MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIF. and FRAMINGHAM, MASS. � March 20, 2012 � Appcelerator�, the leading mobile platform company, and industry leading analyst firm International Data Corporation (IDC), today announced results from a new joint survey of 2,173 Appcelerator developers around the world.

------------------------------------------------

I have cherry picked a couple of the most interesting comments:

The mobile app space to date has been dominated by native apps. However in 2012, HTML5 will move to center stage with both pure mobile browser apps and �hybrid apps,� which integrate both native code and substantial amounts of HTML5.

HTML5 becomes important to many mobile developer strategies. A resounding 79% of mobile developers report that they will integrate HTML5 in their apps in 2012. This is much higher than many industry observers had anticipated as late as Q4 2011.

APPCELERATOR / IDC MOBILE REPORT | Appcelerator
    03-20-12 05:27 AM
    Interesting. Any one know a good site to go to and see a good HTML5 site?
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-20-12 at 10:05 AM.
    03-20-12 09:56 AM
    Here is probably the best movie for example.

And for interaction videos this one is pretty cool.

Sorry. But you asked for a good HTML5 site.

HTML5 is an updated version of a standardized programming language for structuring and presenting content on the web with added functions.

The added functions include things such as scalable vector graphics (Flash-like), audio and video. However, even with these added functions HTML5 is still not a platform.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-20-12 10:58 AM
    So could anyone explain HTML5 to me?
    From what I understand, an HTML5 5 application will be platform independent as HTML5 is a universal standard.
    Does this mine that the same HTML5 apply can work on different OS's without the need to uniquely code it for each platform?
    03-20-12 11:02 AM
    So could anyone explain HTML5 to me?
    From what I understand, an HTML5 5 application will be platform independent as HTML5 is a universal standard.
    Does this mine that the same HTML5 apply can work on different OS's without the need to uniquely code it for each platform?
    HTML5 is a programming language to render content on the world wide web.

Apps that use HTML5 are simply using its added features such as scalable vector fonts/art and its video/audio capabilities.

It is not likely that high quality apps can be built using HTML5 alone since these apps must have access to hardware features of specific devices, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, proximity sensors, ambient light sensors, front/rear cameras, etc. Not to mention API codes for proprietary platforms.

In other words, not much more than re-rendering a website is about the extent an HTML5 only app could do.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    03-20-12 11:28 AM
    It is not likely that high quality apps can be built using HTML5 alone since these apps must have access to hardware features of specific devices, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, proximity sensors, ambient light sensors, front/rear cameras, etc. Not to mention API codes for proprietary platforms.

In other words, not much more than re-rendering a website is about the extent an HTML5 only app could do.
    that is utterly incorrect, all the API's for hardware are either available or being made available. Also WebGL embedded in the browser will taking the apps and games to the whole next level.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-20-12 at 12:03 PM.
    03-20-12 12:01 PM
    What I was getting at is that if an HTML5 apply is made for ios then would it automatically work on Android which is HTML5 enabled? If this happens, the whole apply advantage will be nullified.
    03-20-12 12:10 PM
    HTML5 is an open web standard, It has nothing to do with Apple/Google/RIM etc. Those companies have chosen to embrace HTML5 (much like RIM and Google embraced Flash in their devices).
    03-20-12 01:03 PM
    What I was getting at is that if an HTML5 apply is made for ios then would it automatically work on Android which is HTML5 enabled? If this happens, the whole apply advantage will be nullified.
    yep that is correct and that is one of the risks Apple posses..if HTML5 takes off in a big way then app advantage is a mute point...the only way it way can win is throw money at the developers to develop exclusive apps for iworld only...
    03-20-12 01:06 PM
    one well done site I can think of is, The Boston Globe

see for yourself how well the site/content adapts itself when you minimize the browser to various sizes..try minimizing to a desktop, tablet and smartphone window sizes

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...-pulled-of.php
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-20-12 at 01:11 PM.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-20-12 01:09 PM
    yep that is correct and that is one of the risks Apple posses..if HTML5 takes off in a big way then app advantage is a mute point...the only way it way can win is throw money at the developers to develop exclusive apps for iworld only...
    Please explain how this will hurt Apple.
    Thoughts on Flash that was published back in 2010:

HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.
    For the record, Apple open-sourced WebKit as an effort to battle Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Plus with a huge installed base, developers are flocking to write apps for iOS because they make more money off of paid apps than the free ad-infested ads that Google promotes.
    03-20-12 01:15 PM
    Please explain how this will hurt Apple.
    Thoughts on Flash that was published back in 2010:

For the record, Apple open-sourced WebKit as an effort to battle Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Plus with a huge installed base, developers are flocking to write apps for iOS because they make more money off of paid apps than the free ad-infested ads that Google promotes.

here are the reasons:

1) With HTML5 increasingly evolving and being adopted, content providers are working on developing HTML5 based sites. These applications could be offered to customers using Apple products outside of Apple's app store. It could be a threat to Apple's app store revenues.
    2) Blackberry and Windows Phone ecosystems will massively benefit from moving to HTML5 and they no longer starve for apps and the developers will have one code base and deploy their applications to all platforms. so the apple's app advantage is nullified and if Blackberry or WP7 or Android has the same apps then they would eventually eat into the apple market share.

and you need not be a genius to realize this and it is not 2007 anymore and Apple is not dumb enough to push it's developers to HTML5 now as it will put them at a disadvantage if they did so. Apple for now is just relying on the third HTML5 frameworks like Sancha, phonegap etc and not making a noise about it unlike MSFT , RIM and Google.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-20-12 at 02:18 PM.
    grover5 likes this.
    03-20-12 02:16 PM
    Good info thanks guys.
    03-20-12 09:56 PM
    Try berryreview.com. I have no idea if its html5 but its pretty cool. It almost like an app.

The thing I like about HTML 5 is that its cross platform. Asking developers what platform they are going to develop Apps for provides a pretty obvious answer in the only one that requires to have apps in their closed system. If they are looking to develop using HTML5 their answer would be all of them.
    03-21-12 03:19 AM
    I'm considering using HTML5 to port all my solitaires to Playbook. I will have to test how compatible is Playbook with it and if it's even posibble to do. (HTML5 would allow me to release them on Windows 8 and maybe even iPad too with almost the same source code.)
    03-21-12 05:28 AM
    I'm considering using HTML5 to port all my solitaires to Playbook. I will have to test how compatible is Playbook with it and if it's even posibble to do. (HTML5 would allow me to release them on Windows 8 and maybe even iPad too with almost the same source code.)
    Playbook uses Webkit, Apple's open source renderer that drives Safari. If it works on the Playbook, it will work on the iPad.
    03-21-12 06:16 AM
    PlayBook and OS 5 devices support HTML 5. Yup, OS 5 and BlackBerry is on OS 7.1 now.

Just go pick your tool :
    BlackBerry Developer
    Magnesus likes this.
    03-21-12 06:32 AM
    I hope HTML5 finally takes over the web completely. Tired of "install flash player" being shown on websites. I want to be able to use and navigate websites without having to use the cumbersome flasayer/plugin. I don't like flash apps , wayy too resource hogging.
    03-22-12 02:58 AM
    Webworks look interesting. libGDX - a library I use for my games - had added HTML5 backend, so I will soon be trying to convert my games to Playbook that way.
    03-22-12 03:14 AM
    I hope HTML5 finally takes over the web completely. Tired of "install flash player" being shown on websites. I want to be able to use and navigate websites without having to use the cumbersome flasayer/plugin. I don't like flash apps , wayy too resource hogging.

Flash isnt going anywhere on the desktops. It will actually get more resource intensive when they move more to 3D rendering within the browser itself.
    03-22-12 06:08 AM
    Flash is dying. HTML5 can do webGL now which means flash is usefull only for compatibility with older browsers and playing videos (which HTML5 seems to have problems with still).
    03-22-12 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD