So you'll hear around here that the people are most informed if they use all the different devices. So I was thinking about the current top two platforms and who uses them. Well BB does. You gotta think BB knows their enemy more than anyone. The developers at BB must know everything about Android and iOS. They've worked hard not only to make android work on BB10 and also make it so its easy for developers to port their ios or 'droid apps on over to BB10. They know what android/ios can do and what it can't. This knowledge will help BB learn from the other two and take the good and leave the bad. Does anyone think the other platform makers know this much about BB? I'd say no and thats one huge advantage.
    02-15-13 12:22 AM
    I'd agree with that, yeah. I can only imagine how many times the developers at Blackberry sat around a table with iPhones and Android devices studying every inch of the hardware/software.

I remember meeting a guy who worked at Microsoft, in their Mac development division. He would go out and buy all the newest Apple products and figure out how they could optimize Microsoft/Windows products for them-it was just pretty interesting to hear first hand how hands on they are with the competition.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 12:45 AM
    RIM just need to sell lots of bb10, make good money and then use this knowledge to hire more staff to kick the butts of iCrape and Spyroid
    JR A likes this.
    02-15-13 12:49 AM
    I think your missing one overall fact. that BB is so far behind with the amount of handsets out there they have an impossible mountain to climb to be anywhere near apple/android popularity.

If BB had moved with the times they would not have been in this position now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    02-15-13 01:00 AM
    But they all had to start from somewhere. Think of this as BlackBerry's start. They can climb this mountian if they keep on the path they are on now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-15-13 01:04 AM
    It's not gonna be easy, and it's a big Mountain to climb. But the high ground is the most advantages
    02-15-13 02:08 AM
    Google lives in a world apart from the rest of us. However, I suspect they do have a "skunk works" lab where they try to uncover how to extract any information they can from all devices--including BB10 devices. They are information collectors first and foremost. It is a fetish with them.

Apple is filled with ber-arrogant. They don't care about BlackBerry. They never give it a moments thought. To them, it is obvious everyone wants (or will want when they become enlightened) iPhone so why consider anything else?
    02-15-13 05:57 AM
    Thorsten actually said just that. He and other decision makers used to carry around iPhones or Android phones so he could better understand what they did and how they did it. They set out to improve upon and make more efficient what the competition does.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-15-13 06:04 AM
    this is a disadvantage, not an advantage. it suggests that blackberry will always play catchup with the other two...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 06:07 AM
    I read somewhere that Apple has a full fledged research/espionage group that literally had a budget greater than most tech firms entire operating budgets.

You know Samsung spends plenty on, uh, studying rivals, and I know HTC does too.
    02-15-13 06:09 AM
    dont they spend a load to find out what their rivals are developing, not what they have already developed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 06:25 AM
    Personally, I'd bet that the people who work on iOS and Android are indeed studying BB10, not to mention WP. Why wouldn't they? To understand your competitors is just minimal competence. Even though BB10 isn't really at the level of "competitor" yet, it's just common sense to keep a close eye on what it's all about, and to see if there's anything there worth...borrowing.
    02-15-13 06:51 AM
    Pro on any of platforms should be intelligent enough to understand how other platforms work.

Delusional idea by OP

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 06:58 AM
    Thorsten actually said just that. He and other decision makers used to carry around iPhones or Android phones so he could better understand what they did and how they did it. They set out to improve upon and make more efficient what the competition does.
    This. The day I heard that Thorsten was using a SGS3 was the day I know BlackBerry had moved on from the days of "It's just a phone, no one needs more than a great email client" and "Touchscreens are just gimmicks" to actually UNDERSTANDING what made the other platforms tick and why the masses are so attracted to them. And that's why I'm excited for my Z10. It'll be the best of both worlds.

The problem with the OP's conclusion is that Google and Apple don't necessarily have to be tuned in to what BlackBerry is doing because developers will already be all over copying BB10's defining features. There's already a BB10 keyboard form iOS, but I don't know how thorough of a copy it is. I can see it being a deal where you swipe up to enter predicted words, but I don't know about all the other features that are SwiftKey native that BB10 has also adopted, like the swiping left to erase and taking speech predictions from email, social media, SMS, etc. Likewise, it won't be too long before there's a launcher available for Android that mimicks gestures. The problem with this, though, is that I don't see how it could be that deeply integrated beyond the home screens/app drawer. Active frames would most likely just be a window view of the task manager like on JB. But native and 3rd party Android apps obviously wouldn't support gestures unless you have the few that already support them (youtube, plume, imo, etc).

So basically, there's the capability for some frankendevices. To the BlackBerry fan that wants a PURE BB experience of course that's not going to be enough, and they'll still get a BB10 device. The real question is, would developer enhancements be enough to placate those on other platforms enough to keep them from dropping their preferred ecosystem and giving BB10 a shot?
    02-15-13 09:02 AM
    All manufacturers are very aware of what the competitive landscape is. Don't think for a minute that Samsung and Apple (especially Apple since they seem to be a tipping point) are going to sit back and not try to mitigate any "advantages" that BB10 SW brings. Samsung in particular is a very predatory company, likes to time product launches to interfer with other anticipated launches of competitive product.
    02-15-13 09:11 AM
    It's a cycle. When you're top dog, everyone has you in their crosshairs . BlackBerry smartphones were just that 6-7 years ago and I bet you the competition was studying them at the time.

Now BlackBerry is coming in as the underdog and the roles are reversed. If they make a big enough splash, I'm sure their competitors will take note once again.
    02-15-13 09:22 AM
    I think your missing one overall fact.
    What you are about to say is not a fact... and as an 'opinion', it's incorrect.

that BB is so far behind with the amount of handsets out there they have an impossible mountain to climb to be anywhere near apple/android popularity.
    ...I didn't know that the people who were currently using iOS or Android devices were legally embargoed from switching to BlackBerry 10 devices, if, by their own assessment, BlackBerry 10 offers a superior 'experience'. You are right. Since iOS and Android users will be hauled off to jail by the state and be executed for switching to BB10 from Android or iOS, BlackBerry 10 has no chance at success. Luckily for ME, I was a BB7 device owner, so when I upgraded to my Z10, I was exempt from punitive incarceration and state-sanctioned murder. Whew.

If BB had moved with the times they would not have been in this position now.
    @18seconds
    ubizmo and jrohland like this.
    02-15-13 09:37 AM
    awesome post @lorax1284

As to knowing the other platforms I'll further explain my point. BB can run android as an app. BB has made it extremely easy for iOS developers to port their apps over. BB knows these platforms. They've hired iOS developers. They now have MDM on android and iOS devices.

I wasn't talking about how many devices that were being sold but to those who were, do you think we should go back in time and tell apple and google not to bother trying because Nokia and RIM had a high marketshare?
    02-15-13 11:34 AM