I'm with some others on this one.... I purchase my phone as a phone first. If it has a good camera, that's a bonus. I do have an HTC One and I can vouch for the camera taking some great pics. Is it the best out there? No. HTC simply comes at taking pictures from a different angle (pardon the pun) than other companies. It's not better, and I certainly don't think it is worse. The tech they use takes fantastic pictures in low light scenes, and does an 'on par' job with the rest.

Here are some shots I took when out throwing sticks for the dog around an old 150+ yr old storage barn (click the thumbnails to see the true pic). As you can see, stock shots with no filtering or editing do come out nicely. The thread itself contains shots from various One users. Some are great shots, some aren't. Just like any camera (phone or other), a lot of the quality simply comes down to the user being able to take a good pic (the camera itself can only do so much). Like I said, is it better than a Z10, Z30, or any other camera phone? No. Just different tech to get from point A to B. For serious shots, a stand alone SLR is still the best choice. But the ability to pull out a phone (no matter the brand) and take a quality shot is pretty nice.
    02-24-14 11:45 AM
    That's the crux of it.

It really comes down to what toy want. All the mobile eco systems present an excellent enticement - great cameras with some form of ecosystem - and it then ultimately comes down to the consumer to establish what they want from the experience.

Different folks, different strikes

Sent from Tapatalk
    That's not really true...

All OEMs/Platforms don't have the same quality Camera Sensors or Camera Software. They don't all have the same Quality or Quantity of Third-Party Photography or Videography apps.

And unless they're a firm that invest heavily in R&D in that area, the first party apps usually aren't on par with third party apps that focus on this stuff.

I think the choice is easier for a user that has no biases regarding platform choice. In that case they can just choose the hardware/ecosystem that better suite how they use the camera on their device. If biases are present, then it becomes a conundrum.

You may want the best Photography, but not want to use Windows Phone.
    You may want the best Videography, but not want to use an HTC One or LG G2.
    You may want the best Apps, but not want to use an iPhone.
    You may really prefer a Blackberry 10 for non-photo/video things, but then you have to take a hit in the Camera Hardware/Software department.

Preferences regarding platform or form-factor are really the only things that actually make choosing the best camera phone "for you" in this day and age.

And ecosystems are not the same. There are some wild variations between platforms as far as that's concerned (for example no other platform really has anything on par with Mobile iLife, and only Google is close to having something analogous to iCloud Photo/Video Sharing in their services ecosystem).
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    02-24-14 11:58 AM
    I'm with some others on this one.... I purchase my phone as a phone first. If it has a good camera, that's a bonus. I do have an HTC One and I can vouch for the camera taking some great pics. Is it the best out there? No. HTC simply comes at taking pictures from a different angle (pardon the pun) than other companies. It's not better, and I certainly don't think it is worse. The tech they use takes fantastic pictures in low light scenes, and does an 'on par' job with the rest.

Here are some shots I took when out throwing sticks for the dog around an old 150+ yr old storage barn (click the thumbnails to see the true pic). As you can see, stock shots with no filtering or editing do come out nicely. The thread itself contains shots from various One users. Some are great shots, some aren't. Just like any camera (phone or other), a lot of the quality simply comes down to the user being able to take a good pic (the camera itself can only do so much). Like I said, is it better than a Z10, Z30, or any other camera phone? No. Just different tech to get from point A to B. For serious shots, a stand alone SLR is still the best choice. But the ability to pull out a phone (no matter the brand) and take a quality shot is pretty nice.
    I get what you're saying, but if you put HTC one pictures on a computer monitor next to pictures from an iPhone or other Android devices, the pictures are worse - objectively. Yes, the camera brings in more light, but it is at a loss for detail & sharpness in most cases compared to higher resolution cameras. If you're taking burst shots of sports and want to see details that can make a picture that would be completely usable from higher resolution cameras with smaller pixels completely useless when coming out of the One.

This matters, like for when you want to crop a profile picture from a full resolution picture. The resulting crop from the One will often look noticeably worse than the crop from those other, higher resolution cameras (that also have decent camera hardware/software in them).

I think the big issue with the One Camera is that HTC went TOO BIG with the Pixels, a little too wide with the aperture, and a bit too low on the resolution. If the pixels were a bit smaller @ f/2.2 and 5MP resolution it would probably increase the "all-around quality" of the images noticeably. They probably have the fastest cameras outside of Apple and their camera software is good (sometimes a little aggressive on compression, though I don't think the One has that issue), I just think they went "too big" and also "too small" in some key areas.

I actually prefer the One X/DNA camera to the One's. The disparity in sharpness and detail resolution is obvious. Objectively, the pictures are often worse. The question is whether or not it matters to *you.* If you don't care that much about the camera, then there are certainly other reasons to buy the One (and very good reasons - the build is incredible, the screen extremely nice (and not too big), the speakers are ridiculous, and their software is some of the best on Android). If I had stayed on Android, the One was the phone I was going to get - despite my issues with the camera.

Also, while there are some photography faults in that camera, it still does video very well and ticks basically all boxes that I'd ask for, and I'm quite discriminating when it comes to that ;-)
    02-24-14 12:06 PM
    Not sure what phone (other than the superb iphone 5s) does 120fps recording but wow, that is crazy. Amazing even.
    The 5S is the only one that comes with 120fps slo-mo video recording I believe. I think the Galaxy line can do it as well with a certain app but I'm not sure.

EDIT- The LG G Pro 2 (just announced earlier this month) can shoot 120fps and 4k.
    02-24-14 12:39 PM
    That's not really true...

All OEMs/Platforms don't have the same quality Camera Sensors or Camera Software. They don't all have the same Quality or Quantity of Third-Party Photography or Videography apps.

And unless they're a firm that invest heavily in R&D in that area, the first party apps usually aren't on par with third party apps that focus on this stuff.

I think the choice is easier for a user that has no biases regarding platform choice. In that case they can just choose the hardware/ecosystem that better suite how they use the camera on their device. If biases are present, then it becomes a conundrum.

You may want the best Photography, but not want to use Windows Phone.
    You may want the best Videography, but not want to use an HTC One or LG G2.
    You may want the best Apps, but not want to use an iPhone.
    You may really prefer a Blackberry 10 for non-photo/video things, but then you have to take a hit in the Camera Hardware/Software department.

Preferences regarding platform or form-factor are really the only things that actually make choosing the best camera phone "for you" in this day and age.

And ecosystems are not the same. There are some wild variations between platforms as far as that's concerned (for example no other platform really has anything on par with Mobile iLife, and only Google is close to having something analogous to iCloud Photo/Video Sharing in their services ecosystem).

that"s what i meant - you've said far better than I.

Sent from Tapatalk
    02-24-14 02:53 PM
    I hated my HTC One camera - it was the worst phone camera I'd ever had the (dis)pleasure of using.
    02-24-14 03:59 PM
    Glad to see there's others who agree

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 04:05 PM
    The low light pics on the One are outstanding. The front facing camera is pretty good too. The rest is meh.
    02-24-14 09:17 PM
    I heard so many things about the camera of HTC One. I don't own one though. Maybe your friend needs a lesson on taking photo or some settings to be changed? The first few times I took photos of my Q10 they were all Crap and that's cos I didn't fully understand how it works. Now it's all good especially with the focusing.

via Q10
    02-24-14 09:30 PM
    The problem with BlackBerry phones is that (other than Enterprise and security stuff) it does everything okay. But thats it, just okay.
    Camera is just "okay", screen is "okay", battery life is "okay", processor speed is "okay".
    Nothing stands out. People get Lumia because it has a great camera, HTC for great design, LG for great power and screen, Apple for great simplicity and ecosystem, Sony for great design and elegance, BlackBerry for uh...great business? (pretty small segment IMO).
    02-24-14 09:35 PM
    HTC One camera is only better in low light
    02-25-14 03:11 AM
    HTC One Camera was awesome..I have to say. However...I liked the camera on my Q10 WAY BETTER! I always got a better shot!
    02-25-14 08:24 AM
    EXCATLY! FEEL THE SAME WAY!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:35 PM
    HTC One Camera was awesome..I have to say. However...I liked the camera on my Q10 WAY BETTER! I always got a better shot!
    If you're looking at in on a device note that things almost always tend to look better on a smaller screen. C compare image quality on a larger monitor.

Still doesn't change the fact that the One has at best a lackluster camera.

The pixels are too big and the resolution is too low. You can't get any detail on anything that is far from the camera, at least not compared to competing 8-41 my cameras on major OEM flagship devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    02-27-14 12:54 AM
64 123