say i am in a car, will it show me moving similar to a navigation system?? (im not talking about VZNav, more like Google maps or similar)
    11-14-08 01:39 PM
    It should. Google maps will update my view, not instantaneously, even though I don't have GPS, using the my location feature.
    11-14-08 01:43 PM
    My understanding is that it will - but the only one that has verbal directions is VZNav.
    11-14-08 02:06 PM
    Google maps does not have verbal instructions. I have it on my Curve now and it gives you a map with your route highlighted. you can switch from the map screen to the directions screen. It also shows up-to-date traffic info which I always use. Very nice program.
    11-14-08 02:09 PM
    anyone know if there is an app that will show you location of buddy's by using their gps signals?
    11-14-08 02:11 PM
    anyone know if there is an app that will show you location of buddy's by using their gps signals?
    Like the iPhone app? That is an awesome app. I can't find it for blackberries anywhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 02:15 PM
    There's a forum about GPS below this one, general stuff. From reading about it, it may be that a $99 Garmin download is a good solution, though it obviously hasn't been tested on the storm. But people seem to have had pretty good results with it. Except for voice inputs, it appears to offer all the features of the Garmin unit, including voice prompts for turn-by-turn.

Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/
    11-14-08 02:19 PM
    Verizon normally disables all GPS functionality in 3rd party apps such as BB Maps, Google Maps, etc. The only TRUE GPS program that will accurately follow you in real time is VZNavigator for $9.99 a freaking month...

I just asked for the keychain GPS bluetooth receiver, that way I can use any program I want... I'm just going to leave the GPS receiver in the glove box, I only need it in the car...
    11-14-08 02:21 PM
    It has been posted in a few places that Verizon WILL NOT be disabling the GPS for 3rd party software like GMaps
    11-14-08 02:23 PM
    I will test the GPS tomorrow, when there is less darkness outside :P
    11-14-08 02:30 PM
    Like the iPhone app? That is an awesome app. I can't find it for blackberries anywhere.

Its called loopt. They make it for blackberries. But idk if it works for verizon

Your Social Compass | Loopt
    11-14-08 02:40 PM
    Its called loopt. They make it for blackberries. But idk if it works for verizon

Your Social Compass | Loopt
    It does work with verizon, i tried a free trial, but your friends gotta buy it also. Loopt in my opinion is directed more towards high schoolers.

If you get the premium plan from verizon, VZ Nav is included for free. This is what i got on my plan now. VZ nav in my opinion is awesome, couldn't get lost with it, even if i tried.

11-14-08 02:58 PM
    It has been posted in a few places that Verizon WILL NOT be disabling the GPS for 3rd party software like GMaps
    Where? Where? Oh where is this beautiful information posted!!!???!?!?!?!?
    11-14-08 03:00 PM
    It does work with verizon, i tried a free trial, but your friends gotta buy it also. Loopt in my opinion is directed more towards high schoolers.

If you get the premium plan from verizon, VZ Nav is included for free. This is what i got on my plan now. VZ nav in my opinion is awesome, couldn't get lost with it, even if i tried.

i have a premium family share. so its included? when I go to add feature:

Multimedia
    VZ Navigator $9.99/month
    11-14-08 03:07 PM
    Where? Where? Oh where is this beautiful information posted!!!???!?!?!?!?
    How about the PowerPoint hat leaked from Verizon a few weeks ago. And also the training manual for it and the standard user manual as well. It states GPS will work for Blackberry Maps. No one is exactly sure about other 3rd party apps, but they blatantly state BBMaps.

Here you go, right from the training manual on page 19.

The Storm includes two applications that support GPS based navigation:
    �� VZ Navigator
    �� BlackBerry Maps
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-14-08 at 03:14 PM.
    11-14-08 03:11 PM

Multimedia
    VZ Navigator $9.99/month
    Premuim plans are not compatible with BlackBerry.
    11-14-08 03:12 PM

Multimedia
    VZ Navigator $9.99/month
    You download it as normal and while it will show the $9.99, it's waved for Premium Plan subscribers.

From Verizon's site:

Nationwide Premium Family SharePlan�

Verizon Wireless offers the right Family SharePlans to meet your needs. Choose the Anytime Minute option that's right for you. Get Unlimited Messaging, VZ Navigator, Mobile Email, and V CAST VPak plus unlimited megabytes for Mobile Web and Get It Now/Media Center on select Verizon Wireless phones.
    • Unlimited Text, Picture, Video & Instant Messaging
    • Mobile Email
    • VCAST VPak
    • VZ Navigator
    • Unlimited Mobile Web 2.0
    • Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes
    • Unlimited National Calling
    • No Domestic Long Distance Charges
    • 3-way calling
    • Voice Mail
    • Caller ID
    11-14-08 03:14 PM
    Premuim plans are not compatible with BlackBerry.
    Really? I've been quoted several times from reps that I wouldn't have to change plans. Just that I would have to add the $44.99 data plan so that I can get my corporate emails.
    11-14-08 03:14 PM
    Really? I've been quoted several times from reps that I wouldn't have to change plans.
    This has been covered in the Ask a VZW rep thread. Premium plans aren't compatible with BlackBerry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ask...tml#post918604
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/nee...42/#post947408

it's been asked a lot. here is the most recent i could find. certain features inculded in the premium plans conflicts with BlackBerry plan.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-14-08 at 03:23 PM.
    11-14-08 03:16 PM

Multimedia
    VZ Navigator $9.99/month
    I know that when i go into the GET IT NOW section of my lg env. It say VZ Nav $9.99 (free with nationwide premium plan). So then you just dload it. I don't know how you get to it on a BB. But i'm sure it will be free. But for good measure, just call CS and ask them.

11-14-08 03:17 PM
    Then I guess if everybody has a blackberry on my account, then having a premium plan would be useless and I should just downgrade to the select?
    11-14-08 03:19 PM
    Really? I've been quoted several times from reps that I wouldn't have to change plans. Just that I would have to add the $44.99 data plan so that I can get my corporate emails.
    Actually you can get your corporate email with just the $29.99 BIS plan, unless you have the need for BES specifically. BIS works with POP/IMAP/OWA conduits. The $44.99 plan is only needed if you must have BES functionality.
    11-14-08 03:19 PM
    I know that when i go into the GET IT NOW section of my lg env. It say VZ Nav $9.99 (free with nationwide premium plan). So then you just dload it. I don't know how you get to it on a BB. But i'm sure it will be free. But for good measure, just call CS and ask them.

it's not free. VZ Nav is an additional $9.99 a month.
    11-14-08 03:20 PM
    This has been covered in the Ask a VZW rep thread. Premium plans aren't compatible with BlackBerry.
    Hmmm. OK. I'll be new to a Blackberry, so this will be a first. I'm not saying that I don't trust that thread. I just hate conflicting information. So, I guess I'll just wait until I get the phone and ask for a 4th time to a rep.
    Then I guess if everybody has a blackberry on my account, then having a premium plan would be useless and I should just downgrade to the select?
    excatly. this is what you can do. then add BIS at 29.99.
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD