It seems to be a minor feature, but it really makes my job and life easier.

Now I no longer carry my laptop with me when I have to do a powerpoint-like presentation, and more and more often I link Z30 to my tv and watch movies.

Ah, and it was also nice to see all the photos of the holyday in my friend's TV: everybody asking me if they could do the same whit their iPhone...

Priceless...

I hope they leave intact this feature in future models, anyone else loves/uses it?

Yuuuuupp!

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-14-14 07:21 PM
    I'd like to know this too. Does anyone know if the Q can play videos wide screen automatically? Never tried it, and thinking about getting one.

Posted via CB10

I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140215_011956.png
    I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140215_011951.png
    I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140215_011945.png

These screen shots are from the Z10. But should be the same on all BlackBerry 10 devices. Press the square at the top right corner, to change the size of picture.

Posted via CB10
    FMB8900 likes this.
    02-14-14 07:24 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140215_011956.png 
Views:	633 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	247933

Name:	IMG_20140215_011951.png 
Views:	630 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	247934

Name:	IMG_20140215_011945.png 
Views:	628 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	247935

These screen shots are from the Z10. But should be the same on all BlackBerry 10 devices. Press the square at the top right corner, to change the size of picture.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the screen shots! Buy will it take up the full wide screen display on a Lcd tv is what I'm asking?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 03:05 PM
    Thanks for the screen shots! Buy will it take up the full wide screen display on a Lcd tv is what I'm asking?

Posted via CB10
    That will depend on your tv's screen setting....full, zoom, etc... Basically the aspect ratio of the screen.

Posted by my GINORMOUS Z30
    02-18-14 04:17 PM
    I just signed up for Rogers AnyPlace TV Live on my Z10. I don't have cable and have been looking for the best way to watch live sports on TSN and Sportsnet (without getting a headache from streaming sites like FirstRow). Rogers AnyPlaceTV is actually really good. The quality is perfect, and the streams start playing in a couple seconds. I get TSN, TSN2, all the Sportsnets and a few other live channels. The Android version of the app gets OnDemand TV shows, but for me that isn't important (I tried loading up the APK but it force-closes when I try to play a video). The service is $5/month for 10 hours of video... doesn't seem like a lot, but they're waving overage fees until April 1st, so you can try it out til then and not worry about any caps.

That being said, HDMI out on the Z10 makes this the perfect way to get live sports for cheap. The quality is great and for $5/month, it's the best way I've found to get TSN without cable. I assume the Bell Mobile TV app is the same for Bell customers.

The biggest issue: there is no way to track your usage... seems really weird. I talked to Rogers yesterday about it and they acknowledged it's a missing piece and they are working on a way to put usage into an app (probably the My Account app). I'm thinking they're offering the "no overage fees" deal until they can provide a good way to track your usage. I'm pretty sure this goes against the new CRTC regulations, so they're probably forced to not charge overages until they can give users a way to track their usage.
    02-19-14 07:14 AM
    Could you please tell us about the cable length? 1.5-2 meters okay? To use it at a desktop (monitor)

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.537
    02-19-14 07:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    If I use my Q10 with the HDMI cable and watch video, could be YouTube, on my Sony LED HD TV I can just press the (I think it's called playon) button in the corner. That will play full screen on the TV, meaning corner to corner, ratio permitting.

I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140219_223724.png

Posted via CB10
    FMB8900 likes this.
    02-19-14 08:41 AM
    Just showing that I'm not making up stuff. This is on my 32 inch Sony HD, I put my hand in there for comparison of size, steaming from my square Q10 screen via HDMI. As you can see it's full screen. (the lower part is used to show participants in this google plus video conference, Kevins thumbnail is just behind my hand)
    This is by the way my new computer 'system' at home. The computer being my Q10. I hook up a bluetooth mouse and ditto keyboard to the Q and connect with the HDMI and viola! I can dump my laptop :-)
    I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140219_224455.jpg

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 08:55 AM
    RE: Cable length relevant? Read in CB that 5m would be too long, not working... true? Sorry for requestioning here.

02-19-14 09:44 AM
    Just showing that I'm not making up stuff. This is on my 32 inch Sony HD, I put my hand in there for comparison of size, steaming from my square Q10 screen via HDMI. As you can see it's full screen. (the lower part is used to show participants in this google plus video conference, Kevins thumbnail is just behind my hand)
    This is by the way my new computer 'system' at home. The computer being my Q10. I hook up a bluetooth mouse and ditto keyboard to the Q and connect with the HDMI and viola! I can dump my laptop :-)

Name:	IMG_20140219_224455.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	249290

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!! That's what I wanted to know!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 10:42 AM
    RE: Cable length relevant? Read in CB that 5m would be too long, not working... true? Sorry for requestioning here.

Cable length is not relevant. I've hooked up my Z10 to my TV using a cable that is over 7 m long. Have hooked up Playbooks and other Z10s to other TVs using HDMI cables all over 5m in lenght.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    02-19-14 11:27 AM
    I'm not that familiar with BB10, is this feature wireless too or does it just require a cable?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:56 PM
    It seems to be a minor feature, but it really makes my job and life easier.

Now I no longer carry my laptop with me when I have to do a powerpoint-like presentation, and more and more often I link Z30 to my tv and watch movies.

Ah, and it was also nice to see all the photos of the holyday in my friend's TV: everybody asking me if they could do the same whit their iPhone...

Priceless...

I hope they leave intact this feature in future models, anyone else loves/uses it?

Hi

Indeed great feature.

I invite you to download my application PhotoWall 3D. It's designed to use the hdmi output.

I have done this application for several reasons :
    - I prefer to hang my mobile in portrait ; but I want to be in fullscreen on my TV
    - I don't want to show all my screen - pick only some photos and not whole my album
    - I want to continue to use my mobile during a photo slideshow
    - I want to browse easily a cloud album photo (feature incoming)
    - at last, it's an amazing way to browse photo since you can see them in a 3D world (as Cooliris on iOS)

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 01:27 AM
    I'm not that familiar with BB10, is this feature wireless too or does it just require a cable?

Posted via CB10
    HDMI is not BlackBerry unique. It's a standard that many industries use. You just require a cable.
    If your computer, TV...electronic device has HDMI, then you just need 1 cable to carry audio, video and data instead of multiple cables. Makes life a lot easier!

02-20-14 07:57 AM
    OP....if you do power point presentations, then check out BlackBerry Express. It's free, easy to throw great presentations together on the fly. Also check out the export feature as an email. Put photos and text directly on someone's email screen.

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion, BlackBerry Express is much better for creation and presentation than Microsoft Powerpoint. Too bad BlackBerry has not released it for the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    02-20-14 09:13 AM
    Posted via CB10
    I regularly use my BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard for software development in a Unix environment via BBSSH Pro. It is unfortunate BlackBerry management decided to abort this device after its birth leaving it an unwanted, developmentally-challenged child at the orphanage. In the right hands this tablet could have become the primary "desktop" for most of BlackBerry's workforce. Maybe under Chen's leadership the company will release a new tablet (BlackBerry WorkBook or BlackBerry BlackBook) which is the same form-factor as the current BlackBerry PlayBook but with significantly upgraded internals for the challenges of mobile computing. I can dream, right?
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    02-20-14 09:23 AM
    That will depend on your tv's screen setting....full, zoom, etc... Basically the aspect ratio of the screen.

Posted by my GINORMOUS Z30
    My large screen television in the living room looks fine at 16:9 or 4:3 but when zoomed (1X or 2X) the tops and bottom of the images are cropped. The risk of "burn-in" is so low and the cost of HDTV units is decreasing to the point I keep the television in 16:9 mode 99% of the time. On my desktop the HDTV monitor connected to my notebook computer, BlackBerry PlayBook and occasionally my BlackBerry Z10 looks superb.
    02-20-14 09:29 AM
    HDMI is not BlackBerry unique. It's a standard that many industries use. You just require a cable.
    If your computer, TV...electronic device has HDMI, then you just need 1 cable to carry audio, video and data instead of multiple cables. Makes life a lot easier!

well, duh. Obviously HDMI is not BB specific, but that wasn't what I asked. I wasn't familiar with this feature and didn't know if BB10 supported a wireless type of way to mirror your screen like this HDMI-out solution.

Either way, ahhhh, that sucks! I was hoping that it had a wireless solution, especially since ios/android/WP8.1 already have it, but oh well, I'll have to let my boss know since he was looking to get BB10s for us, but I guess since its not wireless, he can't now.
    02-20-14 10:49 AM
    I love the HDMI out, my coworker buddies with iphones are amazed and a little envious I could hook it up to our huge TV in the conference room...

it's definitely an underrated feature.

I don't know why this picture is here... \/
    Attached Thumbnails I am totally in love with HDMI out-img_20140220_084855.jpg  
    02-20-14 10:56 AM
    I love the HDMI out, my coworker buddies with iphones are amazed and a little envious I could hook it up to our huge TV in the conference room...

it's definitely an underrated feature.

Blackberry Q10
    02-20-14 10:59 AM
    Cable length is not relevant. I've hooked up my Z10 to my TV using a cable that is over 7 m long. Have hooked up Playbooks and other Z10s to other TVs using HDMI cables all over 5m in lenght.

Thanks!

02-20-14 12:52 PM
    well, duh. Obviously HDMI is not BB specific, but that wasn't what I asked. I wasn't familiar with this feature and didn't know if BB10 supported a wireless type of way to mirror your screen like this HDMI-out solution.

Either way, ahhhh, that sucks! I was hoping that it had a wireless solution, especially since ios/android/WP8.1 already have it, but oh well, I'll have to let my boss know since he was looking to get BB10s for us, but I guess since its not wireless, he can't now.

Well duh? Nice way of responding. Maybe if you phrased your question in a better or more specific way, then maybe people could answer the question. You see the topic discussed in the thread? It is specifically about using an HDMI cable to output from your BB10 device to an external display. Nobody is referring to wireless mirorring.

Anyways, since you're aware that HDMI isn't BB specific, and that it requires a cable, why would you ask if it can be done via wireless???
    02-20-14 12:54 PM

If you want to mirror your screen (via wireless), then you'll have to get a Z30. It supports Miracast, which allows you to do exactly what you're looking for.
    02-20-14 12:56 PM
    My Q saves the day last weekend. My stupid Telus TV went down 10 minutes before the Olympic Hockey game came on. I had a bunch of people over to watch.

Everyone was pissed. I quickly grabbed my Q, plugged my HDMI into the TV and we were watching Hockey. Rogers has anywhere TV which has some decent sports coverage.

Nobody could believe how flawless it streamed the game.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 01:05 PM
    I don't know why this picture is here... \/
    For a moment I thought your BlackBerry PlayBook was on steroids and capable of 3-D projections.
    02-21-14 01:51 PM
81 1234