What's the big deal.. android version of crackberry is better then CB10 already.... with the new runtime, android apps will actually run better and basically be the same as native
    06-20-14 11:49 PM
    My thought is that having an Amazon Store will allow BlackBerry 10 userbase to increase. Once it reaches a certain number companies and developers will start creating BB10 apps.

In my view it would be a benefit to BB10 developers to see more BlackBerry phones sold and a larger BB10 userbase, as it would mean more potential people to buy their apps.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    06-21-14 08:16 AM
    I think the Amazon deal was a terrific move because despite the fact that we already have access to Android apps through multiple methods especially the terrific Snap app, they aren't installed by default on the phone (still unreasonable to ask someone to figure out how to find and side load Snap.) Therefore the average person will not be able to figure out how to get them easily, and this point is criticized in every published review. It will also be easier to find more Android apps that work instead of guessing. While lots of apps can work, it was often specific versions now as more and more new versions break on BlackBerry 10 as they include Google Services (i.e Snapchat, OpenTable) or new features (FB Messenger videos don't work and hose the app). I have to maintain a library of APKs myself and send friends links to them because they can't use the latest from Snap anymore.

The Amazon move also makes it clearer to people that there are many apps on BlackBerry devices, and hopefully convince more people to buy more phones. This in turn increases the user base.

Native apps have many advantages over the Android ports that we all love such as active frames, headless mode, hub integration, toast notifications, faster scrolling/responsiveness and less resource usage, better sharing interface, shortcuts for keyboard versions, elegant cascades UI built for swiping. It's true that modern hardware can solve some of the performance problems of Android, but the other features of native apps won't be there and add so much to the BlackBerry 10 experience.

The people who already care about native apps will continue to seek them out and get the word out. Once the overall user base gets larger, the chances of getting more native apps increases as well as companies realize what they're missing by not taking advantage of the native platform.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 11:35 AM
    Smart move. Anyone disagreeing and thinks BlackBerry will survive another year status quo has their blinders on. This company was dead before Chen. He needs to make bold moves. If the lack of differentiation with Android (the UI is still hugely different, and the Hub, navigation gestures and flick keyboard we all love is still intact) is the issue, there's always WP. But you'd have even fewer apps.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    06-21-14 11:40 AM
    Well it's why I bought my first BlackBerry ever this year. Google is da debbil far as I'm concerned.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:52 PM
    Smart move. Anyone disagreeing and thinks BlackBerry will survive another year status quo has their blinders on. This company was dead before Chen. He needs to make bold moves. If the lack of differentiation with Android (the UI is still hugely different, and the Hub, navigation gestures and flick keyboard we all love is still intact) is the issue, there's always WP. But you'd have even fewer apps.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    WP may have less apps but 95% of them are native with 5% of them being web wrappers. You also have to remember that Microsoft aren't using Android apps to fill the gaps in the store but are slowly getting official native apps, just in the past week WP pretty much had a new official native app a day.

It takes time and effort to build up an ecosystem from scratch, which is just what Microsoft is doing, as a fully supported ecosystem doesn't just appear overnight.

I don't think this move is a bad one but Chen still needs to push native apps as the preferred way to go, Android apps are a stop gap to prop up the lack of apps on AppWorld.
    Last edited by neo158; 06-23-14 at 08:31 PM.
    KenFletch likes this.
    06-23-14 06:22 PM
    I, too, am fairly worried. This spells out the death of BB10 development for apps to me.

HOWEVER, that being said, reading between the lines, Chen has indicated that where he wants to go with it is focus on developers creating prosumer-grade apps; productivity apps. In theory, the Amazon deal allows him to expend effort on the important, enterprise stuff he cares about, and lets Amazon worry about consumer apps, games, instagram, type stuff.

Smart, I hope.... I hope.
    06-23-14 06:43 PM
    WP may have less apps but 95% of them are native with 5% of them being web wrappers. You also have to remember that Microsoft aren't using Android apps to fill the gaps in the store but are slowly getting official native apps, just in the past week WP pretty much had a new official native app a day.

It takes time and effort to build up an ecosystem from scratch, which is just what Microsoft is doing, as a fully supported ecosystem doesn't just appear overnight.

I don't think this move is a bad one but Chen still needs to push native apps as the preferred way to go, Android apps are a stop gap to prop up the lack of apps on AppWorld.
    Microsoft sold devices cheaper to get them in people's hands, and advertised a lot too. Hands = Developer consideration. BlackBerry has been unwilling to get competitive on pricing at launch, and hasn't advertised effectively, nor do they have the money or time to advertise and the luxury of many other lucrative businesses to float the phone business.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    neo158 likes this.
    06-23-14 09:16 PM
    I'm guessing John Chen saw the lack of native development from 3rd party and in-house on the consumer side and said it's time to be strategic and tactical.

