Eayore, from allthingsD actually wrote a "non negative" article about RIM.

RIM Pulls In 15,000 New BB10 App Submissions - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

It's not a cheerleading article, but at least it's not the same "tolling of the bell" article I've become so used to. Hope maybe?
    01-14-13 02:48 PM
    There seems to be a lot of that going around lately. To say that it's a pleasant change would be a HUGE understatement!

I think the BIGGEST 180 are the positive articles coming from Gizmodo-if there's a h*ll, it has most definitely frozen over!
    01-14-13 02:52 PM
    I think the BIGGEST 180 are the positive articles coming from Gizmodo-if there's a h*ll, it has most definitely frozen over!
    I'll believe that when techcrunch writes something nice ...
    01-14-13 02:55 PM
    I'll believe that when techcrunch writes something nice ...
    I'll be afraid of the earth splitting open when that happens..
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-14-13 03:08 PM
    You start spending money advertising and everybody that sells advertising jumps on board.
    mcmolineux and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-14-13 03:09 PM
    Everybody loves a winner, yes even previous haters.

Jan 30 2013
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-14-13 03:13 PM
    gizmodo is my benchmark here. once they do a semi nice article, i will have to rethink my world
    01-14-13 03:15 PM
    gizmodo is my benchmark here. once they do a semi nice article, i will have to rethink my world
    No, no, no. BGR. That's your benchmark right there. Giz and Engadget are positively "BB fanbois" compared to BGR. Once in a while, the Giz or Engadget writers somehow wrote a positive RIM article that DIDN'T end with "if they can stop themselves from sucking dead chupacabra ***" or something as a charming footnote... but with BGR, even the most positive news, from RIM, from analysts, from investors, would have the chupacabra in there, with links to their PREVIOUS critical posts, just to "keep it real" or whatever. It was really kind-of sickening. Like sucking dead chupacabra ***.
    darkehawke and kozmo68 like this.
    01-14-13 03:32 PM
    I'm sure the clapfoot will let us know when its back. I haven't encountered any bugs and I'm on sector 28..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 03:50 PM
    I'm not too stunned. The media is not actually about reporting news, but about entertainment. When you watch your typical evening TV news, it's made to be an entertaining show.
    You don't attract attention and impress the audience with "things are looking slow", "thinks look so so", "it's going to be difficult, but we'll see". You attract attention by saying "It's the end of the world!!!", "It's going to be amazing!"
    Hence you typically see either really positive, or really negative articles.

Of course, some articles are more honest and neutral than others, but in those cases, it is probably because they've already tried their best to spin it as positive or as negative as possible.
    E.g. Apple sales have started to slump because it's the same old same old. And if you wanted to make a big splash, you could very much say "Apple is dead!". But of course that sounds pretty far fetched considering their high sales and their huge cash reserves. So the tone it down and say something like the stock is on a decline due to competition, etc.

RIM on the other hand was indeed in pretty bad shape. They had intense competition from iOS and Android, their sales were declining, their cash pile was declining, they were losing money for each quarter. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say the company would go bankrupt.

So the bottom line is, take everything you read with a grain of salt and make your own judgments based on the facts presented and make sure to scrutinize whatever analysis are presented to you.
    Snap51 and bambinoitaliano like this.
    01-14-13 04:55 PM
    Itheir cash pile was declining
    Have you been watching RIM's cash pile the last few quarters? I'd suggest not ...

It wouldn't be too far fetched to say the company would go bankrupt.
    With no debt, and cash that was rising?
    kozmo68 likes this.
    01-14-13 05:30 PM
    Have you been watching RIM's cash pile the last few quarters? I'd suggest not ...

With no debt, and cash that was rising?
    Here, I did your homework
    I don't see where you see "rising". Cash and cash equivalent itself is going to be a constantly fluctuating value depending on it's day to day operations, but if you look at the current assets, you can clearly see a decline.
    Cash and equivalents as of:
    February 26, 2011...... $1,791 Million
    November 26, 2011......$1,123 Million
    March 3, 2012.......... $1,527 Million
    June 2, 2012 ............ $1,467 Mllion
    September 1, 2012 . $1,511 Million

Current Assets as of :
    February 26, 2011...... $7,488 Million
    November 26, 2011......$7,202 Million
    March 3, 2012.......... $7,056 Million
    June 2, 2012 ............ $6,664 Mllion
    September 1, 2012 . $6,301 Million

Coupled with all the other things I mentioned. It wasn't hard to draw the conclusion that the company was in trouble.
    And anyone saying that the company was in tip top shape at the time would have very little evidence of it, until of course BB10 started to really materialize and the momentum started going. Especially in the last quarter. And that is when you start seeing the cash and the current assets increasing.
    Cash as of December....... $1,910 Million
    Current assets as of December 1, 2012....... $6,826 Million

You seemed to have also completely missed my point, and that was that people want to report really good news or really bad news. Even if the technicals were not all that catastrophic, people drew a line of best fit that would get the best news story, and flew with it.
    01-14-13 05:55 PM
    Here, I did your homework
    Ahhh - I wasn't expecting that. Kudos to you. With that said, looking at each earnings release, there's an upward trend in cash, which was my point.

Sept 15, 2011: Cash is $1.4 billion (following RIM paying into the Nortel Patents
    Dec 15, 2011: Cash is $1.5 billion (Mike and Jim's last full quarter)
    March 21, 2012: Cash is $2.1 billion (Thorsten takes over)
    June 28, 2012: Cash increased to $2.2 billion
    Sept 27, 2012: Cash increased to $2.3 billion
    Dec 20, 2012: Cash increased to $2.9 billion

I don't see where you see "rising".
    RIM.com/investors

You're right in that there is a decline in assets. There were also several well publicized write-downs in the value of inventory (noteably a half billion dollar inventory writedown for PlayBook and another several hundred million dollar one the next quarter.

Coupled with all the other things I mentioned. It wasn't hard to draw the conclusion that the company was in trouble.
    The trends are of concern, but I have trouble with people tossing around the bankruptcy word. Especially when there are no debt obligations to speak of. RIM has plenty of downsizing options. This isn't like they're under a mountain of debt and have no cash to pay the debts.

You seemed to have also completely missed my point, and that was that people want to report really good news or really bad news.
    No - I took issue with the bankruptcy claim. Your post clarifies your point further and I think we mostly agree.
    01-14-13 08:32 PM