Hi, I'm looking to get a new phone. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Z10 or the HTC one.

I'd love some help deciding and some opinions from people that have one or even both of the phones. Before people start bashing as this is crackberry.. I love blackberry, I own a playbook and a 9700 but I'm open to all brands and smartphones.

At the latest I'll have a new phone in July, that gives the z10 some time to stabilise the os or even a new blackberry may launch . When I get a phone, I look for one that can hold out for a bit.. I'll keep it for at least 3 years :P

I love a lot about both phones, but I won't go into too much detail.. The things that sway me MOST into purchasing one or the other:
    . The HTC has a gorgeous screen! That's what I like about it the most, it also looks very cool

But the blackberry has a good screen, nothing compared to the HTC what I love about the z10 is timeshift, the keyboard and its security. I don't like the idea of apps accessing my info ect. Even if I buy an android phone there's only two apps I'm interested in: netflix and skype. Both of which bb do not have (rather not sideload)

The htc probably has a better camera overall, so its the screen vs security really.

Any tips/reviews on either phone would be much appreciated!

Some arguments that do NOT bother me:
    Apps. I don't use many or any of them really, I stated the only two that I want.
    Premium feeling? Doesn't matter.. Z10 looks classy and has a removable battery. Besides everything has its advantages a plastic back wouldn't break unless you snap it yourself. Doesnt really scratch either

If you've read this far through, thanks so that's what sides me into each phones. I've never had an android but used friends and brothers phone before. As I'm going to have it for at least three years I'm a bit worried the z10 will become very problematic though, I hear android isn't much better for this?

To get a range of opinions I'm also going to post this on the android central. Naturally, I'll get biased views from both sides but its still interesting to read.

Thanks.
    04-17-13 02:51 AM
    Hi, I'm looking to get a new phone. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Z10 or the HTC one.

To get a range of opinions I'm also going to post this on the android central. Naturally, I'll get biased views from both sides but its still interesting to read.

Thanks.
    LOL.... get a Z10.. but then again... you know the answer to it yourself... couldn't possibly win on either side anyway... both phones are great in their own perspective...

but if you ask me, i'll blackberry myself all the way..
    04-17-13 04:10 AM
    I was on the fence as well between these two (down from having to choose between Lumia820, Ativ S, Nexus 4, Xperia Z) and ended up choosing the Z10. Here's a few reasons why:

1) I found the Z10 OS (mostly) smooth (HTC One too) but I can multi task better on the Z10, I found. Coming from Android, I did find I can be more productive on the Z10 as well, as I can reply to emails, FB notifications, and whatsapp quickly through the Hub.

2) Can add SD card for extra storage. This is really huge for me. I can live somewhat with non removable battery (my old Xperia Go had non removable battery but allows SD card) but since the One doesn't have both, the Z10 wins this one no question. But seriously what the heck is up with manufacturers not allowing the very useful feature of battery removal and SD card expansion, it really boggles my mind.

3) I found the ' ultra pixel' camera sharp in low light conditions but just okay in everything else. The Z10 camera isn't the best but it is pretty good if all you need is images good enough for BBM or social media and I also found it to be a better all rounder than the One camera.

4) BBM, push emails, security: 3 things BlackBerry are well known for. Very good as both work and play device with the BlackBerry Balance.

5) I could get it at really special price for an unlocked brand new version compared to full retail price for the One.

Overall I found it to be a better all rounder than the One. The build quality is solid and creak free, the design is slick although the One is clearly much prettier, very nice screen (the One screen is also superior but you won't call the Z10 screen quality mediocre), smooth OS built for multitasking and making you more productive. In other words, it matches me better than the One. But to each his own.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:40 AM
    Just wanna add, even if I had to pay full price for the Z10 I would still gladly choose it over the One but damn it is very close due to the One's gorgeous screen and body.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:45 AM
    From what I can tell from my previous HTC devices is that the hardware seems nice and tempting at first but the more you use it...the more it seems less practical. I had to open up my HTCs and it doesn't look very pretty inside. The components look very cheap and very bad organized. Don't let the full features irritate you when you make the decision to buy the device. One thing I have to credit HTC is that their screens always look stunning. They are always sharp, bright, stunning colors but not fake. Even iPhone screens can't beat it.

