10-08-16 05:43 AM
42 12
tools
    I understand that you can't make 100 million handsets and only have 10 million customers. That would be a disaster, BUT why can't BlackBerry make say example 30,000 handsets and see what happens? Make a ridiculously low number that way a that number would be easy to sell out the worst that could happen is have patiently waiting customers for the next batch of handsets to be made. Apple always has a waiting list but for the opposite reason but that doesn't mean BlackBerry can't do it on a way smaller scale
    I'm sure most of us would rather wait in a waiting list for the new BlackBerry rather then BlackBerry completely exit the hardware.

Is it as simple as BlackBerry not flooding the market with unsold handsets that they seem to Always do?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 11:25 AM
    Because Qualcomm doesn't want to deal with sub-scale numbers and neither do anyone else.
    stlabrat, TGR1, bakron1 and 5 others like this.
    10-06-16 11:30 AM
    Also certain segments need to have mass production in order for you to really have a profit. 30k is a joke. Parts, processors and everything will cost A LOT. You've a company like HTC selling 10 million devices yet they're losing money. For them, that's an awful number.

Think cars and you will understand. Do you see any car manufacturer making 30k cars for a reasonable price? Only the ultra luxury ones and they benefit from the high price range. That's how they started too, some of them even assemble the cars by hand.
    10-06-16 11:37 AM
    Because Qualcomm doesn't want to deal with sub-scale numbers and neither do anyone else.
    "How much for one rib?"
    10-06-16 11:40 AM
    (1) any plastic mould would be costly if you only make few. (2) your vendor wouldn't like you - possibly consider you are "high risk" type (3) look at initial San-Zai-Ji, all metal machined casing - heavy - function per weight value very low... (4) your customer base is wobbly... less royalty... (5) resale value and compatibility might be low if you make it unique... hard to find replacement part, etc. etc. However, if you are willing to pay 3X to 5X of the value per handset with 30K start, might be feasible. (still got some margin to feed workbee).
    web99 and JeepBB like this.
    10-06-16 11:57 AM
    The larger the order the cheaper the manufacturing which makes lower costs for the consumer. The opposite is true as well the smaller the order the more expensive the manufacturing and more expensive the retail price.

There is also laws of supply and demand. If the demand is greater than the supply you can set high prices and this is basically where Apple is. But if the supply is greater than the demand the market will force you to set low prices and this is where Blackberry is.

The problem is blackberry doesn't have the demand to make a 1 million units to lower the costs of manufacturing. Since their demand is low and their supply is higher than the demand they are stuck with high price phones that are expensive to make. This makes the phone less desirable which drives the demand down and then manufacturing cost up and it's just a vicious cycle. This is why blackberry is outsourcing the manufacturing because they are stuck either making phones that are too expensive or selling them at a loss just so people will look. Instead they simply are letting someone else figure it out.
    10-06-16 11:58 AM
    "How much for one rib?"
    I have to tell you, this forum is the drop-dead last place I expected to see that movie referenced. Thank you.
    Troy Tiscareno and rthonpm like this.
    10-06-16 12:35 PM
    "How much for one rib?"

the other line from that scene would get me banned from the forum (the one about the cup).
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-06-16 01:21 PM
    the other line from that scene would get me banned from the forum (the one about the cup).
    Oh yeah.
    10-06-16 01:45 PM
    How much is a lick. Come on, I just want a lick.
    MikeX74 and JeepBB like this.
    10-06-16 01:47 PM
    "How much for one rib?"
    that is a tricky question: how much eve cost... (ask adam...;-) sorry, can't resist... that explained the lost of BB... someone took the rib out of the BB...made it purple marketing ads with puff...
    10-06-16 02:02 PM
    "How much for one rib?"
    Just pour the Pepsi in my hands.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-06-16 02:14 PM
    Hardware is a low returns market, very few companies are able to break even and less more making a profit. The market is flooded.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    cgk likes this.
    10-06-16 02:43 PM
    Simple maths -
    Chen says they need to sell 3 million phones to be profitable, say they sell 3 million phones for $100 a piece (very cheap phones, i am talking about).
    3000000 phones x 100 $ = 300000000 $ - so we need 3 to the power 8 zeros to b profitable.

Now let us try and make 30000 phones and and b profitable -
    In other words we adjust 3 to the power 8 zeros in such a way that only 30000 phoned r made or -

300000000 / 30000 = 10000$

In other words if Blackberry can get 30000 customers to buy a Blackberry phone for 10000$, then MAYBE blackberry can think of making them a phone each.
    10-06-16 03:29 PM
    Here's a thought. Why doesn't BlackBerry contact amazon to subsidize some of their phones in return for putting ads on lock screen? Imagine a dtek50 for, say, $150, with some ads and an updated amazon store. Amazon would handle the marketing right on their site like they do with Blu r1 or that motorola phone. It could work. This would be a huge boon, marketing wise, for BlackBerry to get their brand name out there.

Do that with the upcoming dtek60 and I'd bite.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-06-16 05:09 PM
    "How much for one rib?"
    I don't understand how the hardware business is a falling market?-hqdefault.jpg
    How much for just one phone?
    10-06-16 05:15 PM
    Here's a thought. Why doesn't BlackBerry contact amazon to subsidize some of their phones in return for putting ads on lock screen? Imagine a dtek50 for, say, $150, with some ads and an updated amazon store. Amazon would handle the marketing right on their site like they do with Blu r1 or that motorola phone. It could work. This would be a huge boon, marketing wise, for BlackBerry to get their brand name out there.

Try making a poll and see what folks think about that idea.

"How many would buy a discounted phone if the trade-off was Amazon ads on your lockscreen that can't be bypassed or blocked?"

I think the answers would be illuminating.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-06-16 05:17 PM
    The higher end users won't like it, but a casual user or someone heavily vested in the amazon experience might. Plus, it's not so much about how many phones will sell as it is about the name exposure. Free advertising for BlackBerry, and a way to unload all those unpurchased dtek50s. BlackBerry could learn a LOT from amazon about appealing marketing techniques.

10-06-16 05:27 PM
    The higher end users won't like it, but a casual user or someone heavily vested in the amazon experience might. Plus, it's not so much about how many phones will sell as it is about the name exposure. Free advertising for BlackBerry, and a way to unload all those unpurchased dtek50s. BlackBerry could learn a LOT from amazon about appealing marketing techniques.
    How will they get Amazon the usage data they require to place the right ads? How much would you expect Amazon to pay per phone?
    10-06-16 05:46 PM
    That wouldn't be for me to decide. I'm just a common layperson, but I think it's an avenue BlackBerry might consider exploring. What's the harm?

Blaze, you around? Have any connections to BlackBerry? Why not ask them if this is feasible or would require too much recoding to make work.

10-06-16 05:52 PM
    I thought amazon tried that with their fire phone and that did not turn out well. At the end of the day blackberry made the best business decision to end internal hardware, as they found with their current sale numbers it was just a bottomless money pit.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 09:24 PM
    I have to tell you, this forum is the drop-dead last place I expected to see that movie referenced. Thank you.
    Dunno... I can see a correlation between the Z10 launch and the "12 inches" scene.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    10-07-16 05:27 AM
    Dunno... I can see a correlation between the Z10 launch and the "12 inches" scene.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    I'll have to go back and watch the keynote for that.
    10-07-16 05:31 AM
    Nothing says security and privacy like ads 24/7 on your lockscreen.

Although it might almost be worth it just to read the flame wars that would ensue on crackberry.

 C L A S S I C
    ubizmo and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-07-16 07:55 AM

amazon did that with Blu... you can buy it at 199 ish. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-mind-the-ads
    BB is launch lawsuit regarding Blu stealing BB IP...
    10-07-16 07:56 AM
42 12