another thread). In point of fact, I find it tremendously unlikely for 20% translation, given BBRY's brand equity and questions about the phone's longevity, should it be unsuccessful.

There are many, many market segments using Android. From high-end gearheads paying US $1K+ to budget users paying <$100. Some love the Android platform, and others just hate Apple's iOS. Blackberry has produced a unique device that it hopes will appeal strongly to a small percentage of them who value one or more of the following:
    - A physical keyboard
    - BlackBerry's unique productivity applications
    - BlackBerry's proprietary security implementation
    - Greater awareness and control over app permissions
    - a unique form factor
    - the BlackBerry brand
    Please stop deluding yourself on this. The Blackberry name in the broad market is a depressing mix of mud and utter lack of awareness, beyond being thought of as defunct. Samsung has KNOX, which Chen has admitted has roughly equivalent security, so no uniqueness there. Experience Suite is coming cross-platform, so no uniqueness there. Granular permission of apps is available in Marshmallow, so no uniqueness there. You're left with a physical keyboard and good camera and an SD slot. Good things to have, but not device movers in the broader marker (except the camera, and that's dependent on BB camera software vs Google being present), and certainly not in the flagship market.
    Last edited by JohnGrey; 11-02-15 at 10:29 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-02-15 10:17 AM
    Canadians are over represented on CB relative to their population. The USA market is ten times larger. The interest in the PRIV here in Canada is five times what it is in the UK or the USA. On CB it appears like there is a party going on when in fact there is not. I think this phone will sell well enough for Chen to declare that he made the right decision. Hopefully he will fill out the line up in 2016.
    11-02-15 10:19 AM
    I just hope that BlackBerry will continue development on BlackBerry 10 OS. Any new feature should they add to Android Hub, Contacts apps etc should be also added to the BB10 versions of these apps

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails I feel like I'm missing out on that party...-fb_img_1445810981507.jpg  
    11-02-15 10:24 AM
    But it will definitely not sell in the same league as nexus devices. And it's not marketed do to so because the people at blackberry aim for smaller segments of the market, and that's the best decision in my opinion.
    Well, to beat the Nexus would be a very high benchmark. It's the reference Android device which has proven itself over the last few years whereas the Priv is almost an experiment yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 11:26 AM
    Meh it's not a big loss to me. Had android don't feel like going back. I will one day when my Z10 is lost, broken or stolen since Z2 still works. But other than that no thanks. Goodbye BlackBerry. It's been a slice.

Mind you a BlackBerry 10 high end all touch? Maybe an updated fancy Classic? I'd come back for that.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 11:29 AM
    Well, to beat the Nexus would be a very high benchmark. It's the reference Android device which has proven itself over the last few years whereas the Priv is almost an experiment yet.

Posted via CB10
    Eh, I think calling it a simple experiment isn't sufficient because the implication is that if it doesn't work they'll simply try something else. Regardless of about whatever else John Chen has been vague, the Priv being BBRY's last chance at hardware is not one of them. In that context, BBRY hardware doesn't have the brand equity to simply 'court' the enterprise segment and hope to survive at the Priv's current price point.
    11-02-15 11:34 AM
    Not remotely. The flagship segment (that's $400+) constitutes 20% of Android sales per annum. Assuming the vaunted projection of 1.5bn sales (which I find ludicrous in an already saturated mobile market and the heavy downturns in China, which is one of Android's largest user bases), that's around 300mn users, 5% consideration brings you to 15mn prospective customers, and 20% through to POS brings you to around 3mn sales total (which is in line but slightly over my estimates in another thread). In point of fact, I find it tremendously unlikely for 20% translation, given BBRY's brand equity and questions about the phone's longevity, should it be unsuccessful.

Please stop deluding yourself on this. The Blackberry name in the broad market is a depressing mix of mud and utter lack of awareness, beyond being thought of as defunct. Samsung has KNOX, which Chen has admitted has roughly equivalent security, so no uniqueness there. Experience Suite is coming cross-platform, so no uniqueness there. Granular permission of apps is available in Marshmallow, so no uniqueness there. You're left with a physical keyboard and good camera and an SD slot. Good things to have, but not device movers in the broader marker (except the camera, and that's dependent on BB camera software vs Google being present), and certainly not in the flagship market.
    You may be right. If they sell 5M units in 14 months, then BlackBerry will have met their goal of stabilizing handset sales. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 12:15 PM
    Eh, I think calling it a simple experiment isn't sufficient because the implication is that if it doesn't work they'll simply try something else. Regardless of about whatever else John Chen has been vague, the Priv being BBRY's last chance at hardware is not one of them. In that context, BBRY hardware doesn't have the brand equity to simply 'court' the enterprise segment and hope to survive at the Priv's current price point.
    They would "try something else" -- transitioning out of hardware. They are clearly prepared to do that. If I'm CEO, I would consider this a VERY simple experiment: Without betting the farm, financially, release a really decent Android device and ensure decent channel support. 1) If Priv sells 5M units in 2016, Android hardware market is viable...develop more devices; 2) If Priv fails to gain traction, BlackBerry devices are not worth the investment.

I would also argue that it's a valid experiment. If the Priv doen't sell the minimum quantity needed to break even, then BlackBerry really isn't a viable handset maker anymore. I know that the Priv form factor isn't for everyone, but it plays to BlackBerry's strengths and is a good test platform.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 11-02-15 at 12:36 PM.
    11-02-15 12:25 PM
38 12