I like the idea as a whole. Have a really high end version of a BlackBerry but at the same time they never offer anything more than an ugly design.

Why don't they work together and use the next generation phones for the Porsche Design?

Like instead of using the Z10 as the template why not juice up a Z30 with a magnesium exterior and the latest in glass technology. Give it a full HD screen and max out the specs then charge $3000 for it. Ppl paid $2000 for the 9981 imagine what they would pay to get the latest greatest from both of these companies first!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 12:57 PM
    It certainly is a great way of implying that the other 99% of the smartphones you sell are not produced with great design in mind. Apple, on the other hand, tells every iPhone customer that what they are buying is a work of art. Even their marketing and retail stores are designed to reinforce that.
    09-06-13 01:06 PM
    I don't get it either. I don't care for the design.

As with the majority of status symbols, it's about having something that is considered premium and is limited availability.

Meh.....now a red Q??? I'd sell my soul to the devil for that....
    09-06-13 01:08 PM
    Simple really... People with more money than they know what to do with, will spend obscene amounts of money on anything. Quality and sensibility takes a back seat to status quo.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 09-06-13 at 01:28 PM.
    rthonpm and AndreyLepher like this.
    09-06-13 01:12 PM
    What they should do is use materials found in an actual porsche. Not only for the porsche but for all the models. Since bb10 phones have a car series style naming design it like a car. Cheap to ultra luxury models.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:23 PM
    All I know is that it's an acquired taste......I will take one in BLACK please
    09-06-13 01:28 PM
    I don't think that Porsche design has anything to do with Porsche the automobile.
    h20work likes this.
    09-06-13 01:30 PM
    It really doesn't need to have all those things, they sell and make BlackBerry a good profit on each one. I don't think increasing the specs would sell any more.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:36 PM
    I thought that the P9981 was the tackiest thing I ever saw, and couldn't believe anyone would pay 10 bucks for it - much less $2000.

But then, I don't think much of the idea of buying something just because it costs a lot of money simply as a way of showing off the fact that one has a lot of money.

That was, after all, the one and only purpose of the 9981. I actually thought less of BlackBerry for making it.

As much as I don't care for Apple's means and methods of their company, they do believe that everyone deserves to have good design in their everyday products. As an architect, I can't fault them for that philosophy.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:46 PM
    It's more about the exclusivity. If I buy a Porsche design z10 it's because I'm going to be the only one around with one. I'd probably go as far as getting it anodized black too.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 02:22 PM
    At the moment, I'm the only person with a stock Z10 - probably in all of Baton Rouge.

It feels fairly exclusive to me, and it cost me 50 bucks.

Posted via CB10
    DoktorFace likes this.
    09-06-13 03:43 PM
    I'm just thinking that if they are going to develop something for a small group at a premium cost why not go all out? Then use that design and it's internals for the next generation of phones. That way it's not wasted it lasts two generations and truly has the best of the best specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 03:49 PM
    Plus if you want celebrities to get them, then what better way? Hell Kanye bought three for him and two friends!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 03:51 PM
    It's not about the specs. For example, if you wear a gucci suit to work, it's very possible that you don't have the best looking suit or even one made with the best materials. But you'll be the only one or very few people with a gucci suit that looks great too.

Posted via CB10
    DoktorFace likes this.
    09-06-13 05:10 PM
    When I buy one.. so long as it is still released. It won't matter what the specs are to me. Why would they? The "regular" Z10 operates wonderfully. It doesn't need much to continue to be a great phone. 1080p? Why? It is a 4" screen.. it could be a 4k screen and I will still not be watching the latest greatest movie on the phone. Owning a Porsche Design Z10 is kind of like owning a Mercedes AMG or Porsche 911 GT1 very few have one - I want to be one of the few. *_*
    09-06-13 05:28 PM
    Exclusivity is the name of the game, not to mention that Porsche Design is considered a pretty prestigious name. The specs won't matter - so long as it looks different, says Porsche Design on it, and is only attainable by people with a heck of a lot of money, they'll sell enough of them.
    09-06-13 05:36 PM
    They should release a baller status phone and make sure everyone in Hollywood gets it.

When people are going to realize that cool people buy 2000$ BlackBerry phones everybody will jump the bandwagon.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 05:40 PM
    All good ideas in this thread. Just thought I'd mention a magnesium body??? Won't that spontaneously com bust if it gets wet.

One hell of a way to check for water damage lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 08:40 AM
    Lol I was just listing random sounding high end materials.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 01:44 PM
    Peirs Morgan and Puff Daddy bought them, also seen many rich arab guys sporting them.
    09-07-13 03:39 PM
    Right and these guys are guys people will want to follow. My point wasn't cancel the Porsche phones but more use them as prototypes with the best specs. The however many months later use the design as the regular models.

Give them a reason to pay $3000.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 04:29 PM