Back to the bad things:

1. It can become very if not extremely hot. You know when phones lose signals in summer? It's even hotter than that.
    2. Power/Sleep button on the top is very very bad idea on this phone (all HTC phones). It's hard to reach on everyday use and it gets pushed so easily in your pocket when you sit or bow down to do sth. It wakes or restarts constantly in your pocket which often makes you wonder why the battery dies so much faster.
    3. The square corners make it very uncomfortable to have it in your pocket. Even the Samsung S3 is bigger but it fits very nicely even if you sit or move your legs since the corners are rounded.
    4. The battery...yes the battery. It's never as good as they claim. If you use stock HTC sense on the phones then it's even worse. On the S3 I can get over the day but I have never seen any of my previous HTC phones survive after 4pm. The Z10 battery is not that great either but still more "useable" than that.
    5. The vibration motors in HTC devices are so bad. They are so loud that it's not even funny. When I looked inside the phone I saw that the motor is too big and hold up badly.
    6. The call voice quality is the worst of all. It's too loud and cracky.

Please check all the "practical" things before you dream about all the fancy stuffs you could do or show off with the phone. Have a nice day mate.
    Araslan likes this.
    04-17-13 05:56 AM
    Its a bit silly asking that question on a BlackBerry worshiping website.

Go to the shop and test the devices...the majority here will say Z10 but If I could, I'd have both.

I'm not bashing ...Just saying
    04-17-13 06:05 AM
    I'd get the htc one everyday of the week, its probably going to be phone of the year.
    04-17-13 08:25 AM
    Right now HTC One if your looking for a screaming demon with cutting edge goodies. Better at multimedia

Z10 if you like the way BlackBerry works. Emails, Web, SMS, BBM and security.

I own a Z10 and a PlayBook. I do not play games. But I do stream audio and video. Mostly news related. Disappointed that the z10 does not do more in this area.

Something has to be said for being different too. Unique.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Araslan likes this.
    04-17-13 08:31 AM
    I hear the voice quality on the HTC one was good.

Nothing bothers me about either phones like the fact you can add a sd card slot. I wouldn't use either for music, the HTC has beats and then the bb is well, a bb haha. Besides, I have my 160gb ipod classic .

I like both overall, but the thing that sways me to the HTC is the screen. But the z10 sounds great too, from what I hear, htc isn't great to keep for a long period of time so I'm swaying to the z10
    04-17-13 11:06 AM
    With the HTC, you'd get everything you need out of the box. With the z10 you'd have to wait and trust that skype is coming soon. Netflix is doubtful and since you said you didn't want to sideload, then that's a big thing to consider.

I imagine the messaging and multitasking will be handled better by the z10, but even that would depend on how picky you are about it. I wasn't really that bothered when i had my android (GNex). Can't really tell you about battery life but having a swappable one on the z10 is a big plus to me.

I suggest posting the same thing over at android central to get more arguments for the HTC As you'll mostly get the BB side frome here (obviously). that'll probably help you decide best. (edit-just read that you already did)

Posted via CB10
    waker likes this.
    04-17-13 11:36 AM
    Coming from a GS3:

Z10 screen is superb. Sure, not as good as a 5" 1080P, but not sure how much better you can get. Text is very crisp on the Z10.

Z10 keyboard is amazing, by far better than swype IMO. More of a true touch typist keyboard with great predictive text and auto correct.

Z10 Hub. If you email, text, bbm, etc....having everything in ONE spot where and you can get to it with ONE gesture ALL THE TIME rocks.

Z10 camera - good, not great. If you're going to be printing out pictures taken with your smartphone...then the HTC ONE or Lumia would be better. nothing wrong with the Z10 camera IMO, about on par, maybe better than the GS3.

Multitasking. I used to think multitasking on the GS3 was awesome (it was, and still is...compared to iOS), but the Z10 multitasking is far ahead both in capability and UI.

For me, my GS3 is now a paperweight. I miss Rdio, and Car Ultra Home but at least Rdio is supposed to come to BB10...in the meantime I will use Deezer.

If you haven't used android you could give the HTC One a 'trial' and return it within the 2 weeks (just don't use voice minutes / as a phone).

Why not pick up a used Z10 and try it out...if you need to resell it you wouldn't take much of a hit.

For me HUB + keyboard + multitasking are what makes the BB10 OS/UI. No going back to Android. Aristo (the 5" BB10 to be released by Christmas) will be amazing for those who want the HTC One type specs and the BB10 OS.
    Araslan likes this.
    04-17-13 11:53 AM
    With the HTC, you'd get everything you need out of the box. With the z10 you'd have to wait and trust that skype is coming soon. Netflix is doubtful and since you said you didn't want to sideload, then that's a big thing to consider.

I imagine the messaging and multitasking will be handled better by the z10, but even that would depend on how picky you are about it. I wasn't really that bothered when i had my android (GNex). Can't really tell you about battery life but having a swappable one on the z10 is a big plus to me.

I suggest posting the same thing over at android central to get more arguments for the HTC As you'll mostly get the BB side frome here (obviously). that'll probably help you decide best. (edit-just read that you already did)

Posted via CB10
    Have not yet done so, will do later today. Netflix I'm not too bothered about but skype is a must

@spiller, wow great idea haha, thanks
    04-17-13 12:00 PM
    Blackberry has the best hardware reward ( red dot) and good OS. For me it's the new android (i had android before for almost 4 years) and with new update it's only get better. I did't have any problems so far and no reboot. from With android i had problems with my radio apps en so now and the a rest or just crash from a app.

HTC good brand as well a nice desgin but again android and the new sense is a gimmick. The camera is net so great as de Samsung S4 and the blackberry Camera has a good depth and macro is very good.

The Blackberry is smaller and 4.2 inch and HTC is bigger and i like more comfortable use of a phone. 4 inch is great enough.
    04-17-13 12:07 PM
    Its a bit silly asking that question on a BlackBerry worshiping website.

Go to the shop and test the devices...the majority here will say Z10 but If I could, I'd have both.

I'm not bashing ...Just saying
    Was thinking the same thing.

Bet if he'd asked his question on an Android site, we'd see much different answers.

As to email security, keep in mind that Blackberry OS 10 did away with BIS, so that advantage isn't so marked anymore.
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    04-17-13 02:54 PM
    Blackberry has the best hardware reward ( red dot)
    Another company won the same design award. Yep... HTC. Two devices, IIRC, but you can verify the last piece.

Not to discount your preferences... just a pertinent point. I don't hold the Red Dots in particularly high esteem because of the selection process, but it is an award.
    04-17-13 03:20 PM
    If the Apps are not an issue, I would go Z10. If apps are a big requirement go with HTC One.
    04-17-13 03:24 PM
    HTC One and it is not EVEN close, regardless of what the BBRY fanboys say...

However if you are the adventurous type and don't mind paying a restocking fee should it not meet your needs, try the Z10. OS has a lot of potential and if Android didn't exist I would still have mine (and conversely it will likely have more app support)...
    04-17-13 03:24 PM
    Just wanna add, even if I had to pay full price for the Z10 I would still gladly choose it over the One but damn it is very close due to the One's gorgeous screen and body.

Posted via CB10
    HTC One 64gb $649 off contract
    Z10 16gb $549 off contract
    Z10 16gb + 64gb MSDHC approx $600

Z10 is very overpriced for what you get....
    04-17-13 03:31 PM
    get what ever you want ..............
    04-17-13 03:35 PM
    If your on Verizon I would say the Z10, otherwise HTC.
    04-17-13 04:19 PM
    Again it is all about what you need. The Z10 is suitable for me with its mostly smooth OS, multitasking ability. I did say it was a close call between the One and Z10 for me, mostly the OS, removable battery and SD card expansion that sway the decision towards the Z10 but the One is a really fine smartphone if you don't need above things. I would get both too if I could.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 07:48 PM
    HTC One 64gb $649 off contract
    Z10 16gb $549 off contract
    Z10 16gb + 64gb MSDHC approx $600

Z10 is very overpriced for what you get....
    for me I can swap between a variety of SD card I own a when I travel, I can take pictures with my camera and remove the SD car fr my cam an place it inside the Z10 for viewing and sharing. It is about the versatility too but of course not everyone does this, in whi cas t One may be more suitable.
    04-17-13 08:05 PM
    HTC One looks boring to me. I had the HTC One S, and there isn't much different. More of the same, with a bunch of ridiculous feature names like Zoe, Blinkfeed, and Boomsound. This video pretty much sums up the gimmicks that are afoot.

http://m.cnet.com/news/is-htc-one-la...fying/57579428

Hint to get the video to play... click and hold link, then select open in browser.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    04-17-13 08:14 PM
    HTC One or the Z10?
    it really depends on forum. android central is htc one. crackberry is z10. there is no other way to go around it
    04-17-13 08:21 PM
    Have to admit the screen is just eye candy though

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:22 PM
121 123 ...