OMG! I'm freaking out here! So this is the story so my mom has an Iphone and she has 500mb of data to use. Before I continue the network she has is rogers. This is the mistake i did, I thought that the using her data on my computer would just use her data, and so i went on using it until about using 100mb of data. When I looked at the usage page and saw that tether data was used 100mb and cellular network data was used 10mb I was like whaaat? When I looked it up online I saw that you get an additional charge or something for using tether data. I got freaked out that second. Please help me out guys and my mom's phone provider is rogers. I thought using wireless hotspot wouldnt charge, but would just use her data. :O
    07-29-12 10:26 PM
    oooh your mom is going to tan that hide of your......

Best Get of the computer & tell her soon.
    07-29-12 10:51 PM
    Sorry to hear that but all carrier plans charge for wifi hotspots.. best to shut it down and raid your piggy bank to pay her back for your mistake..
    I know... it sux.
    07-29-12 11:02 PM
    Well all I can say is bad luck. Even I would have done the mistake if I were you. That's the reason I love the Nokia!! The old school symbian wins the race anyday. There is an app in Nokia which makes wifi hotspot and yes ur provider does not catches it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 11:12 PM
    how much do you think they will charge? im scared.
    07-29-12 11:17 PM
    You better tell your mom asap. Good luck!
    07-30-12 12:14 AM
    Ahhh. Whhy not call rogers cs dept. Tell them your story and ask them what the charges could be.... Good luck.!!

Nite!!
    07-30-12 12:16 AM
    OMG! I'm freaking out here! So this is the story so my mom has an Iphone and she has 500mb of data to use. Before I continue the network she has is rogers. This is the mistake i did, I thought that the using her data on my computer would just use her data, and so i went on using it until about using 100mb of data. When I looked at the usage page and saw that tether data was used 100mb and cellular network data was used 10mb I was like whaaat? When I looked it up online I saw that you get an additional charge or something for using tether data. I got freaked out that second. Please help me out guys and my mom's phone provider is rogers. I thought using wireless hotspot wouldnt charge, but would just use her data. :O
    You came on and created an account to ask how much you'll get charged for tethering your mom's iPhone? Wrong site me thinks.

Sorry to hear about the charges, but that's what happens when you do things without knowing about it...

Tell your mom and grab a job mowing lawns to pay off the debt...
    07-30-12 12:44 AM
    Rogers won't speak to you unless your name is on the account. Tell your mom. Now.

Only plans of a gig or over usually include tethering in Canada. Now, depending on the age of her plan, it may be per mb overage (bad for you) or flex overage (better for you). Tell her so she can call in and talk to them.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-12 01:44 AM
    Uh oh, there's no going back now I'm afraid. Rogers should be able to give you a rough cost, then explain to your mother and tell her how you plan to repay her.

She may get upset but ultimately she will respect your honesty

Good luck.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-30-12 11:16 AM
    Well I know Verizon charges $29.99 a month to use the wifi hotspot but I don't know about Rogers
    07-30-12 11:28 AM
    Have your mum call Rogers, add the $5/500mb addon which will give her 1GB total, then tethering is included and you'll only pay the addition $5. Either way your mum needs to know. Don't worry too much, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.
    07-30-12 11:46 AM
    Sorry to hear that but all carrier plans charge for wifi hotspots.. best to shut it down and raid your piggy bank to pay her back for your mistake..
    I know... it sux.
    To the best of my knowledge, only Rogers does this. Both Bell and Telus allow your data plan to be used for tethering (providing you don't go over), and I'm pretty sure most of the MVNOs (except for Fido) don't charge either. Not sure about Mobilicity or Wind though...
    07-31-12 12:20 PM
    Just tell your mom what happened, and that you honestly did not know that Rogers charged you for tethering.

...Although you should call Rogers also. I was looking on Roger's website, and the 500mb plans now seem to have tethering. Your mother may have an older plan that doesn't, in which case she could possibly reconfigure her plan and reduced costs. I helped my mom reconfigure her plan and it halved the monthly cost and she no longer goes over on anything.
    07-31-12 12:25 PM
    Lots of money. You're in for a good spanking.
    07-31-12 12:29 PM
    If it is an older BalckBerry, it may have had tethering enabled. I used to be able to tether on a 500GB BlackBerry Plan with my 9000 and 9800. It wasn't until the 9900 that I needed to upgrade to the 1GB plan for the tethering to work. I get the impression that a setting on the old accounts allowed tethering and only when you make an update to your account does it get disabled unless you have a 1gb or larger plan.
    07-31-12 02:06 PM
    Tell her right away. You can usually add a plan retroactively before the period ends. It would be a lot better if she can add a small plan to cover it than to be charged per mb.
    07-31-12 04:45 PM
    OK,

Since nobody actually helped the OP out by telling him what the overage pricing is. I though I would actually look up the overage pricing.. I'm not a Rogers customer but I did find a forum website that explains it. You may be lucky and owe just $5. Take a look at the 3rd post on this thread: iPhone Personal Hotspot (aka tethering) on 500 MB plan on iOS 5

Granted it is for an iPhone, but it should be the same rules for a Blackberry/Android. Hopefully this counts since you don't have a tethering plan at all. Good Luck OP. (Tell your mom anyway)
    08-01-12 10:17 AM
    Kiddo,

Tell your mom, take your punishment and pay her back whatever the costs were. It's the right thing to do, and in the end she'll be proud of you for being honest and responsible.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-01-12 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD