It's been 1 month using my new z10 and I am over my usage. I would rarely go over the 500mb with my torch 9810 but with 1 month of use I'm over 6gb

Now...I'll admit I did some downloading (whitout noticing I wasn't using wifi) but still had 2g left last week.

I know the new BB10 aren't compressed like my old torch but going from 500mb to 6gb is crazy.

Does the z10 eat that much data?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 10:59 AM
    No data compression ...
    03-01-13 11:02 AM
    I have only used 746mb since Feb 5
    03-01-13 11:03 AM
    Depends how big of files you were downloading?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 11:04 AM
    I use about 200MB a week, but I'm usually on wifi.
    03-01-13 11:05 AM
    Well next time you check that Wiki is on. If LTR is that fast it's easy to forget you're using mobile data.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 11:11 AM
    Yeah I had a few big file including 1 almost 1gb...but I realized that wifi wasn't on last week with 2gb to spare. I taught I would be safe since I didn't download afterwards

I'm still surprised how much data it uses it's not like I was on it 24/7
    03-01-13 11:17 AM
    Lesson learned.
    03-01-13 11:37 AM
    Yeah I had a few big file including 1 almost 1gb...but I realized that wifi wasn't on last week with 2gb to spare. I taught I would be safe since I didn't download afterwards

I'm still surprised how much data it uses it's not like I was on it 24/7
    Maybe your carrier takes some time to update the data such as Vodafone etc. So by the time it showed 2GB left it might have a 48 hour delay or so. And congrats to LTE. Wish it was available to me here. Now that being said. 3G speeds in my area have dramatically been improved. Quite happy with that actually.
    03-01-13 01:35 PM
    I always thought data compression was an underrated asset. Hopefully Blackberry realizes that and in the next year or two releases a BB8 phone that still uses BIS. I think there is significant profit to be made there in the long run, in addition to the profit that is available with the high-end BB10 platform.
    ssbtech likes this.
    03-01-13 03:14 PM
    What are you downloading to go over that? Is there a movie streaming service or something I don't know about? I go through about 15g a month, but I stream the crap out of Netflix from work, lol! S3 here and on unlimited plan, but I wouldn't think you would go through that much unless streaming movies or literally on it all the time.

Music streaming apps aren't to bad, nor is the Web.

I was always under 5G when I rarely used Netflix and was on the Browser a lot and streamed a ton of Pandora.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    03-01-13 03:31 PM
    make sure your (drop)box apps arent syncing over the network.

On release (feb 5) my dropbox synced 1.9GB of data over the network... i turned that off INSTANTLY and since then I have used 3GB of data all month, which includes the 1.9 from that one day. So ive only used 1GB all month. I do have wifi in most places I am, but when on the bus or at a teaching job I use LTE and I can be on all kinds of sites. I also dont bother to turn on wifi if im downloading an app and didnt already turn it on.

You should be fine if you figure out the problem, just make sure nothing is syncing over your network. And try not to download blu-ray movies
    03-01-13 04:50 PM
    What are you downloading to go over that? Is there a movie streaming service or something I don't know about? I go through about 15g a month, but I stream the crap out of Netflix from work, lol! S3 here and on unlimited plan, but I wouldn't think you would go through that much unless streaming movies or literally on it all the time.

Music streaming apps aren't to bad, nor is the Web.

I was always under 5G when I rarely used Netflix and was on the Browser a lot and streamed a ton of Pandora.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    I didn't stream but I do listen to music via youtube while I'm driving and use slacker radio. Basically, the same stuff I used to do with my torch...I was expecting to double my usage because of compression but never blowing 6gb.

make sure your (drop)box apps arent syncing over the network.

On release (feb 5) my dropbox synced 1.9GB of data over the network... i turned that off INSTANTLY and since then I have used 3GB of data all month, which includes the 1.9 from that one day. So ive only used 1GB all month. I do have wifi in most places I am, but when on the bus or at a teaching job I use LTE and I can be on all kinds of sites. I also dont bother to turn on wifi if im downloading an app and didnt already turn it on.

You should be fine if you figure out the problem, just make sure nothing is syncing over your network. And try not to download blu-ray movies
    Wow...the thing was on but I never used dropbox! Any way to figure out how much data it took while it was on?
    03-01-13 05:43 PM
    I'm interested to see if any official or unofficial memos come out on data leakage. I know there was one with the iphone 5. My wife used one for 3 months and my bill tracked usage of 48 hours straight on several occasions. I called bell to argue the logic of streaming for 2 days straight. They reluctantly credited all overages for the month. It worked out to 150 dollars. Off topic, she's since sold the iphone and is waiting for the Q10 after using my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 09:46 PM
    There is no way to check the amount of data synced by Dropbox. (that I know of) bit if you don't have an account there is no way it could sync. When you open the app it should tell you the last time it synced, but that doesn't really tell you anything

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 01:48 AM
    It's been 1 month using my new z10 and I am over my usage. I would rarely go over the 500mb with my torch 9810 but with 1 month of use I'm over 6gb

Now...I'll admit I did some downloading (whitout noticing I wasn't using wifi) but still had 2g left last week.

I know the new BB10 aren't compressed like my old torch but going from 500mb to 6gb is crazy.

Does the z10 eat that much data?

Posted via CB10
    Now you know how great BIS was with Data Compression. RIM (at the time) kept saying for years "we have DATA COMPRESSION, DATA COMPRESSION....& SECURITY, SECURITY" but no one listened & everyone (but 79 million of us) laughed & said who cares.....but it really was a great cost saving feature
    mk2234, ssbtech, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    03-02-13 06:47 AM
    I bounce from wi-fi to wi-fi. Besides one accidental 130 MB app download on my data plan, I'm 3 weeks into my first bill, showing a total of 265 MB used.

Just putting it out there that it's extremely possible to not even go over 500 MB. You just gotta be mindful.

Also, my friend works for Bell. Going over your data plan may be appealable, as he was saying even the carriers don't know how much data the Z10 will use. Vendors are suggesting plans but have no clue. And they know it.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 07:12 AM
    Now you know how great BIS was with Data Compression. RIM (at the time) kept saying for years "we have DATA COMPRESSION, DATA COMPRESSION....& SECURITY, SECURITY" but no one listened & everyone (but 79 million of us) laughed & said who cares.....but it really was a great cost saving feature
    BIS was also great at making the browser unbearably slow. I will gladly take an increase in data for the lightning fast browser we have now. The real problem is the carriers charging $50 for their current plans and including only 150mb of data for an entire month. THAT is ridiculous.

Do you know how much BIS data was/is compressed? It would be interesting to know the exact difference between the two.
    Last edited by JWWDUKE; 03-02-13 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
    03-02-13 08:33 AM
    Surprise! Welcome to 4G/LTE. When you used to stream audio and video on your 2G/3G connections, the streaming server would select a low bandwidth stream because your connection couldn't handle anything faster. Now you are connecting with 4G/LTE. The streaming connection speed detector recognizes your connection can handle higher bandwidth streams for better quality, so it gives them to you. Ergo, streaming media uses more bandwidth.

BB didn't compress media streams before because they are already compressed.
    03-02-13 09:11 AM
    The only thing that was compressed was text. Pictures music and video are already stored in a compressed state. Jpeg and mp3 will not compress for example.

If you are using more data, it's because the phone is more powerful and you are now able to do more.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:21 AM
    I still have a 9930 and my average data use is 500 MB. I am getting the Z10 when Verizon drops it and I plan on buying it outright so I can keep my unlimited data plan. It will be interesting to see how much more data I use. One thing I like about Verizon is the ability to graph your data usage.
    03-02-13 09:41 AM
    Wasn't there an email type issue and another issue with using data it shouldn't be?

Just because you're on LTE doesn't mean you're going to use more data if you do no more than you did before. 50mb does not become 500mb just because you're on LTE and it's faster.
    03-02-13 09:49 AM
    Wow...the thing was on but I never used dropbox! Any way to figure out how much data it took while it was on?
    What do you mean by "the thing was on but I never used dropbox"? Clarity goes a long way in the troubleshooting process.
    03-02-13 01:19 PM
    What do you mean by "the thing was on but I never used dropbox"? Clarity goes a long way in the troubleshooting process.
    Sorry about that, I will explain with more detail. I created a dropbox account when I purchased the phone, FSeverino was right and files where syncing using my cellular network. The problem is that I never really used the account since I activated. In other words, it was using my date plan but I don't know what it was syncing since I didn't add any files to the account.

Did dropbox eat all my data even if it had nothing on it? Still don't understand how I could blow 2gb of data in 1 week...I wasn't using it like a mad man this past week!
    03-02-13 04:57 PM
    I didn't stream but I do listen to music via youtube while I'm driving and use slacker radio. Basically, the same stuff I used to do with my torch...I was expecting to double my usage because of compression but never blowing 6gb.

I have no clue as to why you would be using that much. I do know like the guy I quoted in here as well, if you are actually on 4G LTE, you will be sucking up more as I believe it uses more bandwith. So that could be the reason, which will even kill me more once we get it. I am HSPA and probably will stick to that even if I get 4G LTE as I get plenty fast speeds on it. Up to 20mbps, is fine with me.

I bounce from wi-fi to wi-fi. Besides one accidental 130 MB app download on my data plan, I'm 3 weeks into my first bill, showing a total of 265 MB used.

Just putting it out there that it's extremely possible to not even go over 500 MB. You just gotta be mindful.

Also, my friend works for Bell. Going over your data plan may be appealable, as he was saying even the carriers don't know how much data the Z10 will use. Vendors are suggesting plans but have no clue. And they know it.

Posted via CB10
    Of course you will be low, due to mostly using WiFi. Not everyone has that option, unfortunately.

Surprise! Welcome to 4G/LTE. When you used to stream audio and video on your 2G/3G connections, the streaming server would select a low bandwidth stream because your connection couldn't handle anything faster. Now you are connecting with 4G/LTE. The streaming connection speed detector recognizes your connection can handle higher bandwidth streams for better quality, so it gives them to you. Ergo, streaming media uses more bandwidth.

BB didn't compress media streams before because they are already compressed.
    This, however we don't know until he confirms that he is actually on 4G LTE as it may not be in his area yet. If not, strange you would be sucking up that much data. Seems something is updating constantly and soaking up that much data...
    03-02-13 09:40 PM
34 12