BlackBerry - Enterprise - Native
    Amazon - Consumer - Android/Native

BlackBerry + Amazon = Improves consumer app availability, makes Android compatibility more visible, improves BlackBerry's reputation with big name consumer player. Chance to continue consumer appeal.

BlackBerry allocates limited resources to focus on helping companies/clients with enterprise productivity apps.

Company issued BB10 devices can utilize Balance under BES and allow new users to access BlackBerry World (with more native enterprise focused apps) and Amazon App Store.

This path might be best one for BlackBerry growth and reputation repair.

Posted via CB10
    Spykedjadedragon likes this.
    06-23-14 10:02 PM
    Microsoft sold devices cheaper to get them in people's hands, and advertised a lot too. Hands = Developer consideration. BlackBerry has been unwilling to get competitive on pricing at launch, and hasn't advertised effectively, nor do they have the money or time to advertise and the luxury of many other lucrative businesses to float the phone business.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    You're absolutely right, BlackBerry don't have the luxury of time and money to throw at advertising and they were unwilling to be competitive on price either.
    06-24-14 12:29 PM
    Sadly, I have such a hatred of all things android that if there was much of it on my Blackberry I would feel compelled to move to another platform. I have loved my Blackberry, I have supported them through everything, I have been on the help pages helping the Blackberry staff with queries from a hospital bed. I have lived and breathed Blackberry. But the subtle moves towards things android have not escaped me, and my interest has waned. If I do get apps, I go for "built for Blackberry" ones. The Blackberry devs worked their backsides off to make BB10 work, and I would much prefer something from them than go anywhere near an android store.

Yes, I know things have to move on and develop, but to loose the originality and identity is a shame.
    06-24-14 01:18 PM
    I think the move to partner with Amazon and their appstore was an ingenious decision and a very smart business move! What's the number one thing we have been clamoring for? Apps.

Well it has been shown time and time again that developers won't be motivated to make apps on a platform that isn't a market leader. If you were a developer, wouldn't YOU want to maximize your time and cost?

If you don't like Android or Google, I fail to see why anyone would abandon Blackberry solely because of this... they aren't forcing anyone to use Android apps on their BB, they are merely making it easier for those that want more of an app selection through Android, to go ahead and do so.

On another thread, I read about a suggestion someone had about making BlackBerry to BlackBerry communications completely encrypted. If BlackBerry can focus on value adds like that, it would give people a reason to switch, and the Amazon app market could give people a reason to stay with BlackBerry.

I love Chen, he has some real business sense so far as I can tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:23 AM
    ...am i?

I mean, I am currently torn between being happy that blackberry will now have an official android app store which will basically make the app gap a bit of a non-issue now. And this is a good thing. Because it means that users can actually migrate to the BB10 platform and not complain about how they are missing one application or the other... because now, BlackBerry will officially have it available to be used and enjoyed by the customer...

However, on the flip side, what then happens t native development? How do we then convince peple to develop natively for a platform which now has an android app store? what becomes the incentive? I have read on some other threads about comments along the lines of "developers, wanting to give their users a better experience, will then develop native"

And i kid you not, my mind literally replied, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

With the 10.3 sdk to be said to run android apps without an issue, why would a developer now waste their time and resources developing native when their userbase are perfectly fine with the android app?

Surely, I can't be the only one a bit worried aboout this?

There is this danger... It is currently a low probability, but the danger still exists... that in the long run, BlackBerry phones will be running on android (albeit an edited secure one, but android nonetheless)

And that scares me.
    I like your post, so I kinda feel bad for not answering in more detail...

But the short answer is:
    Native development has been dead for quite some time now and BlackBerry realised that (emerging markets MIGHT be an exception that BlackBerry could still conquer).

The deal with Amazon is just their official acknowledgement of that situation.
    A desperate move, to at least get some apps.

But hey, what sounds better?
    A) We have BBW. And no apps you want. But the ones you don't want, are Native!!!!

B) We have Amazon now. And more apps you want, than before. They aren't native though. But you can use Netflix now!!!

I'd go with B.

The problem is that most will either do C or D though.

C) If I want Android apps, I'll buy an Android.
    D) If I want top quality apps and basically all of them, without worrying about maleware or compatibility issues, I'll buy an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 07:41 AM
38 12