5 Signs From The BlackBerry 10 Launch That BlackBerry Has Become Desperate

Slide 1:

Alicia Keys Is BlackBerry's Mercenary
    At the BlackBerry 10 launch event, CEO Thorsten Heins introduced singer Alicia Keys as the company's new global creative director.

Sure, Keys is a familiar and likable face to hawk your product -- but how has writing "Girl On Fire" prepared her for a creative director role? Adding to the awkward is that she's a prolific Twitter user from her iPhone and Instagram's quite a bit, a program which isn't available on BlackBerry's new operating system yet. She claimed at the event that she'd been lured back into the BlackBerry fold by the new phones.

Slide 2:

A Gimmicky Hair Cut, Less Cracking On CrackBerry.com
    Kevin Michaluk, owner of the premier BlackBerry fansite and blog "CrackBerry" had promised to not cut his hair until the release of BlackBerry 10. Considering there were a few delays along the way, Michaluk had a nice batch of lettuce going. Though a nice gesture of his dedication, the reaction in house was timid. Pageviews for Crackberry.com have seen a steady dip.

Slide 3:

Viral Marketing Fail
    In an effort to build hype for the announcement of BlackBerry's new operating system and phones, the company released this video one day before the launch. The video involved a cable controlled jump with Alec Saunders, BlackBerry's VP of developer relations, and BlackBerry exec Marty Mallick. During the jump Mallick lets out a barely enthusiastic "BlackBerry 10 ruleeesssss!"

The video only had 6,000 views prior to the launch event.

Slide 4:

RIM Is Now.. BlackBerry! But Who Cares?
    During the BlackBerry 10 launch event, it was revealed that Research In Motion or RIM, BlackBerry's creator, would be changing its name to...BlackBerry. More than anything this seems to signal that the BlackBerry is all or nothing for what was formerly RIM -- they have nothing to fall back on.

Slide 5:

Palm Comparisons
    Many Twitter users were quick to point out the launch of BlackBerry 10 to another doomed launch, that of the the Palm Pre for Palm. The company announced the new phone and OS in January 2009, only to be scooped up by Hewlett Packard in April 2010.

---------------------------------------------------

They stretched their "5 reasons" wayyyy too far, I saw stretch marks on my computer screen.
    01-31-13 09:13 PM
    omg wtf is this
    01-31-13 09:16 PM
    Well... what a piece of awfully-orchestrated attack journalism. I'm not even going to bother explaining precisely why each point is severely flawed, this rubbish just isn't worth my time.
    QuickDime likes this.
    01-31-13 09:16 PM
    and this is why I cant wait for BlackBerry to prove all these bashers wrong
    01-31-13 09:20 PM
    Sadly, the first four are all good points. The Palm comparison is old and simply lazy thinking/"journalism".
    01-31-13 09:22 PM
    Sadly, the first four are all good points. The Palm comparison is old and simply lazy thinking/"journalism".
    No, they are not good points. It's rubbish. I actually take it as sarcasm. I think it was a good move to bring in a celebrity, a talented, popular, and beautiful one, to help sell the phone in whatever made up way Blackberry chooses. For most people that is all that is needed to grab their fickle attention.
    01-31-13 09:27 PM
    Can I have my 30 seconds back?
    01-31-13 09:30 PM
    HuffPost Tech Takes 5 Shots at BlackBerry, 1 at CrackBerry/Kevin-grumpy.jpg
    Can I have my 30 seconds back?
    01-31-13 09:36 PM
    Considering there were a few delays along the way, Michaluk had a nice batch of lettuce going. Though a nice gesture of his dedication, the reaction in house was timid. Pageviews for Crackberry.com have seen a steady dip.
    Ok. I refuse to click the link, so I can only go by what's here...
    Am I the only one????
    To me it seems that they are undercover BlackBerry lovers that come here for information or some of the trolls that secretly come here under membership guise.
    How to they know that there has been a "steady dip" in pageviews?
    That is something even us true lovers had no factual idea/proof about until Kevin posted the actual facts here in this thread with this post...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0/#post7891751

Get off our lawn!!!
    01-31-13 09:37 PM
    One word: Garbage.
    01-31-13 09:39 PM
    No, they are not good points. It's rubbish. I actually take it as sarcasm. I think it was a good move to bring in a celebrity, a talented, popular, and beautiful one, to help sell the phone in whatever made up way Blackberry chooses. For most people that is all that is needed to grab their fickle attention.
    celebrity yes, celebrity still using other platforms? no, thats just an own goal.
    i recall we were quick to make fun of a wp event (i forget the celeb in question) where the celeb tweeted a pic of it from their BB. the current situation with alicia keys on twitter/instagram is simply that but for BB. sadly its not `rubbish` its a truth, and it hardly pushes the platform when your celeb aint using it.

As for kevins haircut, thats his own personal choice, but i`ll cover that again in two seconds.

the `viral video fail`, now lets just be 100% clear here. the media really doesnt know what to make of stuff. much like the second music video alec and the dev rel team made purely for developers (the first was at BBJam orlando but wasnt put on youtube due to digital rights or some licensing stuff) they simply dont get that some stuff is to show appreciation for devs or spur devs on, they think everything MUST be a consumer focused ad, when this simply isnt the case with these videos. the media fail to see the difference (like different twitter/youtube channels for a start!) they think the `audience` is the same for everything. and that brings me back to kevin`s hair (which has probably had as more written about it than the Q10!!). I get why he did it, and i applaud him for it, however much like how the dev videos are for devs, that bit was really just for us here at Cb. and as such the media has the same problem as with the videos in that it cant compute what is going on. this means it gets thrown into `what happened at launch event` and everyone talks about it for possibly the wrong reasons. Again good on kevin, but maybe live to everyone watching literally just before thorsten was intoduced was poor timing from the event planners point.

As for slide 4, nothings actually changed, so i dont get why people are writing `who cares` when obviously its done somethiing as everyone cares enough to write about it. bottom line is they are the same company today as they were on the 29th, the change happened a while ago with QNX being purchased and Thorsten taking charge this time last year, the name is (as i think kevin put it) smply housekeeping. its hardly a `freak out` moment.

As for the palm comparison, very different situations, palms issue was massive debts affecting their ability to get hardware out to carriers and thus make a profit. BB has $2bn+ in the bank (they had $2.9bn last earnings but estimated it would be $2.1bn after launch/promo/stock etc was all paid for) so they dont face the same issues that killed palm. Although it would be wrong not to note the mainstream media sentiment towards palm, even as it was clearly failing was overly positive.

As fr the whole pageviews comment, i bet thats chnged just a bit now lol, although it doesnt exactly take a rocket scientist to realise a north american based/oriented (lets be fair international news is waaay outnumbered by US/Canada based stuff, which you`d expect) website would maybe get less views if there are apparently less users in that region.

like i say, not rocket science. however its probably worth noting those who were cb readers probably are still mobile nations readers if theyve moved platform.
    CommanderElvis and spike12 like this.
    01-31-13 09:49 PM
    Ok. I refuse to click the link, so I can only go by what's here...
    Am I the only one????
    To me it seems that they are undercover BlackBerry lovers that come here for information or some of the trolls that secretly come here under membership guise.
    How to they know that there has been a "steady dip" in pageviews?
    That is something even us true lovers had no factual idea/proof about until Kevin posted the actual facts here in this thread with this post...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0/#post7891751

Get off our lawn!!!
    Even if it were true, would that really come as a surprise to anyone? I'm sure a ton of readers came here during the weeks leading up to Jan 30th to try and get the latest scoops. With the official unveiling, the reason for some of the people to visit CrackBerry daily, perhaps hourly, is no longer there.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    01-31-13 09:52 PM
    I think it was a good move to bring in a celebrity, a talented, popular, and beautiful one, to help sell the phone in whatever made up way Blackberry chooses. For most people that is all that is needed to grab their fickle attention.
    Bring her on board for marketing purposes, sure. There are always people who take celebrity endorsements seriously, fine...but don't insult people's intelligence with this "Global Creative Director" thing, either. She's not about to sit in an office in Waterloo plugging away on a daily basis creatively directing anything. It was stupid when the fruit company did it with will.i.am and it's just as stupid now, even moreso because will.i.am is actually a creative who can consult on innovating tech to mash up with music in new ways...as opposed to Ms Keys is a gifted musician who happens to be pretty. I can't type out the words I really want to here, so this will have to do:

If BB wanted to use the power of celeb endorsements they could very well have handpicked 10(I hate giving away marketing ideas for free, but for the sake of discussion), two each from any of various key industries (read: movies/music/sports/tech/corporate/academia/whatever), sign them all up with strict NDAs, and had them all use the Z10 and Q10 for a full month before launch - a proper bloody launch, not this botched nonsense that exists now - and used those video-recorded endorsements in any number of ways. Television spots, YouTube extended versions, whatever.

Instead we have...whatever this is.
    richardat likes this.
    01-31-13 10:52 PM
    That's actually so pathetic it's funny. They're desperately trying to find ways to say "BlackBerry is dead" and they failed miserably, instead looking like a bunch of losers. When Alec Saunders jumping is proof that BlackBerry is dead you're really grasping at straws.

Take it as a good thing
    01-31-13 11:00 PM
    Everyone knows that the Huffington Post is junk anyways. It's like a mix of a tabloid and one of those free newspapers thrown on your lawn that you barely glance at as you walk it out to your trashcans.
    CommanderElvis and bizzyqu like this.
    01-31-13 11:04 PM
    Whatever. Best thing to do is to ignore this type of crap.
    Masahiro and QuickDime like this.
    01-31-13 11:45 PM
    Bring her on board for marketing purposes, sure. There are always people who take celebrity endorsements seriously, fine...but don't insult people's intelligence with this "Global Creative Director" thing, either.
    How is this an insult to your intelligence? Have you sat in meetings in Waterloo or New York to see exactly what they are doing? If you know anything about her, you'd know she is not one afraid of being creative, even to a fault sometimes. She definitely has an eccentric side so Blackberry has chosen her to help with the launch. I don't give a crap if she also uses an iPhone. The very owner of this website does as well and it's not a hidden fact. So what? She is a supporter of Blackberry despite this and this is all potential consumers need to see, some of whom (including myself) own multiple mobile devices from multiple mobile tech companies as well.
    02-01-13 12:06 AM
    Alicia Keys tweeting positive information about BlackBerry 10 to her +11 Million Twitter followers is A-O-K in my book.
    02-01-13 12:10 AM
    How is this an insult to your intelligence? Have you sat in meetings in Waterloo or New York to see exactly what they are doing? If you know anything about her, you'd know she is not one afraid of being creative, even to a fault sometimes. She definitely has an eccentric side so Blackberry has chosen her to help with the launch. I don't give a crap if she also uses an iPhone. The very owner of this website does as well and it's not a hidden fact. So what? She is a supporter of Blackberry despite this and this is all potential consumers need to see, some of whom (including myself) own multiple mobile devices from multiple mobile tech companies as well.

Good luck with that. I like the part where we conveniently focus on one point and gloss over all of the others.
    02-04-13 03:28 PM
    I thought Huffington Post was better than that, I didn't think they were the type of people that would spew nonsense for more page views but apparently I was wrong.
    They have definitely gone down in quality.
    02-04-13 03:38 PM
    besides a thank you and like you button perhaps there should be a junk you button so there is no need to leave a hate message that Huffington clearly deserves
    02-04-13 03:45 PM
    Huff post. Nuff said.
    Although makes me a bit curious about this image I extracted from the BB10 OS:
    HuffPost Tech Takes 5 Shots at BlackBerry, 1 at CrackBerry/Kevin-hp.png
    anon(3896606) and Bobert_123 like this.
    02-04-13 04:08 PM
    I thought Huffington Post was better than that, I didn't think they were the type of people that would spew nonsense for more page views but apparently I was wrong.
    They have definitely gone down in quality.
    Really? In my opinion they have always spewed nonsense. I don't get my tech info from want-to-be journalist. (again, in my opinion).
    02-04-13 06:05 PM
    OP can you wipe hard the link ? You've sorced, you've quoted, you don't need to give this crap Search Engine Exposition ...
    Thank you.
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-04-13 06:07 PM
    This means war!!
    02-04-13 06:10 PM
28 12