Source

Looks like everything we said "wasn't 4G" is 4G... ...

So i wonder when ATT will start adversing their network as 4G since some of it is HSAP+.
    Last edited by syb0rg; 12-21-10 at 09:17 AM.
    12-21-10 08:50 AM
    Yeah, I saw that article when it hit the other day and had to smile to myself because I had been in a heated/protracted debate about the upcoming 4G rollout. Many nerds claimed "it's not 4G, you moron!", while I claimed that it's "4G" because that's what it's been designated as, by the carriers, so what are we supposed to refer to it as, despite the technical aspects of the new standard? the techy nerds seem to think that the public should be saddled with an interim designation like 3.1 or 3.5, apparently...quite pedantic, IMO.
    12-21-10 09:05 AM
    None of them are pushing out true 4G speeds though. We are a few years off from that.

ITU capitulates, admits that the term '4G' could apply to LTE, WiMAX, and 'evolved 3G technologies' -- Engadget
    12-21-10 09:45 AM
    I personally think that 4G, in terms of an advertisting standpoint, really doesn't need to be subject to the ITU stipulations. Afterall, the Verizon LTE network is the NEXT generation. What comes after 3? 4. So it doesn't matter if it has the required speeds to be classified in the ITU as 4G, it matters that it's the generation of wireless technology after the 3rd.
    12-21-10 10:54 AM
    Just will all be more confusing to the consumers that don't know this information.....

:shrug
    12-21-10 11:46 AM
    I personally think that 4G, in terms of an advertisting standpoint, really doesn't need to be subject to the ITU stipulations. Afterall, the Verizon LTE network is the NEXT generation. What comes after 3? 4. So it doesn't matter if it has the required speeds to be classified in the ITU as 4G, it matters that it's the generation of wireless technology after the 3rd.
    "Next generation" or not, there is something to be said for TRUTH in advertising.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 03:16 PM
    "Next generation" or not, there is something to be said for TRUTH in advertising.

OK...so what moniker do YOU suggest for the next gen, instead of "4G"? Now don't forget: KISS
    12-21-10 04:02 PM
    OK...so what moniker do YOU suggest for the next gen, instead of "4G"? Now don't forget: KISS
    call it 4A A=almost
    12-21-10 09:59 PM

I think the only company that is intentionally misleading in this is TMobile, since their network isn't any different, just a more powerful version of the same network. The problem is that the majority of consumers don't know the difference and it really doesn't matter too much to them. Eventually TMobile will have to pay the piper in the sense that the HSPA+ technology will max out and they will have to make the jump to LTE, at which point they'll already have been left in the dust by Verizon and probably AT&T.
    12-22-10 01:57 AM
    To most carriers and me, it's 3G, 3.5G.

12-22-10 07:02 AM
    I think the only company that is intentionally misleading in this is TMobile, since their network isn't any different, just a more powerful version of the same network. The problem is that the majority of consumers don't know the difference and it really doesn't matter too much to them. Eventually TMobile will have to pay the piper in the sense that the HSPA+ technology will max out and they will have to make the jump to LTE, at which point they'll already have been left in the dust by Verizon and probably AT&T.
    ATT currently has HSPA+. And they will not be making the jump to LTE. They've already announced they are teaming up with Nokia for LTHSPAE. Which if what is on paper comes true they will be around 650Mbps download. Now even if we see 1/2 that well be faster than Sprint's WiMax or Big Red's LTE.
    12-22-10 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD