For mainly two reasons, price and hardware revisions.

1) Phones tend to depreciate in value very quickly. A flagship phone can be priced the same as a mid range phone in six months. So why pay double the price when you know the price will go down?

2) However, the biggest reason is that whether it is BlackBerry or Apple, phones at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending, or how the BlackBerry came up with a revised Q10 keyboard later on in its production.

If you bought a device at launch, I don't want you to feel bad about it, but I just want to hear your reasoning for paying extra for a phone that might not be the best hardware-wise since manufacturers revise the hardware to be better throughout the manufacturing life.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 10:56 AM
    Has Apple actually been working on fixing the iPhone 6 to bend less? I didn't think manufacturers really changed the structure of smartphones after they were released.

People buy devices at launch simply because they're excited. There is hype for these devices weeks and often months before they're released, and people cannot wait to get their hands on one. If you want something bad enough, you don't care that the price will go down "eventually".
    11-16-14 11:00 AM
    Well, someone has to be first...

And, no one will wait 6-12 months after a release to make a purchase if they're an early adopter of anything tech related. Some want the latest and greatest as soon as it's available.

Plus, people buy what they want when they want it. Price or upgrades have no bearing when someone wants something. It's their choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:01 AM
    Always buy mine when they launch and can still sell it for a pretty good price 6-9 months later when I upgrade

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    Last edited by Carjackd; 11-16-14 at 11:46 AM.
    11-16-14 11:04 AM
    Has Apple actually been working on fixing the iPhone 6 to bend less? I didn't think manufacturers really changed the structure of smartphones after they were released.

People buy devices at launch simply because they're excited. There is hype for these devices weeks and often months before they're released, and people cannot wait to get their hands on one. If you want something bad enough, you don't care that the price will go down "eventually".
    Yup, looks like Apple quietly made a revision
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10...ly-been-fixed/

And I am sure I can find other examples of hardware revision other than the Iphone and the Q10.

I always thought of the people who buy phones at the launch as paying beta testers. Early Apple IOS 8 users had to go through the entire bug issues early on. And I am sure the early BlackBerry 10 users from the launch had experienced the same before BlackBerry 10 got better.

Posted via CB10
    garrett lajoie likes this.
    11-16-14 11:05 AM
    Being I have worked in the manufacturing sector my entire life, most products have prototypes that have been tested by the engineering folks in the field long before the product is put into official production. You are always going to have some ones that get through their checking process, but for the most part, they usually have very few major issues and the minor ones are usually resolved fairly quickly.

What amazes me more is there is always folks out there who have nothing better to do with their time then tear apart a new product to find every little flaw with it they can find. You have a company who sells 9 million devices and only 2 to 3 hundred have an issue with the new product and thats what the media focuses on???? How about the 8.9 million that love it and the 6 million who want to buy more and will gladly wait to get it??
    11-16-14 11:36 AM
    Some of us don't mind being guinea pigs. Some of us derive joy from having something completely new that no one else around us has. You pay more for that, you expect bugs, but you get that brief thrill of having something first.

It's not unlike that compulsion to post first in a thread. Is it practical and does it accomplish anything? No. But you get the cheap thrill of calling dibs.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt, Chrisy and garrett lajoie like this.
    11-16-14 11:37 AM
    There is very little "reasoning,".. just lots of wanting. Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:47 AM
    I forgot to mention that I appreciate early adopters. I believe that they are the reason why we've still been able to purchase these devices even after a year or two since release.

The way Chen is watching his production inventory, if he did not get decent sales numbers from early adopters, a few devices would no longer even be produced for as long as they have been. Those are the people that prove interest and makes it sensible to keep it up.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:47 AM
    Why do people see a movie on opening weekend and face a packed theater when they can wait a few weeks when there's less of a crowd or even wait until it's available to rent? Because it's fun to get something when it's available if you've been waiting for it.
    11-16-14 12:01 PM
    I have only bought one phone within a month of its launch, the Q10.

I have been a huge blackberry fan since 07, but I can't say I've been a good customer. My first was through a contract with Tmobile, but since I've purchased every single one used or at a heavy discount. (8320,8900,9700,9900)

I have no regrets buying my Q in June of 2013 for 550 dollars. This thing is still rock solid and has been phenomenal. Now that you can buy directly through BlackBerry I would be more enticed to buy at full or close to full retail because I'd expect the support to be better if I have a problem. I rolled the dice on used devices and have been lucky so far, but I also want to actually support the company whose products I like, which requires actually buying their products.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 12:14 PM
    This can be said about anything. What about people who buy first generation cars?
    11-16-14 12:33 PM
    You could say the same for all those who install leaks on their phone rather than wait for the official release. They beta test it for the rest of us, and I for one greatly appreciate it.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 12:35 PM

2) However, the biggest reason is that whether it is BlackBerry or Apple, phones at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending...
    Not that we know of. No tear downs of production units has shown any major changes in construction yet.

Yup, looks like Apple quietly made a revision
    iPhone 6 Bending Problems May Have Quietly Been Fixed

And I am sure I can find other examples of hardware revision other than the Iphone and the Q10.

I always thought of the people who buy phones at the launch as paying beta testers. Early Apple IOS 8 users had to go through the entire bug issues early on. And I am sure the early BlackBerry 10 users from the launch had experienced the same before BlackBerry 10 got better.

Posted via CB10
    Plenty of people destroy phones and tear down phones for kicks, or for a living. I'm sure if there have been revisions, a tear down by a reputable source will confirm it. Some reddit user weighing, peaking into through gaps, and tapping on his phone, are hardly conclusive signs of a widespread redesign.
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-16-14 12:40 PM
    Because its the Passport.

Posted via One Very Cool Passport!
    11-16-14 12:49 PM
    Excitement, rich or pride? Pick one
    Ps : that's their own biz though

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 12:52 PM
    Sometimes the old device just gives up or is about to. For most professional/ business people communication is more important than the price.

+ like Bakron1 said, only a small %age of devices are actually faulty.

CB10 @ Q5
    11-16-14 01:09 PM
    I cannot understand people who buy a phone that is old already.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    11-16-14 01:13 PM
    I think a lot of it is having to have the device on day 1 for some reason.There's such a thirst for the latest and greatest, particularly Apple (as you know by people camping out for days prior to the launch of a new device). You're right, the prices eventually come down to a reasonable amount.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-16-14 01:26 PM
    Life is for the living. Just curious, do you know what life has in store for you in 6 month's time?. Some people want to enjoy the present moment because that's what is certain.
    11-16-14 01:39 PM
    For mainly two reasons, price and hardware revisions.

1) Phones tend to depreciate in value very quickly. A flagship phone can be priced the same as a mid range phone in six months. So why pay double the price when you know the price will go down?

2) However, the biggest reason is that whether it is BlackBerry or Apple, phones at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending, or how the BlackBerry came up with a revised Q10 keyboard later on in its production.

If you bought a device at launch, I don't want you to feel bad about it, but I just want to hear your reasoning for paying extra for a phone that might not be the best hardware-wise since manufacturers revise the hardware to be better throughout the manufacturing life.

Posted via CB10
    How about leaving people to their money as they see fit. It is your. Choice to wait, it is theirs to buy at launch.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC, TGR1 and shaleem like this.
    11-16-14 01:44 PM
    Some people want to enjoy the present moment because that's what is certain.
    I agree! But the point of the OP's question is to find out why some people do choose to buy on Day 1. Not a criticism.
    UncleChuck likes this.
    11-16-14 01:47 PM
    I can't stand people who wait 6-12 months lol. Real talk. I agree with the chances of getting a faulty device but thats the chance I'm willing to take. I only live once so I'm gonna buy my toys.
    11-16-14 02:10 PM
    Life is for the living. Just curious, do you know what life has in store for you in 6 month's time?. Some people want to enjoy the present moment because that's what is certain.
    YOLO!
    bungaboy and wincyUt like this.
    11-16-14 02:14 PM
    And he or she is just giving there reason
    11-16-14 02:47 PM
95 123 ...