OK I am a BB fan 100%. The only smart phones i have ever owned are BB's. After listenining to all the RIM media interviews today I went and listened to the June 20/ win central pod cast All they did was gush about what wonderful things were coming to Win 8 and beyond. Well if you listen to it you will realize that RIM is talking about coming out with the whole PLATFORM early 2013. They are talking "somewhere in the future" RIM in my opinion is on the cutting edge thinking and is going to blow away the other OS. GO LISTEN to other OS podcaston Mobile Nations and learn and see that we are not dead but we are on the cutting edge.
    modine, XDrew42 and robluck82 like this.
    07-03-12 08:33 PM
    OK I am a BB fan 100%. The only smart phones i have ever owned are BB's. After listenining to all the RIM media interviews today I went and listened to the June 20/ win central pod cast All they did was gush about what wonderful things were coming to Win 8 and beyond. Well if you listen to it you will realize that RIM is talking about coming out with the whole PLATFORM early 2013. They are talking "somewhere in the future" RIM in my opinion is on the cutting edge thinking and is going to blow away the other OS. GO LISTEN to other OS podcaston Mobile Nations and learn and see that we are not dead but we are on the cutting edge.
    Let's come down to Earth. First, even if WP8 is a complete flop, it hardly spells the end for MS. Now if BB10 is a complete flop -- assuming it is even released -- then RIM joins the likes of companies like Studebaker, Shinola, and PanAm in that great corporate beyond. Second, MS has done what RIM has not or cannot -- buy off developers, which ensures a superior app ecosystem to what RIM has. Third, MS owns the desktop world -- something that RIM can't even conceive of doing -- and plans on offering a unified OS across Win 8 smartphones, tabs, and that desktop world. In short, that ostensibly pie in the sky podcast was very much grounded in real possibility.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-03-12 08:55 PM
    Am I hearing this correctly? Other platforms can't update ota? If so. Hahahaha. Side load is how I got my defunct Starbuck card app back on my new phone. 9850.

Also if so. Just let's me know how far ahead in software and hardware RIM is. And how marketing means everything.

Did ya get that Thor? Market your product!
    Last edited by XDrew42; 07-03-12 at 10:05 PM.
    07-03-12 10:02 PM
    Let's come down to Earth. First, even if WP8 is a complete flop, it hardly spells the end for MS. Now if BB10 is a complete flop -- assuming it is even released -- then RIM joins the likes of companies like Studebaker, Shinola, and PanAm in that great corporate beyond. Second, MS has done what RIM has not or cannot -- buy off developers, which ensures a superior app ecosystem to what RIM has. Third, MS owns the desktop world -- something that RIM can't even conceive of doing -- and plans on offering a unified OS across Win 8 smartphones, tabs, and that desktop world. In short, that ostensibly pie in the sky podcast was very much grounded in real possibility.
    When you compare RIM to Microsoft you are comparing a flea to an elephant.
    07-03-12 10:19 PM
    I completely agree with the OP. I feel good about BB10 whenever I listen to WPCentral podcasts. WP8 sounds very cool and, quite frankly, will probably be my RIM safety net. But RIM's ideas are just a bit more out of the box. MS is trying to takeover the mobile space. RIM is trying to redefine it.
    07-04-12 12:53 AM
    Amazing amount of crowing considering RIM hasn't actually even managed to get the product to market, has blown two internal deadlines and now has some vague q1 2013 for possible release.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but generally you do a victory lap after you've actually entered and won the race?
    07-04-12 01:12 AM
    Challenge accepted!

Even though I'm not one that needs convincing.

I listened to an imore podcast a while back and they were mentioning stuff they thought would be cool for apple to do and I was thinking BBs either have that or will with BB10.
    Last edited by hurds; 07-04-12 at 01:29 AM.
    07-04-12 01:24 AM
    I listen to most of the mobile nations podcasts whenever i have time or even when i'm doing other stuffs that doesn't require my utmost concentration. Androidcentral, WPcentral, iMore, the combined mobile nations podcast, iterate, Zen & Tech, Girls Gone Gadgets (i wonder when is the next podcast?), and of course crackberry. Well, except for webos nation, i would if Derek would make one. Podcasts are a great way to get summary, thoughts, and news from the respective platforms.

I wouldn't exactly say "cutting edge" until i can see more of BB10. From what we've seen so far, i truly believe that we have barely touched the surface of BB10. I am still patiently anticipating BB10. But honestly Apple's and Microsoft's vision are pretty interesting too. Of course end of the day, i still very much prefer BlackBerry as my daily driver and certainly hope RIM will be able to deliver.

If you listen to all of the podcast and have tried all the various major platforms, you would know that they all still have their flaws, still have things that their users are asking for. There is no perfect platform as of now, if I want the best of everything, I would need to carry multiple devices. I would need to take various aspect from various platforms and combine them into one single device.

Maybe i'm expecting a bit too much, but from what i see on the playbook, BB10 demoes, and leaked news about it. BB10 has a real chance of being the perfect platform for me. The only device that i would need to have, the only device that would satisfy all my needs. BBOS 7 already fulfills my main needs, mobile communication. BB10 could very well be a great platform for media consumption as well. The PlayBook is still by far the best (easiest) mobile device i've used to load/play music and video content, so i assume BB10 would be the same. That plus more apps, and the communication prowess of BBOS 7 devices, this could really be it for me. (The keyword for this entire paragraph is "for me", as different individuals will have different needs.)

My optimism and anticipation for BB10 have not changed despite the recent negative press.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 07-04-12 at 02:05 AM.
    07-04-12 02:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD