I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

The fact that Netflix and Instagram did not even bother porting to BB10 on day 1, sealed the deal in my eyes. That was the end right then. Feb 2013. This proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ecosystem war for BB10 was over before it started.

Also, to me, getting the Google Apps on launch day was a necessarily baseline. Without those, there wasn't even a remote chance. More than the apps themselves, it would have shown a commitment level from a major player.
    More prescient than myself. I didn't start to feel this way until BlackBerry Live 2013.

4 months in to BB10 and nothing to show at the developer conference except for Peek & Flow (again).

Not a good sign.
    02-21-16 12:11 PM
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

The fact that Netflix and Instagram did not even bother porting to BB10 on day 1, sealed the deal in my eyes. That was the end right then. Feb 2013. This proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ecosystem war for BB10 was over before it started.

Also, to me, getting the Google Apps on launch day was a necessarily baseline. Without those, there wasn't even a remote chance. More than the apps themselves, it would have shown a commitment level from a major player.
    Agreed. I also seem to remember PayPal being on that short list of apps that if BB10 didn't get it, they were going to die....because afterall, it was on BBOS.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-21-16 12:27 PM
    Agreed. I also seem to remember PayPal being on that short list of apps that if BB10 didn't get it, they were going to die....because afterall, it was on BBOS.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    So... if all you experts are correct then BlackBerry should have just thrown in the towel and surrendered in 2011... and I'm not sure why you're all still here.

For the past couple years I only stay in the hopes they fire Chen and hire someone with vision.

But frankly now it's way too late for even a hail Mary... so I'm almost done here...
    02-21-16 01:25 PM
    So... if all you experts are correct then BlackBerry should have just thrown in the towel and surrendered in 2011... and I'm not sure why you're all still here.

For the past couple years I only stay in the hopes they fire Chen and hire someone with vision.

But frankly now it's way too late for even a hail Mary... so I'm almost done here...
    No, BlackBerry should've either A) figured out how to get applications on BB10 well in advance of its launch. B) Gone with Android in the first place.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got BB10 out of it. I enjoy using my Z30, but if they were expecting to gain any traction without an application suite to match other ecosystems they were kidding themselves. I know too many people who hopped on to BlackBerry 10 only to leave because it didn't offer what other platforms were. What was that? Apps. It always was apps, always will be apps. They play a bigger role in Mobile platforms than users on CB (not saying you) like to let on.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tufcustomer; 02-21-16 at 02:36 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-21-16 01:33 PM
    So... if all you experts are correct then BlackBerry should have just thrown in the towel and surrendered in 2011...
    Knowing what we know now? Then yes - at least for devices.

With the full benefit of hindsight, they should have ramped up development on cross platform EMM and BBM. They would have saved billions, and would probably OWN the EMM and IM markets.
    JeepBB, Elephant_Canyon and Witmen like this.
    02-21-16 01:49 PM

None of us claimed to be experts. When BB10 came out I was here defending it and hoping it would take off. I don't remember seeing you here but I could be wrong. Many people were angry they were leaving BBOS behind, still, I defended BB10. I was the first person at my local AT&T to get the Z10 (OK, I was the only one in line which should have been a clue). The OS was not ready, the battery life was horrible, and I had already been burned by the Playbook. It was shortly after then it clicked with me: BB10 didn't have a chance.

Those are my thoughts, like them or not.
    JeepBB and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-21-16 01:49 PM
    The OS was not ready, the battery life was horrible, and I had already been burned by the Playbook. It was shortly after then it clicked with me: BB10 didn't have a chance.
    Which is pretty much the story for me too... except I read all the posts here on CB from disappointed Z10 buyers and I didn't buy a Z10 despite patiently waiting a further 6-months after the June'12 postponement with that intent. A delay which Thor said was necessary to ensure BB10 was "perfected" (Dear Lord! ) before release.

I have to confess that I thought BB10 had a slim chance even after the late and botched launch in February'13 ... I stopped thinking that when the "For Sale" boards went up in September'13... BB10 was doomed from that point. I've spent the last few years here wondering why something that seemed so obvious to me (that BB10 was done) wasn't also seen by many (most?) of the CB posters. Many's the time I've wondered what I was missing... but, it seems I was right after all.

They tried. It didn't work. And BB's been going through the motions for the last 3-years because they had nothing else to offer as an alternative to BB10. Kinda sad really.

I doubt the Priv will be given the benefit of the doubt for nearly as long as BB10 was. BB now have a history of serially failing and abandoning stuff. Unless the Priv sells like billy-oh (I reckon sales of a couple of million are needed to make a credible dent in the 5M/year target in this critical first, full quarter) then the buying public will forget the Priv by the Summer and BB would be wasting their time releasing the Vienna later in 2016 (if they ever do) as it won't sell beyond handfuls.

Then, sometime in 2017, someone will make a note for the history books that BB exited Hardware in 2016.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-21-16 02:40 PM
    That's s good point. Their recent history make the Priv a long shot. People have moved on and probably won't come back to get burned again.
    02-21-16 03:02 PM
    If they can sell 600k of the PRIV per quarter and the Vienna sells 700 K they should be OK and grow from there. The Vienna should sell better than the PRIV. ...but maybe not.

Should we find out at the MWC?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 03:33 PM
    If they can sell 600k of the PRIV per quarter and the Vienna sells 700 K they should be OK and grow from there. The Vienna should sell better than the PRIV. ...but maybe not.

Should we find out at the MWC?

Posted via CB10
    The priv and the Vienna will have split the pkb market between them. And the ASP will go down.
    02-21-16 03:35 PM
    BlackBerry tried their damned hardest with BB10. The real problem is that everyone else didn't want to try BB10, and those that did returned their devices due to BBWorld not having popular apps. Blackberry had no element of control over this as app eco system is a two OS game.

