... and yet they make the very form factor that some people here say will be the "magic bullet" that will save BlackBerry...

HTC sales fell off a cliff over the past year

HTC had a 64% drop in /revenue/ year-to-year, the same kind of downward trending as BlackBerry with device revenues.

High-end, full-touch really the way to go?

HTC is lowering costs, sold off property, and hoping their next gen device, HTC 10, which was just released and not realized in the quarter, will turn things around. Sound familiar?

Here's hoping well for HTC... and BlackBerry!
    05-09-16 02:23 PM
    Htc makes solid well built phones. I hope they stay in the business
    05-09-16 02:42 PM
    the HTC 10 is a killer handset. I hope they stay in business too. Hopefully the Vive will be a success.

As for BlackBerry, we have two mid-range phones on the way instead of another "flagship" (which the Priv really wasn't).

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve and Carl Estes like this.
    05-09-16 05:22 PM
    As for BlackBerry, we have two mid-range phones on the way instead of another "flagship" (which the Priv really wasn't).
    So the premise is that BlackBerry has yet to make a true flagship Android phone so they should follow the path of HTC, which has been producing flagship phones year after year?
    05-09-16 05:33 PM
    So the premise is that BlackBerry has yet to make a true flagship Android phone so they should follow the path of HTC, which has been producing flagship phones year after year?
    What? We're on track to release two mid-tier phones this year. Unlike HTC who just released what is probably the best flagship Android on the market right now.

Posted via CB10
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    05-09-16 06:28 PM
    What? We're on track to release two mid-tier phones this year. Unlike HTC who just released what is probably the best flagship Android on the market right now.
    If HTC makes a comeback with the HTC 10, then I would believe creating a new flagship might change fortunes for BlackBerry. As it is now, HTC has been making flagships all along and are in the same state as BlackBerry, declining hardware sales.

At least with mid-tier, BlackBerry can perhaps price the devices reasonably... if they ever get the foresight to do so...
    05-09-16 07:40 PM
    I can't see that investment in VR paying off anytime in the near future... if ever.

Suddenly Blackberry looks pretty good. At least they have the software end to generate some income. Maybe HTC should be making BB's new devices, instead of "me too" high end Android's to compete with Samsung?
    05-09-16 08:34 PM
    The HTC10 is a great device, here in Canada though, only one carrier has it.

Literally less support than Blackberry right now.

You can easily see how important carrier support is, and how it can make or break a phone, no matter how good or bad it might be.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-09-16 08:47 PM
    Looks like Google will be throwing them a lifeline as rumour has it HTC will manufacture then next 2 nexus devices. That might just be their saviour.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-09-16 09:08 PM
    The HTC10 is a great device, here in Canada though, only one carrier has it.
    ...and on top of that, $349/2yr and $899 outright. This is with a Galaxy S7 at $399/2yr and same price outright, with a $125 trade in credit, sitting right next to them.

No idea what they are thinking with that pricing.
    05-09-16 09:37 PM
    At least with mid-tier, BlackBerry can perhaps price the devices reasonably... if they ever get the foresight to do so...
    yes, that's what i'm saying. we're not in the same place as htc this year, we're trying something different.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 10:46 PM
    If HTC makes a comeback with the HTC 10, then I would believe creating a new flagship might change fortunes for BlackBerry. As it is now, HTC has been making flagships all along and are in the same state as BlackBerry, declining hardware sales.

HTC's "flagships" have mostly been flawed devices. They skin Android (becoming less of an issue) and their cameras have been weak compared to Apple and Samsung. They are also expensive.

Problem is Samsung is hard to compete with on hardware, they control many of the supply chains and have caught up with Apple on fit and finish.

The only way to compete with Apple and Samsung is aim for the low end of the market while still offering close to flagship performance. I don't think Blackberry is capable of doing this.
    05-10-16 06:35 AM
    I feel sorry for HTC. Back in the day, they made some of the nicest phones, but they lost their vision along the way... Sounds a bit familiar, but I don't think they'll be out of the business, just look at Sony, they were in a similar position and released a boatload of devices. How they'll fare, that's another matter, but still, they haven't disappeared from the market.

Black Passport
    05-10-16 01:05 PM
    HTC's "flagships" have mostly been flawed devices. They skin Android (becoming less of an issue) and their cameras have been weak compared to Apple and Samsung. They are also expensive.
    This is correct. HTC's biggest weakness with their One phones (M7-M9) has been their cameras. They were raked over the coals on this every year, and still didn't get it right. And having a great camera is more-or-less a requirement on a flagship phone today. Apple, Samsung, and LG have excellent cameras, and unsurprisingly sell lots of phones. HTC has had mediocre cameras and has seen sales plummet.

Yes, the One is also a very large phone - the amazing front-facing stereo speakers do come with a price, which is overall phone size - and that makes them less popular with some folks too. And, like BB, HTC has to be able to make a good profit on every phone they sell, so their prices are high.

But make no mistake: HTC's camera problems are its single biggest Achilles heel.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-10-16 01:31 PM
    This is correct. HTC's biggest weakness with their One phones (M7-M9) has been their cameras. They were raked over the coals on this every year, and still didn't get it right. And having a great camera is more-or-less a requirement on a flagship phone today. Apple, Samsung, and LG have excellent cameras, and unsurprisingly sell lots of phones. HTC has had mediocre cameras and has seen sales plummet.

Yes, the One is also a very large phone - the amazing front-facing stereo speakers do come with a price, which is overall phone size - and that makes them less popular with some folks too. And, like BB, HTC has to be able to make a good profit on every phone they sell, so their prices are high.

But make no mistake: HTC's camera problems are its single biggest Achilles heel.
    It's a FaceBook, Instagram and SnapChat world.... and it's not camera, it's cameras that must perform well. Something I think BlackBerry tried to skimp on (or blames on the body of the PRIV). Too be honest I'm not sure if some would not prefer the front camera to be the better one.
    05-10-16 02:03 PM
    I'll probably be moving to the htc 10 soon

Posted via CB10
    05-10-16 03:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Looks like a really nice phone, and the reviews are pretty good.....

Me I'd like to see with the HTC Nexus phones have to offer. Updates without carrier approval would be the way to go... and if they use an all metal body, then what's not to love.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-10-16 03:36 PM
    Looks like Google will be throwing them a lifeline as rumour has it HTC will manufacture then next 2 nexus devices. That might just be their saviour.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well hopefully it's only a matter of time before BlackBerry gets to make one then, ha.

Seriously though, that would be something I'd like to see: a premium all touch (6P), the budget all touch (5X) and the PKB model. Call it the Nexus 7K and make it a 4:3 Note sized Passport device. Make it pure Android except add support for touch capacitive PKB with shortcuts.
    05-10-16 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    But you're not worried about the company exiting hardware and losing support / future updates? =)
    05-10-16 07:24 PM
    Well hopefully it's only a matter of time before BlackBerry gets to make one then, ha.

Seriously though, that would be something I'd like to see: a premium all touch (6P), the budget all touch (5X) and the PKB model. Call it the Nexus 7K and make it a 4:3 Note sized Passport device. Make it pure Android except add support for touch capacitive PKB with shortcuts.
    That's the problem... PURE Android would mean no BlackBerry "goodies".

Of course the fact that BlackBerry isn't really a manufacture also puts them out of the running for a NEXUS device.
    05-11-16 09:00 AM
    Personally, I just don't think there is anything BB nor HTC can do to really gain sales besides introducing something truly game changing. They can't compete with the marketing that Apple and Samsung have. I think for BB its worse because at the end of the day, you can put a excellent camera in it, killer hardware, amazing speakers and software...and to most the population, its still a BlackBerry and they don't want it
    05-11-16 09:13 AM
    Personally, I just don't think there is anything BB nor HTC can do to really gain sales besides introducing something truly game changing. They can't compete with the marketing that Apple and Samsung have. I think for BB its worse because at the end of the day, you can put a excellent camera in it, killer hardware, amazing speakers and software...and to most the population, its still a BlackBerry and they don't want it
    Almost certainly true. I think just building out their software offerings in various fields is the only long term viable solution. It's not impossible for them to restore the brand, Apple came back from the brink of extinction twice already.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 10:47 AM
    to be fair, the Priv cut a lot of corners. people read reviews and want a phone with more than 2mp in the front camera. They want a gorilla glass rear lens protector, not plastic. they want it released with the current android release.

BlackBerry cut the wrong corners with the Priv. And the name was stupid.

We still haven't seen a truly competitive phone come from BlackBerry, so we don't really know how it will perform against the others.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 12:43 PM
    Almost certainly true. I think just building out their software offerings in various fields is the only long term viable solution. It's not impossible for them to restore the brand, Apple came back from the brink of extinction twice already.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I'm not saying it's totally impossible. I just think that for BlackBerry, it's as close to impossible as u can get. Funny, but sad. Their brand is just so horribly damaged. I can see why they would want to go to a more software based model. There isn't much for them in the consumer market

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 03:21 PM
    to be fair, the Priv cut a lot of corners. people read reviews and want a phone with more than 2mp in the front camera. They want a gorilla glass rear lens protector, not plastic. they want it released with the current android release.

BlackBerry cut the wrong corners with the Priv. And the name was stupid.

We still haven't seen a truly competitive phone come from BlackBerry, so we don't really know how it will perform against the others.

Posted via CB10
    Being completely honest, I think BlackBerry could release a phone with twice the specs as the Galaxy S7 and it would do them absolutely no good. People get on BlackBerry for marketing but I believe while it could help sales a tiny bit, it ultimately would be wasting millions of dollars that could be better invested elsewhere.

BlackBerry has such a bad brand image and at this point it's either Apple or Samsung that people are buying. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

BlackBerry would need something that was truly unlike anything currently on the market to revive their headset business

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-11-16 03:27 PM
46 12