Two words. PUSH E-mail.

Blackberry is King of PUSH e-mail. I use an iPhone and I can admit that.
    I've had push email on all my HTC devices. It is called ActiveSync a much more superior service to BES.

I know you're a fanboy, but of course as usual not versed enough in technology beyond whatever you're using.

The fact alone that you can't cook a ROM is proof enough. Not enough versatility.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 01:04 AM
    HTC is fully embracing Android while still supplying Winmo phones becasue there is still a market for the OS. Android is miles ahead of BB OS and whover said that RIM is innovate is smoking some good ish.
    I was going to respond to that user as well. Hardware wise, RIM is no where near innovative. I'm trying to think of one thing about my Tour, my Bold, my Storm (SurePress = #FAIL), or my 8900 that was innovative, hardware wise. Firmware/Software wise, that's different. It is a messaging work horse. Instant email, BlackBerry Messenger & Background processes for IM & other Social Networking Apps (FB/MySpace, Twitter, etc...).

Back to the OP: No, HTC will not be catching up. HTC is almost like Nokia without marketshare... they have great hardware, but they're dying for innovation when it comes to software/firmware when it comes to making the hardware work. Another thing, HTC is too big. Big difference between holding an iPhone or BlackBerry vs. an HTC device. Even though it might be the same height as the iPhone, the thickness and weight are no where near close. Look up any of the top HTC devices and without looking, I can tell you most (if not all) are no less than 5.50 oz in weight.
    09-05-09 01:48 AM
    I don't think so. HTC needs to increase build quality of their devices first, although the Hero is built very well. I would have considered the Hero if it came to the US with NA 3G bands.

Also, HTC needs to start using glass for their touchscreens. I believe all of them have been plastic.
    IMO, it's the capacitive screen that's making the difference. I believe the iPhone was the first (at least successfully) to use one. I'm not an expert in this area (in fact, I know very little), but I am willing to bet, this is why the screen is so much easier to type on and swipe through.

P.S. It will have NA 3G bands, but for T-mobile -- not AT&T.
    09-05-09 01:51 AM
    Htc has a huge potential with the android os but I can't see them topping rim and apple. The top dogs rim and apple have a big grasp on what the consumers want and their weakness is the others strength. Rim mastering their email system and apple with their multimedia prowness. If rim can improve the browser and stability of their OS they are in great shape in taking the top spot.

09-05-09 04:36 AM
    I've had push email on all my HTC devices. It is called ActiveSync a much more superior service to BES.

I know you're a fanboy, but of course as usual not versed enough in technology beyond whatever you're using.

The fact alone that you can't cook a ROM is proof enough. Not enough versatility.

Biggest problem I had with WinMo devices is, they always tied their features to MS Server products. In order to have push mail on WinMo 5+, you needed to be running Win Server 2k3 R2. In order to have HTML email, you needed to be running Exchange 2007.

These seem like artificial limits for MS to flog their server products.
    09-05-09 10:06 AM
    Personally, I think the Palm Pre has more potential than Android do. As a former Palm 650p user, I am by no means a huge fan and Palm spent years just sorta sucking. That said, they are leaner and better run now and doing a pretty good job marketing the Pre.
    09-05-09 10:07 AM
    yeah i want any android phone, but i hate t-mobile. no service in my area
    09-05-09 12:20 PM
    Guess you missed the announcement that the HTC Hero launches on Sprint Oct 11.
    09-05-09 01:24 PM
    One of the previous posters brought up a good point. Palm is a player in this too. If they can figure out how to manufacture a descent keyboard, they will be among the best if not the best. Incidentally, I really like the designs of the HTC phones - probably the best looking phones out there. I used to own a Tilt. The design was great, but the performance was abysmal. I think HTC with the Android OS is a winner. I would really like to spend some time with the Hero to make a better judgement. I would also like to through another manufacturer in the mix - Samsung. They make phones just about every week. With the Omnia 2, Omnia HD, and the Omnia Pro they are likely to make some some noise as well. Sidenote: the Omnia was the only device that I thought had a better web browser than the iphone. Just my personal opinion. I like the look ans appeal of a lot of the upcoming phones. But at the end of the day, I still have my Bold.

09-06-09 01:42 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD