I bought a "New/Sealed" blackberry pearl off of ebay last week. I purchased it from a powerseller with about 99% positive feedback and about 45000 sales in all. When I got the phone today I activated it with Sprint without any problems. I had to change plans to get BIS on it, and the CS rep told me that the icons for the browser, sprint tv, and gps would show up within the next few hours.

A few hours later I didn't see any new icons, so I decided to call Sprint tech support and see what is going on. After spending about an hour on the phone with tech support, the sprint agent told me that the phone was flagged with blackberry as lost or stolen, so I would not be able to use it for data services.

What I dont understand is how I was able to activate the phone in the first place if it was supposedly lost/stolen. Doesn't that mean that I wouldnt be able to use it AT ALL?
    02-07-09 07:15 PM
    From my past experiences, if the ESN is reported lost of stolen, then you wont be able to activate the phone at all. I could be wrong, but i had a bit of a mix up with my phone when i first bought it from the seller from craigslist. luckily since they were the account holder i got it straightened up quick. try to contact the seller. check the ad on ebay and see if they claimed the esn to be clean. if you used paypal, dispute it.
    02-07-09 07:17 PM
    that sucks..sorry
    02-07-09 07:20 PM
    Well definitely not the data services as the support rep had eluded to.
    02-07-09 07:21 PM
    Wow Tyrand. Thanks for your valuable insight.

Duvi-
    I was under the impression that a lost/stolen phone couldnt even be activated for voice services. IE the phone is rendered completely useless. Obviously you're far more knowledgable about this than I am, but I dont understand how one service could be enabled but not the other?
    Last edited by Jasonvln; 02-07-09 at 07:24 PM.
    02-07-09 07:21 PM
    I hope you get it worked out
    02-07-09 07:25 PM
    Usually on CDMA carriers, nothing can be used, but on GSM they only thing that can be stopped is BB data services.
    02-07-09 07:26 PM
    If the tech said data, then I guess you can use the voice even though it is a cdma device.
    02-07-09 07:27 PM
    I would call back and verify with another rep. Dont make mention that you were informed of that information. Just call them and pretend you didnt know, and see if another rep verifies the same information. Because like Duvi, I was under the impression that with CDMA carriers, the device is rendered useless when it is on the "Negative List"
    02-07-09 07:30 PM
    Thanks everybody for the help. I've called and e-mailed the seller so i should hear something next week hopefully. If that doesnt work I'll be filing a chargeback and get my money back.
    02-07-09 07:34 PM
    As a precautionary measure, email the seller stating that you are filing a claim to get a refund and file it. If it gets resolved, drop it. If it doesn't you're already ahead of the ballgame.
    02-07-09 07:36 PM
    As a precautionary measure, email the seller stating that you are filing a claim to get a refund and file it. If it gets resolved, drop it. If it doesn't you're already ahead of the ballgame.

Very true, because sadly some people will not care, until the claim is filed, and its then their money on the line.
    02-07-09 07:38 PM
    Very true, because sadly some people will not care, until the claim is filed, and its then their money on the line.
    As soon as the dispute is opened, PayPal freezes the seller's account, at least for the amount of your disputed transaction. This pi$$es the seller off to no end. It could make subsequent resolution with the seller difficult until the seller calms down a little (based on personal experience).
    02-07-09 07:42 PM
    As soon as the dispute is opened, PayPal freezes the seller's account, at least for the amount of your disputed transaction. This pi$$es the seller off to no end. It could make subsequent resolution with the seller difficult until the seller calms down a little (based on personal experience).

This is very true, on the other hand, if the seller knows the ESN wasnt clean, they will issue the refund, also if they are a good seller, and want to keep there rep, they will settle the dispute asap. The seller has 45000 sales apparently, I would assume they understand how to keep people happy, and will probably work with the buyer.
    02-07-09 07:46 PM
    Thanks everybody for the help. I've called and e-mailed the seller so i should hear something next week hopefully. If that doesnt work I'll be filing a chargeback and get my money back.
    Good call.. I was going to suggest this. Ebay is pretty good about resolving customer issues. Sellers are VERY loathe to have Ebay tag them as a bad seller.. especially with the rep that seller had.
    02-07-09 07:54 PM

It was done to me once and I did not have a problem with it at all. The seller didn't want the product anymore and all I did was request a return to shipper prior to the buyer receiving it.
    02-07-09 07:55 PM
    If the phone is suspected to be stolen or lost, they probably lock the data services to keep you from being able to access the previous owner's email, or other accounts they may have set up on the phone. I'm sure the activation will be temporary as well, until they can verify the correct ownership of the device.
    02-07-09 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD