What happens if Rogers commits to x number of Z30s, signs up x number of Z30 plans and then 6 months down the road Blackberry is sold and the consumer hardware biz is dropped. Who is responsible for servicing Z30s for repairs of busted screens, components, or replacement of faulty batteries? And what happens to the x number of unsold Z30s?
    Could happen with any company, but agreement would state responsibility until said parts or services were not available. No different than any phone or toy phone.

Posted via CB10
    bombastic likes this.
    10-06-13 08:12 AM
    If I'm of the opinion consumers don't have the right to express such displeasure I would have stated so. But that is not the case. In fact, I support the means that you mentioned rather than the multitude of threats publicly made against Rogers.
    Umm....no. You clearly called them disloyal hypocrites...
    bombastic likes this.
    10-06-13 08:14 AM
    Birdman and\ Wikicydia are both making sense, the problem is that you keep attributing false premises to them, as well as changing your own - apparently confusing even yourself, thus the conclusions you reach are invalid and nonsensical.

Indeed, the argument was: one should not commend Rogers for not carrying the z10 while condemning customers who choose to leave Rogers. The corollary to that is one should not condemn Rogers for not carrying the z10 while commending customers for leaving.

Quite simple, and if you agree with that, then you are agreeing with them.
    One should have their facts straight and should know proper usage before attempting to use big words. This truly makes no sense.
    bombastic likes this.
    10-06-13 08:27 AM
    In that instance, BlackBerry is a customer of Rogers. They spent money and came to an agreement for all the sponsorships because they felt it's beneficial for their business.

What people don't realize is that carriers are customers. They get invoiced by the manufacturers. They commit to minimum buys and tie up money in inventory. Their investment helps keep that manufacturer in business. But there's no obligation to do so.
    They could also order by the piece, if people really want a Z30 on contract by Rogers, they should be able to. Even if Rogers has to order the phone first and the customer has to wait longer, at least the possibility will be there for their (Rogers') costumers to stay with them AND have the phone they want. This way, they won't have to buy devices that won't sell, and the end costumer has what they want. Simple solution, but not picked up on at Rogers.

(by the way, I'm dutch and Rogers isn't a carrier here, just stating my opinion as this is what some dutch carriers do)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    10-06-13 08:32 AM
    A classic birdman thread. Love the tantalizing title.

Agree with you.
    10-06-13 08:43 AM
    BlackBerry fans expect carrier partners to offer each and every new BlackBerry device, no questions asked. But when a major one decides against it, it's perceived as being disloyal. So what do those same BlackBerry fans do? Threaten to take their business elsewhere, essentially showing an equal amount of disloyalty.

If that's not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
    I don't think carriers continuing to carry BlackBerry devices as being "loyal", nor customers threatening to leave a carrier just because they don't carry BlackBerry is equivalently "disloyal".

Loyalty does not make sense here. Loyalty isn't even a commodity, yet you posted as if its a commodity that can be sold or traded.

But to say, that customers who were on carriers wanting to get a newer BlackBerry, but denied of that choice ought to be angry for being denied the choice, furthermore if data suggests that the carrier had promoted the phones from the same company previously. That isn't illogical, I'll say.

What is illogical in this thread, is that equating the need of customers to be faithful to a carrier vs a carrier's decision to promote a product as a base case of loyalty. I don't see the loyalty part at all.
    10-06-13 09:04 AM
    What happens if Rogers commits to x number of Z30s, signs up x number of Z30 plans and then 6 months down the road Blackberry is sold and the consumer hardware biz is dropped. Who is responsible for servicing Z30s for repairs of busted screens, components, or replacement of faulty batteries? And what happens to the x number of unsold Z30s?
    Doesn't matter. Contracts and warranty will continue no matter who owns what. Unsold phones normally go back to Blackberry for what I heard,
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    10-06-13 10:00 AM
    Rogers are being pricks to their long time blackberry partners & also their customers. But we Don't know the whole story, maybe Blackberry was trying to gouge Rogers.

But there is a simple solution if you want the z-30. ORDER IT FROM THE BLACKBERRY WEBSITE AND STOP YOUR CRYING!!!
    21stNow and larry5 like this.
    10-06-13 10:11 AM
    Rogers had no qualms about taking a ton of sponsorship money for their owned sports teams. They made a lot of money off BlackBerry's back when all their Rogers video was going out of business. So yes excuse me if I want to give them s*** for it not providing me the phone I want to buy as one of their customers...

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    "It isn't personal. It's just business".

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:15 AM
    They could also order by the piece, if people really want a Z30 on contract by Rogers, they should be able to. Even if Rogers has to order the phone first and the customer has to wait longer, at least the possibility will be there for their (Rogers') costumers to stay with them AND have the phone they want. This way, they won't have to buy devices that won't sell, and the end costumer has what they want. Simple solution, but not picked up on at Rogers.
    I see what you're saying, but I don't believe that's the ideal business model (even though T-Mobile is doing something similar in the States). Many of Rogers sales channels are dealers rather than corporate stores. You're saying they would expect their dealers to tell a customer, "Sure, you can buy that Z30 today but it should be here in a few business days". Then Rogers would ship individual orders from its warehouse by courier which would be expensive.

Alternatively, the dealer may say, "Can we interest you in something else?" Keep in mind that their intent is to sell accessories too (cases, screen protectors). A sales rep can't do that when the customer leaves the store with nothing. The phone is the bread, what is sold with it is the butter.

BlackBerry would still require Rogers to have a minimum buy, and my guess is the the ask would still be too high. If BlackBerry is sold for parts in 2014, what would Rogers do with all that unsold stock under that model? Try to convince dealers to sell them in stores?

An on-demand order system from Rogers to resellers for the Z30 isn't feasible. Maybe for enterprise, but not consumer.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 10-06-13 at 11:30 AM.
    10-06-13 10:50 AM
    All talk and no buys.... how about get rid of your old phones and start buying new blackberry phones z30. As much as all the uproar, quit crying and go spend that 700 to support bb

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:02 AM
    All talk and no buys.... how about get rid of your old phones and start buying new blackberry phones z30. As much as all the uproar, quit crying and go spend that 700 to support bb

Posted via CB10
    I'll spend my money on something that works for me, not to support a company.
    GadgetTravel and Etios like this.
    10-06-13 11:08 AM
    As will carriers, when they plan their model lineup.
    10-06-13 11:10 AM
    The issue of hypocrisy is around the millions they spent on advertising whining about how the gov't wasn't supporting Canadian carriers and what do they do, pull support from a fellow Canadian company.

The issue isn't as simple as not stocking products that aren't popular, it is a push/pull business model. If the products and Z30 isn't available in the channel, BB is screwed.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:10 AM
    Exactly. These are companies, not causes.
    Etios likes this.
    10-06-13 11:11 AM
    Exactly, these are companies, not causes.
    Same thing can be said for Rogers and their support of BlackBerry.
    10-06-13 11:13 AM
    Why on earth would anyone be loyal to a carrier? That's nuts. They've all screwed us over the years with hidden contract requirements, huge roaming fees etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:24 AM
    the nsa phone maybe popular, but that doesn't mean they are the best.
    I think you want to educate yourself in security..no Blackberry phones is more secure than any other phones out there unless is on BES but it is also no more safe than IOS/WP/Android on other MDM secure servers...
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-06-13 11:27 AM
    Is this your first day on CB or have you only been reading select posts by a few very pleasant posters. At no time did anyone at BlackBerry ever state they are looking to go out of business. There's been plenty of people predicting this would happen, plenty of media outlets, why not quote someone that's actually said something along those lines instead of creating something that didn't happen? At a time when it's so easy to find someone predicting the death of BB, this post is laughable at best.

Posted via CB10
    isn't selling yourself the same thing as going out of business? successful businesses do not go out of their way to sell themselves out of desperation like Blackberry.If Blackberry do not succeed in getting acquired, what do you think will happen? This company have nothing to go on...please read their last quarterly earning.
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-06-13 11:33 AM
    I agree. It is true.
    10-06-13 11:37 AM
    BlackBerry 10 phones sell fairly well in Canada they decided to carry the Q5 instead if the z30. Even Bell, Telus, SaskTel, Verizon, At&t and Sprint will be carrying it.
    I do not know what you consider "Fairly well" since they sold 1.7m BB10 worldwide in 3 months. Blackberry has 5% of the Canadian market.
    10-06-13 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    They have to support themselves, it is not the market fault if they keep manufacturing phones that no one wants..The market is more sophisticated than they think and it had enough years ago of their rubbish products.
    10-06-13 11:50 AM
    isn't selling yourself the same thing as going out of business? successful businesses do not go out of their way to sell themselves out of desperation like Blackberry.If Blackberry do not succeed in getting acquired, what do you think will happen? This company have nothing to go on...please read their last quarterly earning.
    Simple answer.

No.

And you've been on here long enough to know better.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:54 AM
    BlackBerry fans expect carrier partners to offer each and every new BlackBerry device, no questions asked. But when a major one decides against it, it's perceived as being disloyal. So what do those same BlackBerry fans do? Threaten to take their business elsewhere, essentially showing an equal amount of disloyalty.

If that's not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
    Hate to break it to you but that isn't anywhere near "the pot calling the kettle black". You are confusing healthy business practice with customer loyalty to a particular brand. They are two totally different things. Carriers are in business to make money. They are loyal to whatever brand puts money in their hands. If they were loyal to a brand that does not sell, they would not stay in business very long. They depend on sales figures. Fans get emotional about a brand and will stick with it no matter what because they don't depend on sales figures. All that some BB fans care about is having their favorite device. You think BlackBerry fans should stay with Sprint out of loyalty even if they want a Z10 but can't get it through Sprint?
    10-06-13 11:57 AM
    i think Rogers has not done justice even to support Canadian company in this time of help,same bb must have helped rogers earn millions in their early days .
    10-06-13 12:09 PM
125 12345