SnapChat development team only wish to develop for Android and IOS, same story with most other popular social networking outlets.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    02-21-16 04:08 PM
    BlackBerry tried their damned hardest with BB10. The real problem is that everyone else didn't want to try BB10, and those that did returned their devices due to BBWorld not having popular apps. Blackberry had no element of control over this as app eco system is a two OS game.

SnapChat development team only wish to develop for Android and IOS, same story with most other popular social networking outlets.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    They did try their absolute hardest that's for sure. It's easy to say "I feel they didn't even try" now that they seem to be on the way down.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 04:41 PM
    The priv and the Vienna will have split the pkb market between them. And the ASP will go down.
    Not really...real PKB folk will go for the Vienna. Vienna will have more appeal to former PKB owners. The slider is too big of a compromise for many. The Vienna is in a different market. PRIV is not a hard core PKB device like a Passport / Classic/ 9900.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 04:44 PM
    Not really...real PKB folk will go for the Vienna. Vienna will have more appeal to former PKB owners. The slider is too big of a compromise for many. The Vienna is in a different market. PRIV is not a hard core PKB device like a Passport / Classic/ 9900.

Posted via CB10
    What market does the Priv target if not PKB?
    02-21-16 05:23 PM
    What market does the Priv target if not PKB?
    Good question. I think the PRIV appeals more to users who want the option to use a PKB as opposed to those who would use the PKB all the time. For the full time PKB user, the Vienna should provide a better PKB experience. This is pure speculation on my part.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 06:06 PM
    Good question. I think the PRIV appeals more to users who want the option to use a PKB as opposed to those who would use the PKB all the time. For the full time PKB user, the Vienna should provide a better PKB experience. This is pure speculation on my part.
    Posted via CB10
    I would think full time PKB users are a much smaller market these days than those who may want one as an option ( and the Priv would be more flexible in this case). Most phone buyers have decided they don't need a PKB. That's not to say the Vienna doesn't have a market but I'm not sure it would sell better than the Priv unless it's markedly cheaper.
    02-21-16 10:34 PM
    I do like the Priv better then bb10 now after using for almost 4 months. So your comparing all the bb10 models sold to the Priv that's just one phone. Just saying bb10 lacks what most people want. A good camera and social media apps. Plus loyal Bb10 users are the new bb7 users.They don't wanna part with there out dated phones.
    02-22-16 03:27 PM
    So... if all you experts are correct then BlackBerry should have just thrown in the towel and surrendered in 2011
    Yup, they should've started working on Android as soon as the Storm failed. If they had, we might be looking at a very different mobile landscape today, with Blackberry in the position now currently occupied by Samsung.
    TgeekB, GadgetTravel and Witmen like this.
    02-22-16 05:10 PM
    Droid 1 wasn't much better than the Storm 2, although released at the same time.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-22-16 05:14 PM
    Yup, they should've started working on Android as soon as the Storm failed. If they had, we might be looking at a very different mobile landscape today, with Blackberry in the position now currently occupied by Samsung.
    I can see it now, "Crapdroid" would be the greatest OS since BBOS lol.

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    02-22-16 07:30 PM
    I do like the Priv better then bb10 now after using for almost 4 months. So your comparing all the bb10 models sold to the Priv that's just one phone. Just saying bb10 lacks what most people want. A good camera and social media apps. Plus loyal Bb10 users are the new bb7 users. They don't wanna part with there out dated phones.
    Being datamined by Google was not the reason why BBOS users did not switch to BB10.
    That is the most common reason why those who are still on BB10 did not switch to the Priv.
    It's got nothing to do with outdated phones.
    If the Priv had come with BB10, same hardware and different OS, it would have already sold in much larger numbers than the Priv has done.

If you want Google play store and android apps, you have many more safer options than the Priv, without having to worry that Priv would be the last android phone made by BlackBerry. Especially since Chen already made certain to warn you on the Priv's launch that he would go out of hardware if priv would not sell well, which we already know isn't...
    02-22-16 11:42 PM
    Being datamined by Google was not the reason why BBOS users did not switch to BB10.
    That is the most common reason why those who are still on BB10 did not switch to the Priv.
    It's got nothing to do with outdated phones.
    If the Priv had come with BB10, same hardware and different OS, it would have already sold in much larger numbers than the Priv has done.

If you want Google play store and android apps, you have many more safer options than the Priv, without having to worry that Priv would be the last android phone made by BlackBerry. Especially since Chen already made certain to warn you on the Priv's launch that he would go out of hardware if priv would not sell well, which we already know isn't...
    The Leap, Classic and Passport have not met sales expectations. Most likely the market for a high end BB10 device is just not there. The Android PRIV is a hail Mary pass. It could be a modest success or a dud but the old path was not working either.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-23-16 02:04 AM
    BlackBerry 10 will continue to live!!!!!
    Last edited by Calvin8181; 02-23-16 at 08:05 AM.
    02-23-16 02:10 AM
    The Leap, Classic and Passport have not met sales expectations. Most likely the market for a high end BB10 device is just not there. The Android PRIV is a hail Mary pass. It could be a modest success or a dud but the old path was not working either.

Posted via CB10
    The reason is lack of support from BlackBerry, starting with the CEOs and their self-defeating announcements. No marketing either.
    That's why bb10 did not meet sales expectations and that is why Priv has even lower expectations and sales than the Passport, for example.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-23-16 05:20 AM

if priv would not sell well, which we already know isn't...

Three utterly unsubstantiated statements.
    02-23-16 05:52 AM
352 ... 1011121314 ...