Well this beats the he'll out of morning tv

The existing lawsuit was based on the look and feel of the device and certain ways in which it does things in the OS, not the shape. that's like <insert inventor of the first car> trying to sue everyone else because all cars after it had 4 wheels. It's a pretty much the only way to build a candy bar phone with a touch screen, unless you want a pointless 6" wide bezel or something weird tacked on the back. Even if you could patent a shape, one so obvious as that would have to come under FRAND regs otherwise nobody would be able to make a phone other than rims keyboard style phones... Hey wait that's not a bad idea!

Still got 20 minutes before work, keep the entertainment coming
    09-06-12 02:32 AM
    In order for Apple to sue RIM, Apple would first have to view them as a threat or feel engaged by RIM and that's simply not the case here.
    Wait for it.
    09-06-12 05:03 AM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off. People may not agree with the results of Apple v. Samsung, but it is clear that a sufficiently different shape must be chosen.
    Samesung were not found in violation of the "rounded rectangle" patent.

RIM have a substantial patent portfolio, while they can't afford a drawn out lawsuit, Apple are probably well aware that somewhere, sometime, they have violated one or more of those patents RIM owns. "Mutually assured destruction" comes to mind.
    09-06-12 05:53 AM
    bb10 will not be like ios and rim seems to me is paying attention to all the lawsuit. just notice how bb10 icons look like. no similarity to ios or android. bb10 will be all about gestures. something that "old" ios does not have. i hope rim had patented these gestures so apple cannot copy it and claim later that it had invented this.
    09-06-12 06:23 AM
    What a funny thread ... OP, really.
    09-06-12 07:27 AM
    Really do not want to rain on your parade... but most cell phones look that way already... have not seen any square smartphones... have you?? As for the screen... all I have seen have glass touch screen... Have not seen any paper ones..... Apple by the way did not invent the touch screen... they just improved on it and made it work effectively.... You should go back and revisit the actual lawsuit... Under you logic Apple should be suing every smartphone manifacturer out there... just saw pics of the new Nokia... motorala... smartphones... guess they will be getting those summons tomorrow.....
    motorola made a square smart phone..it is an android touch screen with a qwerty keyboard spins out.
    09-06-12 07:59 AM
    The US was the only country Samsung was found guilty. I believe South Korea and Germany (I think it was germany) that they were found innocent.

I think what really nailed Samsung was the emails related to copying the iPhone was disclosed.
    the uk threw out all the claims i think.....
    09-06-12 08:02 AM
    And another arm chair ceo bites the dust..
    09-06-12 08:57 AM
    I'm glad to see my thread sparked some interesting debate . . . thank you all for participating -- greatly appreciated !!!
    09-06-12 09:16 AM
    I have a few questions for the OP....
    My first impression of the OS10 device is that RIM is begging Apple to file a lawsuit for an injunction and damages
    So, from a couple of leaked (and kinda poor quality) pictures, YOU'VE decided that the BB10 L Series is exactly the same as an iPhone?? WOW!! Just .... WOW!!!
    RIM wants to make a device that looks and feels like an iPhone so they can copy Apple and hopefully sell more devices.
    No, RIM wants to make a touchscreen phone which works well. Just because Apple only make a touchscreen phone, it doesn't mean that RIM are copying Apple, the touchscreen phone was around LONG before the iPhone showed up.
    Am I right, or am I right?
    No, you're wrong.
    Perhaps, RIM should just hire me as its CEO
    No thanks. I'd rather RIM was run by someone who actually knows what they're doing and saying (and writing).
    ...but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off.
    Ok, so where on the picture of the BB10 device did you see a button on the centre bottom? No, I didn't either, which means it is sufficiently different to iPhone and therefore not a "knock-off"
    With a nickname like "lawlist" and an avatar with a suit and tie, I'm obviously not "stupid".
    You're joking right? So because you (presuming it is actually you in the photo) once wore a suit and tie (could have been for a court appearance for all we know), and chose your own username, that means you should never be questionned for your comments? Ummm, sorry, but I can't even take this comment seriously enough to write a response to it. It is rediculous in nature to even imagine that line could be a defense.
    I'm glad to see my thread sparked some interesting debate
    I'm pretty sure most of the debate is how you could possibly come to the conclusion that the BB10 L Series device (from a couple of naff photos) is so close a copy of the iPhone (when it's quite plainly different enough) that RIM should be worried about a law suit.

Si.
    bungaboy and Bobcat665 like this.
    09-06-12 10:18 AM
    maybe he's Apples lawyer and knows the inside and Apple is actually ging to try and bankrupt RIM with a super long expensive lawsuit
    09-06-12 10:33 AM
    To the OP...

Did you really just claim that "everyone knows" RIM should have just made a slimmer 9900 that aspires to have as much battery life as a 9700 for their next generation, make or break devices? Not so sure if recycling an OS 5 design is going to do the trick for them in 2013.

FAIL.

Also, the leaked picture doesn't look like an iPhone...and go do some research about how many other full touchscreen rectangular devices with round corners there are on the market and get back to us. Here's a head start: between Motorola and Nokia I believe there were...5 of them announced yesterday alone?
    09-06-12 12:55 PM
    The first OS10 device going to market is going to be rectangular, with rounded edges, and a glass touch screen. All it takes is twelve (12) relatively uneducated people to be convinced by astute lawyers that this violates Apple design patents. RIM can try the same arguments as Samsung did, but in the end RIM is up the creek without a paddle. Apple may not win on the OS design, but the design of the device itself is sufficiently close to be a knock-off. People may not agree with the results of Apple v. Samsung, but it is clear that a sufficiently different shape must be chosen.
    Have you seen a Storm lately? Or a Torch or that all-touch Curve? Or any other Android or WP?
    Most of those havent been sued. Apple do not own the candy bar design.
    09-06-12 01:00 PM
    Would you rather RIM build a basketball shaped device? Who owns the patent on a basketball? Maybe shape it like a hammer? Wait, who patented the hammer? Maybe if they shape it like air they will be safe from patent infringement. Did anyone patent air? Maybe I will and sue all of you people out there breathing my air. The jury foreman is an . He has his own patent for a technology device and clearly is protecting his own interests. This will never stand on appeal anyhow, so why are people so worked up about it?
    09-06-12 01:21 PM
    It seems that the OP believes the Apple hype that I used to believe.
    Fact 1 - The iPhone was not the first all-touch smartphone in a rectangular shape with rounded edges. Just search for "LG Prada" which was launched 6 months before the iPhone.
    Fact 2 - It was also LG that first used the name IPad for a tablet computer.
    Fact 3 - Apple was not the first to use the name iPhone, that belongs to Linksys.
    bungaboy and axeman1000 like this.
    09-06-12 02:40 PM
    It seems that the OP believes the Apple hype that I used to believe.
    Fact 1 - The iPhone was not the first all-touch smartphone in a rectangular shape with rounded edges. Just search for "LG Prada" which was launched 6 months before the iPhone.
    Fact 2 - It was also LG that first used the name IPad for a tablet computer.
    Fact 3 - Apple was not the first to use the name iPhone, that belongs to Linksys.
    Beware of dark alleys and cliche looking vans following you around the streets
    09-06-12 03:04 PM
    With a nickname like "lawlist" and an avatar with a suit and tie, I'm obviously not "stupid". I'm not sure how my comment could be considered trolling. I'll resurrect this thread when the lawsuit is filed by Apple against RIM, and I'll say: . . . .
    I've seen chimpanzees dressed in suits and ties. And they chased ambulances. Does that make them lawyers?
    09-06-12 03:47 PM
    Which US Patent number are you basing your bet on?
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-12 03:57 PM
    Am I right, or am I right?
    You are wrong and yes, you are wrong.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    09-06-12 04:02 PM
    i LOL'ed reading this thread...such entertainment in here.
    09-06-12 04:31 PM
    OP is a troll.
    09-06-12 06:16 PM
    So, using logic found in this thread I am an expert in batteries? Cool.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 07:25 PM
    So, using logic found in this thread I am an expert in batteries? Cool.

I'm glad you explained it. I thought you were an expert at inflicting unwanted touching and/or the striking of an individual...
    09-06-12 08:01 PM
    I'm glad you explained it. I thought you were an expert at inflicting unwanted touching and/or the striking of an individual...

Once I dumped my partner Assault i changed my ways.

jenks5150 likes this.
    09-06-12 08:20 PM
    IF RIM was ever sued by Apple, (which I doubt they will be, because Apple is afraid of companies with a large amount of patents) they would lose..
    09-06-12 08:26 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD