I plan to switch to BlackBerry after years of using Sam Sung should I?
    I was quite worried about changing the operating system after a long time.
    I am currently using ss note 8. Can you give me a BlackBerry suggestion?
    04-18-20 01:47 AM
    I don't recommend to switch now. The party is over. However, if you still want to get a BlackBerry phone, the Key2 and Key2 LE are the only current supported devices. You still get Android Oreo though.
    04-18-20 05:28 AM
    I don't recommend to switch now. The party is over. However, if you still want to get a BlackBerry phone, the Key2 and Key2 LE are the only current supported devices. You still get Android Oreo though.
    Don't forget to mention that they will be supported still till August maximum.
    04-18-20 05:33 AM
    I plan to switch to BlackBerry after years of using Sam Sung should I?
    I was quite worried about changing the operating system after a long time.
    I am currently using ss note 8. Can you give me a BlackBerry suggestion?
    I would suggest if you want to switch, find someone who has a KeyOne or Key2 so you can play around with one before you make up your mind. Both use the Android operating system used in your Note 8.

Coming from a Note 8 might be a big change for you, since your used to the larger screen and pen interface.

As far as changing back to the older Blackberry OS10 devices, I wouldn’t recommend it myself unless you strictly using it for phone calls and messaging.

For myself, the only reason for switching would be if you love the PKB rather then the touchscreen? One concern would be how long is Blackberry going to support updates for the KeyOne and Key2.

As far as any future devices being launched by Blackberry, at this point in time who knows for sure. I still have a Key2 and I like it and I do switch between it and my iPhone 11 Pro. Good luck with whatever decision you decide on.
    rarsen likes this.
    04-18-20 05:36 AM
    Bad Idea.....Do your research first.
    04-18-20 12:01 PM
    Bad Idea.....Do your research first.
    This is part of the research, no?
    DWonder likes this.
    04-18-20 12:06 PM
    This is part of the research, no?
    No.
    04-18-20 12:12 PM
    No.
    Depends on how you look at it. Asking in this particular forum for advice, it's the best starting point for a bb research on all topics - at least in my opinion
    DWonder likes this.
    04-18-20 12:17 PM
    Depends on how you look at it. Asking in this particular forum for advice, it's the best starting point for a bb research on all topics - at least in my opinion
    Yes Ops asked a question, I answered and went further by telling him to do there research. Blackberry is done and Ops would be going backwards. Not worth it in my opinion.
    04-18-20 12:25 PM
    No reason to get a BB really unless you had to have to keyboard on a Key2 series. That is the only reason as its not going to get any real support anymore.
    chain13 likes this.
    04-18-20 01:23 PM
    The BlackBerry ship has sailed, hit an iceberg and we are all now in Lifeboats drifting endlessly! I will be moving over to iPhone sooner or later. The party is over! If I were you, I would do my research on current platforms, many offerings available!
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-18-20 01:41 PM
    At this point you're paying a lot of money for a PKB compared to all the various Android VKB hardware available for the same price with better specs.

If the PKB is that important to you, make sure to get the proper Key2 for your region.
    04-18-20 08:47 PM
    Thanks for that,I will give it a try
    06-01-20 03:11 AM
    What ever happen to Op's??? Did they get a KEYone or not?
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    06-01-20 04:39 PM
    What ever happen to Op's??? Did they get a KEYone or not?
    Maybe or maybe not. Overall not sure and I put the odds 50/50 or so

;-)
    06-01-20 04:51 PM
    What are the chances that BlackBerry partners with another company and that company makes their phone like TCL?
    06-22-20 07:21 PM
    highly unlikely
    06-22-20 07:43 PM
    What are the chances that BlackBerry partners with another company and that company makes their phone like TCL?
    Two Chances.......
    Slim & None.....
    06-22-20 07:45 PM
    That's what we said when they shutdown BB1O and started releasing Android based phones until LTC started licensing their phones. Maybe this is a transition move towards another company. My guess is they will sign with another company either in 2021 or 2022
    06-22-20 08:03 PM
    That's what we said when they shutdown BB1O and started releasing Android based phones until LTC started licensing their phones. Maybe this is a transition move towards another company. My guess is they will sign with another company either in 2021 or 2022
    What would motivate ANY company to do this?

Keep in mind that, just looking at Android-based phones (because the BB10 debacle wasn't really related, and it is irrelevant now anyway), first BB failed to sell enough to make them profitable, and this was blamed on BB's high hardware costs because they had no other lines of phone business to leverage parts cost. Then BB licensed out the brand/OS/apps/designs to 3 different companies, all of whom failed pretty spectacularly, with even lower sales volumes.

Why would any company look at this business and say, "okay, the original company failed, and then 3 licensees failed - and unit sales fell by 50% each year - but I could somehow do better!" Consider that the market is not growing, it's constricting, and weaker players are being shaken out, and many have failed, and more are near failing, and many are being propped up by that company's other lines of business, because smartphones are seen as a "halo product." Keep in mind, too, that BB wants some hefty license fees in order to make any deals, making it impossible for any company to compete on price - TCL was arguably in the very best position to do that, and couldn't do it.

There is absolutely ZERO business case for any company to attempt this. Nokia and Samsung and LG and Motorola all either have their own PKB designs or, in the case of Motorola, already have cross-licensing agreements with BB and could have been making them this whole time if they felt there was a market - but they don't.

Obviously, you can choose to believe what you wish, but it is impossible to make a credible business case to support your dream of some other company licensing BB and making BB-branded smartphones. It's just not possible. If it was possible, BB likely would have made an announcement 2+ years ago, when it was clear around new years of 2018 that TCL was throwing in the towel.
    John Albert likes this.
    06-22-20 09:03 PM
    What would motivate ANY company to do this?

Keep in mind that, just looking at Android-based phones (because the BB10 debacle wasn't really related, and it is irrelevant now anyway), first BB failed to sell enough to make them profitable, and this was blamed on BB's high hardware costs because they had no other lines of phone business to leverage parts cost. Then BB licensed out the brand/OS/apps/designs to 3 different companies, all of whom failed pretty spectacularly, with even lower sales volumes.

Why would any company look at this business and say, "okay, the original company failed, and then 3 licensees failed - and unit sales fell by 50% each year - but I could somehow do better!" Consider that the market is not growing, it's constricting, and weaker players are being shaken out, and many have failed, and more are near failing, and many are being propped up by that company's other lines of business, because smartphones are seen as a "halo product." Keep in mind, too, that BB wants some hefty license fees in order to make any deals, making it impossible for any company to compete on price - TCL was arguably in the very best position to do that, and couldn't do it.

There is absolutely ZERO business case for any company to attempt this. Nokia and Samsung and LG and Motorola all either have their own PKB designs or, in the case of Motorola, already have cross-licensing agreements with BB and could have been making them this whole time if they felt there was a market - but they don't.

Obviously, you can choose to believe what you wish, but it is impossible to make a credible business case to support your dream of some other company licensing BB and making BB-branded smartphones. It's just not possible. If it was possible, BB likely would have made an announcement 2+ years ago, when it was clear around new years of 2018 that TCL was throwing in the towel.
    So now that’s it? We will never see another BlackBerry phone again?
    06-22-20 09:08 PM
    Exactly correct. That’s what’s been said here repeatedly. Pure capitalism
    06-22-20 09:20 PM
    That is what was said in your other Thread. No new BB phones. But what does it matter anyway, Thought you where looking for an Old BB phone.
    06-22-20 10:02 PM
    Keeping the improbable possible is what enthusiasts do. Lol. I worked after school, weekends, holidays and summers and dragged home a $15, 34 Ford about a year ahead of my 16th birthday. Dad, uncle, boss, two neighbors, teachers, and virtually EVERYone "over 30" expressed concern for my sanity. Lol. EVERYone under 20 expressed "KOOL". !! Lol. I had NO shortage of assistance from classmates. Which was reciprocated toward assistance of their projects. That's what highschool boys "did", back then. We helped each other to explore and develop skill sets we knew we'd need in the then impending techno culture life ahead. A year later that $15 jalopy was more $1500 Chevy than Ford but I managed to make it legal enough to become a licensed driver. 16th bd. Lol. That night, that " heap" turned a 14.9 sec 1/4. "Hot Rodding" was in my blood. Enthusiasts of ALL types were our pier group! By graduation to include motorcycles, planes, HAM, "phreeking" (look it up, lol), electronics of all sorts, physics, chemistry, math, etc, etc... WE were the generation heading for the moon! And beyond!! Lol. Exploration is what enthusiasts do! Why should engineers at Ford, Chevy, Harley, Cessna, RCA, NASA, etc, etc have ALL the fun? !! Lol. Breaking things is learning things! Hehe. Never forget, tho, ya wanna play, ya gotta pay... Figure on another job to pay the salvage yard when ya break things. Lol. OR, find a way to develop that beloved hobby into a revenue generating profession! Hehe.

Some portions of skill sets developed thru those early experiences still contributes to daily productivity. Daily life. Daily thought processes. Daily habits and attitudes! Precisely the attributes I sought when assembling my team, so many years ago.

If a user wants to try "dragging home a heap" (aka old BB) and learn, explore and discover skill sets toward keeping them working, that's exactly what enthusiasts do. The CB I joined in 08 would've been the perfect collection of enthusiasts to understand that. ... Which, of course, is what attracted me to CB. At least originally.

Ah..., the good old days. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-23-20 at 05:56 AM.
    gebco and p51 like this.
    06-23-20 05:35 AM
    Exactly correct. That’s what’s been said here repeatedly. Pure capitalism
    Think some got so use to BlackBerry writing off Billions on hardware and still making more phones.... they think it somehow was just the way things should be done.
    06-23-20 10:28 AM
42 12