I own a Curve 8330 and love it. When it operates correctly. The constant rebooting has got me thinking about a new phone especially after I played around with my buddy's HTC Evo even though I am not a fan of touchscreens. I have wiped it literally about 10 times. Tried disabling the media card. When that didn't help I just got rid of the media card all together. When that didn't work I shimmed the battery. The only thing I haven't done is just flat out replace the battery with a brand new one. Every morning I do the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL hoping it will help. No such luck. Then I just resorted to battery pulls. Still no flippin luck. I love my Curve but I am just flippin sick and tired and the 20 random reboots everyday and of course it always seems to happen when I need to use my phone.
    08-01-10 03:03 PM
    What are you doing when your phone reboots? Anything or is it just doing it while sitting idle?

Sounds to me like you've got a bad app or something corrupt on your OS. My Curve 8330m was running 4.5.0.186 when it was retired for the Bold 9650 and I found that OS to be extremely stable. What OS are you running?
    08-01-10 03:13 PM
    Have you checked your "File Free Memory"? Menu/Options/Memory, if it running down to single digits your going to have problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 03:17 PM
    OS update would/ could help.

08-01-10 03:21 PM
    OP, check what OS version your running, also, don't run off once the problem is fixed, at least give thanks for our work and help.

Press Alt-Shift-H to see the version number from the home screen.

08-01-10 03:31 PM
    Honestly, what are you complaining about, how old is that phone? Why don't you just get a job or save some money and get a newer curve, they aren't even that expensive. Or get a bold 9000 they are like $180 now.

08-01-10 03:50 PM
    The 8330 is ancient in terms of Blackberry devices.
    08-01-10 04:07 PM
    Honestly, what are you complaining about, how old is that phone? Why don't you just get a job or save some money and get a newer curve, they aren't even that expensive. Or get a bold 9000 they are like $180 now.

The 8330 is ancient in terms of Blackberry devices.
    SackHarry, a Bold 9000 is a GSM only device. OP's info says he's with Sprint, so that's CDMA - a Bold 9000 won't work for him. It'd have to be an 8530 or a 9650.

Give the OP a break. Maybe he still has time before his contract expires or he's up for renewal. The 8330 may be old, but it is a solid phone and should definitely not be acting the way the OP is describing. OP came here with frustrations and we are attempting to assist.
    08-01-10 04:22 PM
    I agree harry, passing judgment on his device I don't believe is help. And old compared to what, at least it is compatible with OS5!

08-01-10 04:50 PM
    I agree harry, passing judgment on his device I don't believe is help. And old compared to what, at least it is compatible with OS5!

Oh, I just meant "old" as in no longer carried by the carriers - passed "End of Life" so far as that goes. But, there is still no reason why a Curve should be acting the way OP is describing - I know folks who still rock their 8100 Pearl and it runs like a champ (albeit a bit slow).
    08-01-10 04:55 PM
    Yeah I retired my 8330 because of the slowwwww browser speed, freezing ,and bbm was useless and it slowed down the entire phone when it was installed which wasnt long.
    The phone part worked ,email and text messages but more and more of the web browsing got slow and slower .I went to an leaked 5.0.0.230 for awhile it helped some , but came time to put that phone to sleep forever so I did ,lol
    08-01-10 04:56 PM
    The new berries aren't much better...

08-01-10 05:28 PM
    Yes I have tried everything on here you guys suggested. Different OS's and all are doing it. Yes it will just sit on my desk at work and I will see the red led light come on and there it goes. All day long at least once an hour.

LMFAO @ Harry. You should tell my wife that. I am already getting bitched at cause I put in about 65-70 hours a week and don't have a whole lot of time around the house. I get most phones heavily discounted due to working partners and such but I just really love my 8330. But I am just at my wits end with it.

Anybody have any suggestion on a phone that I might like considering how much I like the 8330?

It's definitely time to get one now I just have to decide what to get.
    08-01-10 05:38 PM
    Pick up a Bold 9650 and call it a day. It has a faster processor as well
    as 5.3 time the memory of the 8330. That will reduce your battery pulls and reset
    dramatically. For a CDMA BlackBerry, there is nothing on the market that beats it.
    08-01-10 05:48 PM
    Your biggest problem is probably available memory. The 8330 came with 96 mb. You can update the OS but it will take up almost all of your available app memory. You can use Shrink-A-OS to get some more space, too. My Bold 9000 has a whopping 128 mb of app memory and I get a maximum of 25 mb after a battery pull. That is with shrinking the OS by getting rid of everything I do not need and only installing the apps that I really use (Google Maps, Slacker, Bolt, Yahoo Messenger, ScoreMobile and 2 extra themes). All Blackberries leak memory and the less you have the worse.

The newer ones are coming with 512 mb of app memory so battery pulls are less frequent.

08-01-10 05:50 PM
    If you love the form factor of the Curve you can consider a Curve 8530. Personally, I would recommend a Bold 9650 like amazinglygraceless suggested - it's got 512mb ram, wifi, EVDO rev A (meaning - faster 3G than the curve), a camera flash (8530 doesn't have a flash).

It took me about 5 minutes to get used to the keyboard coming from my Curve 8330m.
    08-01-10 06:01 PM
    All Blackberries leak memory and the less (sic apps) you have the worse.
    This I completely disagree and wish the term memory leak would find it's way
    out of our vernacular.

I have not restarted my phone in two weeks. My memory has fallen a whopping
    3mb in that time (106mb to a little under 103mb.) This is with 50 installed apps
    (yes, I use every single one of them regularly) and of those 8 start when the
    device does. If anyone would see the nebulous memory leaks I think I would.
    I don't and never have, even when using the Pearl 8100.

The advice on shrinking the OS is spot on and I really wish more users would
    do that as a matter of course when installing an OS
    08-01-10 06:02 PM
    Reading your post, OP, you haven't done the one thing you really need to do, replace the battery, if you want to use it for a while longer. I took my 8330 for that same issue, the battery was shot. They replaced mine at no charge. Yes, Sprint. Didn't even blink.

08-01-10 06:22 PM
    This I completely disagree and wish the term memory leak would find it's way
    out of our vernacular.

I have not restarted my phone in two weeks. My memory has fallen a whopping
    3mb in that time (106mb to a little under 103mb.) This is with 50 installed apps
    (yes, I use every single one of them regularly) and of those 8 start when the
    device does. If anyone would see the nebulous memory leaks I think I would.
    I don't and never have, even when using the Pearl 8100.

The advice on shrinking the OS is spot on and I really wish more users would
    do that as a matter of course when installing an OS
    Thanks for quoting me and then trying to "correct" my post. It did not need any corrections. I meant the less memory you have the worse it is. I did not mean the less apps you have the worse.

You must be doing something that the rest of us cannot figure out in term of memory leaks. I have yet to see a Blackberry that did not lose app memory as the day goes on.

I can install a new theme and over a couple of hours my app memory will drop from 25 to 10. If you have 300 mb free that is not a big deal.

Mine drops while nothing but the standard apps plus Yahoo Messenger are running. I don't use FB or Viigo, either.

Oh well, that is why I just ordered a new iPhone 4. I am tired of doing battery pulls and not being able to run all of the apps that I really want to. My whole family is converting to Apple. After I get my new iPhone it will be complete.

Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 08-01-10 at 06:33 PM.
    08-01-10 06:22 PM

Anybody have any suggestion on a phone that I might like considering how much I like the 8330?

It's definitely time to get one now I just have to decide what to get.
    I just went from the 8330 to the Bold 9650 and I love it.
    08-01-10 06:31 PM
    Thanks for quoting me and then trying to "correct" my post. It did not need any corrections.
    Not sure what you are talking about. The part I quoted was the part I wanted
    to address. Didn't think I need to repost your entire post to do that. The
    addition of "(sic apps") was purely for clarification purposes for anyone who
    may have wondered what I was addressing (if they had read your original posts)

At any rate, it was not (at least in my head) a correction of anything you
    posted. If you still feel slighted, I don't know what else to tell you except
    it was not my intent. No way you would know intent from reading typed words
    of course.
    08-01-10 06:42 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about. The part I quoted was the part I wanted
    to address. Didn't think I need to repost your entire post to do that. The
    addition of "(sic apps") was purely for clarification purposes for anyone who
    may have wondered what I was addressing (if they had read your original posts)

At any rate, it was not (at least in my head) a correction of anything you
    posted. If you still feel slighted, I don't know what else to tell you except
    it was not my intent. No way you would know intent from reading typed words
    of course.
    Ok. It was just that what you corrected it to was not what I said or meant to say. I stated "All Blackberries leak memory and the less you have the worse." I guess I should have said "All Blackberries leak memory and the less app memory you have the worse." I meant that it is worse on older devices that do not come with 256 or 512 mb. I did not mean the less apps you have the worse. That is the exact opposite of what the problem would be. The more apps you have the worse you app memory gets.

No biggie.
    08-01-10 07:02 PM
    To the OP, I recommend deleting App World. I have the CB App Store app installed, but not App World. I prefer getting my apps from the CB App Store, which does not leak memory. If there is an app I need that is only available in App World, I'll install App World, install the app, and then delete App World. App World has been a huge memory hog just having it on my device, even if it is not running.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-01-10 08:14 PM
    I will second not keeping AppWorld around. I will do the same thing (install it when I need it then uninstall it). It's kind of sad that RIM makes an app that is supposed to be something that we all should use every day and it leaks memory like a sieve.
    I got invited to try the new AppWorld 2 through the Blackberry Beta site but I am still waiting for the code to try it out. I signed up last Thursday.

08-01-10 08:24 PM
    Honestly, what are you complaining about, how old is that phone? Get a newer curve, they aren't even that expensive. Or get a bold 9000 they are like $180 now
    I buy 9700's of craigslist between 100 and 150. And sell them on CL for 225.00 @ the rate of 2-3 per week. If you're gonna go for a new phone go for the GOLD!! Or wait on the 9780 or 9800.

08-01-10 08:47 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD