When I hear people talk about battery life I would think about solar power. I've seen concepts of integrated solar power in mobile phones on the Net but never truly seen or hear of one in real life.

A recent article of RIM using OLED as a means to conserve battery life makes me wonder why they wouldn't look into integrating solar power into their phones (like those calculators, for example). This would truly be an innovative addition to their BB10 phones if they included such a feature. The phone can continually recharge wherever there is light. This would certainly extend the battery life and perhaps save them from cutting out good features or include new ones - in other words, gives more features leg room.

Of course, I don't know if there are any technical obstacles that may prevent the creation of "hybrid" phones (think hybrid cars) but, considering the technology now available in this field, I do not think it would be much of an obstacle. It would certainly be a very useful, not to mention neat, feature to have (and one feature that absolutely no consumer phones out there currently have).
    06-30-12 11:45 PM
    Solar might support phones in stand-bye mode but after that forget it. And phones spend a lot of time in pockets
    07-01-12 12:09 AM
    When I hear people talk about battery life I would think about solar power. I've seen concepts of integrated solar power in mobile phones on the Net but never truly seen or hear of one in real life.

A recent article of RIM using OLED as a means to conserve battery life makes me wonder why they wouldn't look into integrating solar power into their phones (like those calculators, for example). This would truly be an innovative addition to their BB10 phones if they included such a feature. The phone can continually recharge wherever there is light. This would certainly extend the battery life and perhaps save them from cutting out good features or include new ones - in other words, gives more features leg room.

Of course, I don't know if there are any technical obstacles that may prevent the creation of "hybrid" phones (think hybrid cars) but, considering the technology now available in this field, I do not think it would be much of an obstacle. It would certainly be a very useful, not to mention neat, feature to have (and one feature that absolutely no consumer phones out there currently have).

You can't compare the energy consumption of a smartphone and a calculator. The energy used in 1 minute by you smartphone can power your calculator for 100 years.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-01-12 03:13 AM
    RIM has some fuel cell patents that were recently approved, but I'm doubting we will see that type of tech any time soon. As for solar charging you can buy a charging panel with microUSB out at Harbor Freight for $28 that I saw someone I know with an Android phone use on a camping trip last weekend. Two other people that were with us went out this week and bought some.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    07-01-12 07:29 AM
    Well interesting this was brought up here is what TechRadar has to say.
    In Depth: How do you charge your phone when you're miles from a power socket? How do you charge your phone when you're miles from a power socket? | News | TechRadar
    07-01-12 12:20 PM
    Solar might support phones in stand-bye mode but after that forget it. And phones spend a lot of time in pockets
    The solar power usage I have in mind wasn't meant to completely replace your charger but rather as a small means to extend your battery life during the day. It is true that phones remain in a carrier/pockets most of the time but, if the feature is available, one can simply put it on a table to have it powered while you work or it can be powered while you text or play games. Every small exposure would see to a possible extension of battery life.

You can't compare the energy consumption of a smartphone and a calculator. The energy used in 1 minute by you smartphone can power your calculator for 100 years.
    I wasn't comparing the energy consumption of a smartphone to a calculator. That would be absurd. I merely used the calculator as a real-life example of where the concept have been applied.

I believe there is a slight misunderstanding to what I suggested. So just to be clear, the concept of fuel cell/solar power cell integration to the mobile phone device that I suggested would not replace a power outlet but rather as a means to extend the battery life during a day's or days' usage. For example, a phone can be used for 5 hrs without the fuel cell/solar power addition before plugging it in but adding that feature may extend usage to possibly 8 or 10 hrs before one needs to plug in.
    07-01-12 11:05 PM
    Well I saw a Solar Powered Battery TV Commercial called "Get Charger" and so it sounded Great when presented, but the whole idea of letting the solar charger Hang by the side of any device looks awful. Heck, I would rather have the BB10's hardware made of full solar power casing. Of course the Charger on the Commercial can receive it's electricty from any light source: lamp etc . That would be nice for the BB10 Hardware to do that.
    07-21-12 11:57 PM
    my phone wouldn't get much sun....I prefer RIM's patent for charging by typing...I bet my battery would never go dead if they implemented that lol
    07-22-12 12:21 AM
    my phone wouldn't get much sun....I prefer RIM's patent for charging by typing...I bet my battery would never go dead if they implemented that lol
    Ah... like Osmosis 'eh?
    07-22-12 02:04 AM
    kenetic energy would be better for a smartphone then solar. as you walk it charges and you pull it otu of the holster it charges, you still need a battery though or you'll never be able to store the charge to use at a later time
    07-22-12 02:09 AM
    did you mean something like this?

Samsung E1107 Crest Solar - Full phone specifications

I actually have one of these. The solar panel is practically useless. Its touted as providing 10 minutes of talk time for each 1 hour of being left under the sun, it has to be sunlight. This is good for emergency situations, but other than that... And this is a feature phone, which isn't suppose to consume that much power. Imagine when data is thrown into the picture.

To be useful, the solar panel has to be of extremely high quality, something to do with the sensitivity of the photovoltaic cells. So that it is more efficient at converting energy or some sort. This will probably drive the price of the phone so high that it is not feasible anymore. Then the phone has to be built to withstand the heat of being in the sun for long periods of time. Then the material of the phone has to be heat insulating of some sort so after leaving it in the sun, the user can use the phone. Imagine putting to your ear a phone that has been baked in the sun for hours.

I'm not really sure how it works exactly, but i think its not the best idea as of yet.
    07-22-12 02:22 AM
    I think that we will need to wait a few more years until we will have those things available.
    Right now there is no technology that can be used to make a big change.
    Last edited by blackberry-unlocking710; 07-22-12 at 11:59 PM.
    07-22-12 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD