I agree with no product being updated. But the classic was essentially and update from the Q10 and 9900. Passport came out of nowhere, and the Z10 became the Z30. If not directly, then they are the spiritual successors.

Hopefully under Chen they release one new BB10 phone a year, but as of right now thats a long shot especially since blackberry is only releasing Android phones for 2016.

I would love to see a Passport+Classic hybrid!! Have had the Passport for 8 months now and I rarely keep the phone in my front pocket anymore because of the width. I hold it in my hand or jacket pocket.

As to what you could upgrade to after your classic...try a passport haha. Otherwise keep on hoping like the rest of us =)

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport!
    shoaib2811 likes this.
    02-07-16 05:19 PM
    When did spending a couple of $$billion of dollars in supporting your own OS does not count as "trying" anymore. Only in the Crackberry forums.
    02-07-16 05:30 PM
    It wasn't that bad. Beta at best is a pretty big exaggeration.
    It was unfinished, no arguing that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-16 06:03 PM
    If Blackberry OS10 would have been released a year before it officially was, then they might have had a chance, but as other folks have stated. The bar was already set by then and Android and IOS where well on their way of being the dominant platforms.
    And think with 190 million BBM users...if they would have gone cross platform a year earlier BBM would be up there as one of the dominant messaging services. However, it is still gaining traction

Posted via My BlackBerry PRIV cause I'm a Priviot
    02-07-16 06:11 PM
    Yes, it is.

There is no money and no will for further BB10 development. BB have clearly stated the future is Android.

Even if BB were minded to do either of the above, why would Google play ball? What's in it for Google?

IMO, the most likely outcome if BB were to update the Android RT in BB10 would be for Google to declare BB in violation of the OHA agreements (recall Google is judge and jury in deciding what constitutes a violation) and insist that the Priv remove access to the Google Play Store... which would kill the Priv deader than dead!
    I'm not naive to believe Google would play ball. With all these supposed security enhancements to Android, one would think there's a quid pro quo where BlackBerry secures Android, and in return Google would allow BlackBerry to insert easier Google Play Store access into a future version of BlackBerry 10. Really, hopefully BlackBerry has planned for the Priv and Vienna to bring some cash infusion to allow more BB10 development so that BlackBerry can offer both Android and BB10 lines of smartphones.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW 100-3 Z30.
    shoaib2811 likes this.
    02-07-16 06:21 PM
    Is this what the the bargaining phase looks like?
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is in no position to bargain. Not sure why Google or some other company interested in the enterprise would not want to make a bid to buy BlackBerry. A new owner with $$$ would be able to further upgrade BB10 to Qt5, put 2016 Snapdragon internals into the Classic and Z30 form factors, and develop QNX to take or maintain the lead in the next frontier of mobile electronics: the car.

02-07-16 06:30 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is in no position to bargain. Not sure why Google or some other company interested in the enterprise would not want to make a bid to buy BlackBerry. A new owner with $$$ would be able to further upgrade BB10 to Qt5, put 2016 Snapdragon internals into the Classic and Z30 form factors, and develop QNX to take or maintain the lead in the next frontier of mobile electronics: the car.

Do you mean upgrade cascades to support qt5?
    02-07-16 06:33 PM
    I'm not naive to believe Google would play ball. With all these supposed security enhancements to Android, one would think there's a quid pro quo where BlackBerry secures Android, and in return Google would allow BlackBerry to insert easier Google Play Store access into a future version of BlackBerry 10. Really, hopefully BlackBerry has planned for the Priv and Vienna to bring some cash infusion to allow more BB10 development so that BlackBerry can offer both Android and BB10 lines of smartphones.

If such an agreement does exist between Google and Blackberry, then blackberry will still get the short end of the stick. As those security updates becomes part of stock Android. All Android OEM will get those updates. Which will further erode one of BB "differenting" features. And it still won't solve BB ecosystem issue as there is no incentive for developers to develop apps for BB .
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-16 06:38 PM
    And think with 190 million BBM users...if they would have gone cross platform a year earlier BBM would be up there as one of the dominant messaging services. However, it is still gaining traction

Posted via My BlackBerry PRIV cause I'm a Priviot
    So very true, another missed opportunity.
    02-07-16 06:54 PM
    They've been trying for the last three years, unfortunately it didn't worked the way they envisioned it to be.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-16 07:28 PM
    You just took me back. I used to love that app.
    I did to. It was a great app.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 09:52 PM
    Yes, I agree.

Whilst Conite is correct in that BB threw in a lot of time, money and effort in launching BB10, it was all kind of unfocused as if they really didn't know who their sales target really was... consumer? business? both?

I think there was also the arrogant assumption that all BBOS users would adopt the new BB10 platform pretty much from day 1. In a kind of "if you build it, they will come" way. Unfortunately "Field of Dreams" was a fantasy, and so it turned out was any hope of the millions of BBOS guys switching to BB10 - many (most?) still haven't!

IIRC : of the 30M BB userbase, 20M are still on BBOS.

Introducing a new OS platform, with few Apps, and with an entirely new group of users (having abandoned millions of your existing BBOS users) was always going to be an uphill struggle and the reality is that it was likely over for BB10 before the end of 2013.
    No, the launch was a total disaster because the product quality was poor. At best BB10 1.0 was beta quality. The OS was only really ready with the release of 2.1. As the saying goes it is almost impossible to make a good second impression when the first was so bad. In addition by September all of the news about about the company was negative, for good reasons. The management team at BlackBerry had given up on the company and posted for sale signs everywhere. No major organization is going to invest in an organization that does not believe in its own future.
    02-07-16 11:15 PM
    It's still not too late. If I were running BlackBerry, I would start by ordering development of application support for Qt 5 for a future 10.4 or 10.5. BB10 Android runtime to support Marshmallow 6.0 is critical and necessary for BB10 to survive. Getting Google Play Services on BB10 would be nice, too, but BlackBerry would have to convince Google to play along.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    And who is going to do this work? Most of the BB10 team works for other companies.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-16 11:16 PM
    Do you mean upgrade cascades to support qt5?
    Yes

02-08-16 12:21 AM
    And who is going to do this work? Most of the BB10 team works for other companies.
    Good question. BlackBerry can best answer it. Talent is out there. If BlackBerry cares badly enough, it fill find that talent.

02-08-16 12:27 AM
    Yes

We're you suggesting that this is somehow required to support the android m runtime and if so, how?
    02-08-16 01:25 AM

If BB had anything that Google wanted, they wouldn't bargain for it; Google would simply buy BB for (for them) chump-change.

No, I'm sorry, but this is another in a long line of "Some other company should spend money/time because it will benefit BlackBerry" posts that I regularly see on CB.

BB10 is done. Acceptance is that way ->

You'll feel better when you get there.
    Witmen likes this.
    02-08-16 01:26 AM

Google can "win" in IOT and the automobile space without any help from BB; and without acquiring the commercial and financial disaster that is BB10. BB10 came close to destroying BB, and might still do so if the Priv and the transition to Software fail. Why would any other company want BB10?!
    madcat72 likes this.
    02-08-16 01:32 AM
    No, the launch was a total disaster because the product quality was poor. At best BB10 1.0 was beta quality. The OS was only really ready with the release of 2.1. As the saying goes it is almost impossible to make a good second impression when the first was so bad. In addition by September all of the news about about the company was negative, for good reasons. The management team at BlackBerry had given up on the company and posted for sale signs everywhere. No major organization is going to invest in an organization that does not believe in its own future.
    I agree that BB10.0 was unfinished, but that doesn't negate my point that BB spent considerable time, money and effort in trying to build success.

I almost feel sorry for BB's sales & marketing guys. You'd think BB would have learned from the Playbook that it helps enormously to have finished the product *before* the launch!

As you say, there is only one chance to make a first impression.

My own thoughts are that BB themselves knew that both the PB OS and BB10 OS weren't ready for prime time, but that the commercial imperative of launching (basically the world wasn't prepared to wait any longer, so they had to pull the trigger) won out... and they launched with an unfinished, buggy OS ... twice.

I am slightly surprised that BB seem to have done the same thing with the Priv and its BB Apps, but I suspect the need to get revenue (fast!) has again won out over the readiness of the product to be released.
    02-08-16 01:49 AM
    It's too late now and I will use mine till it dies but what I will never understand is why with all the money and effort at the start they didn't take the top 100 apple and Google apps and make a bb10 version.

It was the lack of apps that started the demise.
    Gazza12 likes this.
    02-08-16 05:47 AM
    They tried, but they failed just as hard as they tried. Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 05:55 AM
    Its odd that everyone blames BB10 for Blackberry's failure. Look at the sales over the last 8 years. BB10 was actually the only thing that slowed the decline.
    BB10's launch was not great but Storm with BBOS 4.7 was MUUUCH worse. Even the first few versions of 5.0 were pretty lousy but because they were improvements over 4.7 it was forgivable.
    02-08-16 07:07 AM
    It's too late now and I will use mine till it dies but what I will never understand is why with all the money and effort at the start they didn't take the top 100 apple and Google apps and make a bb10 version.
    You can only make those apps if the owner permits access to the APIs. Not all do. Some development houses simply don't want third-party apps out there. They have good reason, too. Facebook does allow third-party access, but I imagine when they look at the hot mess BlackBerry created they have second thoughts about it.
    02-08-16 08:18 AM
    4- I do not need all the apps of Android and ios and I believe there are many people like me
    You have a choice of two automobiles. They are the exact same in price and specifications except one of them has GPS included. You never use GPS. Are both these cars the exact same to you? Because I would think most people would be greedy and take the one with the GPS even if they never use it.

The market for individuals who use no apps is already small and the one who will put up with missing standard features is even smaller. (That's ignoring the fact that BBRY wants you to pay more for their phones versus similarly spec'ed competing Android devices.)
    02-08-16 09:10 AM
    I wouldn't say they didn't try. But they could have done better. They aren't advertising like they are with the priv.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 09:29 AM
352 1234 ...