They tried. Selling phones with sh*tty cameras, no apps. Lets be real. People need a lil uber in there lives
    02-10-16 07:54 AM
    Even after 3 years of launch BlackBerry can't educate consumers basic swipe up and down gestures . I can operate iPhone, windows and android but none of mentioned 3 platform user can operate a bb10 device. No advertising and lack of advocacy. No advertising no billboards

Posted via Priv...
    I agree. My daughter still can't swipe on my BB10 phones.
    The swipe gestures was the main reason for lack of adoption on launch of BB10. Not lack of apps.
    If indeed it is true that of the current 30M BlackBerry users, 20M are still on BBOS, this RESOUNDINGLY proves that it wasn't lack of apps that prevented the move of BBOS users to BB10.
    The horribly poor sales of the Priv also prove that.
    02-10-16 08:42 AM
    They tried. Selling phones with sh*tty cameras, no apps. Lets be real. People need a lil uber in there lives
    You are right. That's why Priv is selling like hot cakes...less than BB10 phones. Uber and 2M android apps can't make up for poor management and lack of advertising to make people aware that BlackBerry still exists.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-10-16 08:45 AM
    One can't know what is a Blackberry unless if he/she tries a Blackberry. I own all kind of phones, starting from Symbian, Windows, iOS, Android. And then I got a Blackberry Q10 when I discovered the supremacy of the BB10. Now I have a passport and I hope that Blackberry will not discard this magnificent OS, because it's smooth, ultrafast, elegant, stable. BB10 is the identity of Blackberry, not Android.
    sakin13 and acovey like this.
    02-10-16 08:57 AM
    I didn't say they didn't work hard. They did. They just didn't work smart.

Posted via CB10
    Nor did they work hard enough...I agree that not everyone wants all the "latest apps", which is why bb probably does better in conservative climates but it's apparent that the conservative market or even just us who have supported bb for that matter, is not enough.
    02-10-16 09:07 AM
    One can't know what is a Blackberry unless if he/she tries a Blackberry. I own all kind of phones, starting from Symbian, Windows, iOS, Android. And then I got a Blackberry Q10 when I discovered the supremacy of the BB10. Now I have a passport and I hope that Blackberry will not discard this magnificent OS, because it's smooth, ultrafast, elegant, stable. BB10 is the identity of Blackberry, not Android.
    diddo...
    acovey likes this.
    02-10-16 09:08 AM
    I couldnt have put it better.

BB10 is by far the most efficient, smoothest and relatively trouble free OS out there. and i have been using alongside with Blackberry iOS since inception and occasionally the android.

if this OS was launched a couple years before they did, it would definitely have a decent share of the market ( i estimate around 10% )

it would be a shame for that OS to just fade away. I am sure that BB10 would be handled better in the hands of another company. Just sell it mr Chen.
    acovey likes this.
    02-10-16 09:43 AM
    It is the best OS I have used, and if/ when it dies, a little part of me will die with it. There are some things BB is great at, some things they are good at, but public perception they are really bad at. I think in the end that is what hurt them the most. If only.....this....and that, but too late now.
    Gazza12 likes this.
    02-10-16 10:22 AM
    Even after 3 years of launch BlackBerry can't educate consumers basic swipe up and down gestures . I can operate iPhone, windows and android but none of mentioned 3 platform user can operate a bb10 device.

Posted via Priv...
    I thought BB10 was supposed to be the most intuitive OS. Apparently, it's not.
    I can operate all of them. Add webos to that list too.

Blanket statements are dangerous.
    02-10-16 10:27 AM
    it would be a shame for that OS to just fade away. I am sure that BB10 would be handled better in the hands of another company. Just sell it mr Chen.
    I think most of us can agree that it's a shame for BB10 to just fade away. But as for selling it...that was tried too. If anybody saw real value in BB10, they could just have bought the company. Granted BB10 is not the whole company, but if BB10 were put up for sale on its own, would anyone buy it? Is there any company out there that thinks they could do what BlackBerry itself failed to do with BB10?
    02-10-16 11:20 AM
    I think most of us can agree that it's a shame for BB10 to just fade away. But as for selling it...that was tried too. If anybody saw real value in BB10, they could just have bought the company. Granted BB10 is not the whole company, but if BB10 were put up for sale on its own, would anyone buy it? Is there any company out there that thinks they could do what BlackBerry itself failed to do with BB10?
    If I remember correctly, Lenovo tried that but fell afoul of the Canadian government. Having the keys to BlackBerry in the hands of the Chinese would mean Western governments dropping BES/BB10/BBOS en masse.
    02-10-16 01:02 PM
    I agree with you they need to convince google to get their service in the bb10 device so all the android app will run perfectly ofcours during the updates
    02-10-16 01:10 PM
    I agree with you they need to convince google to get their service in the bb10 device so all the android app will run perfectly ofcours during the updates
    And how might they go about convincing Google to do that?
    02-10-16 01:13 PM
    Yes. Mike Lazaridis and Qualcomm were before the Board with an offer to buy the whole company. Qualcomm's interest was most likely BB10. Amazon was in discussions, as well. Most other players were primarily interested in BES, but didn't think it was worth 6 billion.

You've got to remember that sans John Chen, BB10 didn't do all that badly. Thor sold five million Z10s and he sold over 7 million phones the first quarter BB10 was released. He had a five year plan to grow BB10, but he was gone before the first year was done. When Chen arrived, he killed almost all efforts to grow the ecosystem and further develop the platform. He almost immediately brought on Ron, reclassified things into "hardware" or "devices." It was pretty clear he did not envision a future for BB10 and that is why BlackBerry did not compete as a platform and probably won't in the future. I can kind of understand his dilemma. He's a very bad businessman and you'd need a good one to absorb the long term cost of building a platform. Sure, the long-term rewards could be awesome, but Chen has one move: cut, slash, burn. It's hard to imagine him competing in the platform wars, but it's easy to imagine him cutting the large expense of BB10. No one should expect a new platform to make money or sell massive numbers in its first couple of years. The iPhone didn't -- BlackBerry destroyed the first generation iPhone in sales with the Bold 9000. Android was even worse before Verizon picked it up after some time. The Board should have hired someone who would grow BlackBerry to greatness, but instead hired someone who promised to cut it to profitability. Next quarter Chen will most likely be profitable, but the cost to the future of BlackBerry has been devestating.
    02-10-16 01:21 PM
    I think they just need google service in the main time because they already run android app in bb10 but most of it need the google service
    02-10-16 01:36 PM
    I think they just need google service in the main time because they already run android app in bb10 but most of it need the google service
    That's a great idea, do you know why they haven't done it yet?
    02-10-16 01:50 PM
    Yes. Mike Lazaridis and Qualcomm were before the Board with an offer to buy the whole company. Qualcomm's interest was most likely BB10. Amazon was in discussions, as well. Most other players were primarily interested in BES, but didn't think it was worth 6 billion.

You've got to remember that sans John Chen, BB10 didn't do all that badly. Thor sold five million Z10s and he sold over 7 million phones the first quarter BB10 was released. He had a five year plan to grow BB10, but he was gone before the first year was done. When Chen arrived, he killed almost all efforts to grow the ecosystem and further develop the platform. He almost immediately brought on Ron, reclassified things into "hardware" or "devices." It was pretty clear he did not envision a future for BB10 and that is why BlackBerry did not compete as a platform and probably won't in the future. I can kind of understand his dilemma. He's a very bad businessman and you'd need a good one to absorb the long term cost of building a platform. Sure, the long-term rewards could be awesome, but Chen has one move: cut, slash, burn. It's hard to imagine him competing in the platform wars, but it's easy to imagine him cutting the large expense of BB10. No one should expect a new platform to make money or sell massive numbers in its first couple of years. The iPhone didn't -- BlackBerry destroyed the first generation iPhone in sales with the Bold 9000. Android was even worse before Verizon picked it up after some time. The Board should have hired someone who would grow BlackBerry to greatness, but instead hired someone who promised to cut it to profitability. Next quarter Chen will most likely be profitable, but the cost to the future of BlackBerry has been devestating.
    Absolutely spot on!!
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    02-10-16 02:01 PM
    Except for the flopped Super Bowl ad there was NO real marketing of the BB10 o\s. I use my BlackBerry Z10. daily and in meetings I am out performing Iphone and Adroids; people are amazed when they discover its a BlackBerry. BlackBerry failed to market their product; all other smartphones have engaging commercials, why couldn't the market the functionality of the BB10, HUB, Smoothness, ability to multitask etc. Where did they put the billions dollars, it was definitely not in advertising.

Peace.
    crackberry_geek and acovey like this.
    02-10-16 02:59 PM
    That's right... BB didn't try hard enough with BB10. They wanted an Android phone for the pubic and lots of us DO NOT WANT IT! If we did we would of went to google's spyware phones a long time ago.
    Gazza12 and acovey like this.
    02-10-16 04:04 PM
    Well anyone can use the open source Android code and build a workable OS right now. They just lose the crown jewel of Android which is Google Play. But failures such as Amazon and BB10 with the Android runtime showed a lot of companies that an OS without an ecosystem just doesn't sell. Why do you think that even the mighty samsung won't replace Android with their own developed Tizen.
    Questioned were the design decisions made for BB10 when BlackBerry transitioned development from Playbook OS to BB10. Perhaps around the time that the Android environment was added to the Playbook. BlackBerry could have spearheaded a drive for non-Google encumbered Android providing an API that would have allowed the device owner to chose services instead of being tied to Google. Services would not be tied to apps and apps would not be tied to services (i.e. extending the API but retaining compatibility with AOSP). BB10 would be running on top of QNX potentially allowing third party tool developers to support the platform including, but not limited to native development. BlackBerry's open sourced Android APIs would provide a framework for filling in missing services that AOSP adopters could use. Thus creating the beginnings of an non-Google non-Apple "ecosystem" where service providers could compete for customers alongside app developers.

Qt, the basis for Cascades and used for development on QNX Neutrino, was not developed by QNX. A more open platform than iOS and Google's Android (with GMS) would have been and still is an attractive proposition for developers. App development on BB10 didn't need to be any more proprietary than on QNX.
    02-10-16 04:08 PM
    Except for the flopped Super Bowl ad there was NO real marketing of the BB10 o\s. I use my BlackBerry Z10. daily and in meetings I am out performing Iphone and Adroids; people are amazed when they discover its a BlackBerry. BlackBerry failed to market their product; all other smartphones have engaging commercials, why couldn't the market the functionality of the BB10, HUB, Smoothness, ability to multitask etc. Where did they put the billions dollars, it was definitely not in advertising.

Peace.
    They actually doubled their ad spending to about $90 million US after they got the billion dollars. That's a lot for them but it won't cut it the same here both Apple and Sam song did more than $350 million on phone ads alone (each).
    02-10-16 04:11 PM
    Lenovo sniffed the waters. At the time they were not that big of a company and already were working on two major acquisitions. I bet the state of BlackBerry's finances scared them off more than the Canadian Government. BlackBerry at the time was losing massive amounts of money. They are the 5th largest mobile phone company in the world. I doubt Lenovo had any interest in getting into the OS business.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-16 05:10 PM

Peace.
    No, BB spent millions on the launch of BB10. Did you never visit a phone store in the Spring of 2013? Every store I went into had BB10 advertising. BB had a major launch of the new OS. The type of marketing BB had for the launch was very expensive and requires a lot of employees. The problem was two fold, the OS was just too late to the market and BB10 was buggy and was not ready for release. Retailers had high level of returns. By September BlackBerry was swimming in unsold inventory of BB10 phones. BlackBerry finances were in shambles and the Sr. Mgnt and Board gave up and posted a For Sale sign on the company.

Today one of the biggest problems BlackBerry has is the absence of any employees calling on retailers. Thor layed off all of the field reps before he was let go. I doubt any person currently working in retail phone stores has ever met anybody from BlackBerry.
    JeepBB, pantlesspenguin and acovey like this.
    02-10-16 05:19 PM
    That's a great idea, do you know why they haven't done it yet?
    Leaving your sarcasm aside, if it were such a great idea, why isn't Priv selling?
    I for one would not buy a BB10 phone with Google Play Services unless Google could be entirely uninstalled from the phone.
    It looks like a sizable number of bb10 users agree with me because they have not moved to the Priv.
    BlackBerry desperately sends me emails every month trying to convince me to buy a Priv despite me responding to them that I do not want Google data mining my phones and laptops.
    02-10-16 05:43 PM
    Craigdh1: Dead on!
    02-10-16 05:44 PM
352 ... 45678 ...