How to: Write a biased tech news story

Let's take Apple for instance

Quick Tip!
    Putting issues out of context is GOLDEN.

Secret of the Pros!
    Just write a rainy weather forecast using catchy expressions!

FOR example:

THE END OF APPLE? (Capitalize of course to show its serious)
    By chiefbroski

Apple, after delaying the release of the new iPhone, can't seem to catch a break. After one too many problems(like they always have problems) for the tech giant, the mountain of issues piling up against them makes for a bleak outlook on the future of Apple.
    (eh, see how I used the mountain metaphor? eh, good stuff eh?)

The plague(<--a good word to use) of antenna issues, their primitive and aging(<--ohhh, this word is money!) OS and lackluster(such a burn) phone specs have started to wear on their brand as deterred customers turn to the flashy Android devices of the future(<--compliment competition here and here-->). RIM with the new Blackberry Playbook, with its superior features is now encroaching on their market share of times past. (<---Make them seem irrelevant)

The writing is on the wall.(<--Oh, now its common knowledge) Apple seems to be running in circles as they struggle to keep up with the changing tide. (<--Make them seem confused and flustered)

As if news couldn't get any worse(make it seem like the news was always bad), the delays in getting even a white phone to come out can speak to how their future production of devices will suffer. The initial reviews of the ipad 1 began showing signs of cracks in Apple's skin, showing an empty core that didn't appeal to many. (ooohh, sweet metaphor with the crappy apple.)

Increasing pressure to update their monolithic OS comes as many are criticizing iOS on a tablet in this day and age(<--perfect for making them seem obsolete). With it taking so long to even add a couple of mediocre cameras and the poor pixel density of the screen holds the consensus that Apple doesn't have what it takes to keep up with the fast pace of consumer demand(<--makes them seem incompetent). Android devices are now becoming all the rage and are quickly dominating the mobile world(<--throw in a couple of stark contrasts)

It looks like RIM is also taking a bite out of Apple.(haha, burnnn another metaphor). While interviewing a few IT administrators, some spoke of security issues of Apple's devices. With RIM's death grip(say it like its one of the ten commandments) on the corporate and business world with their celebrated security standards, any effort to push into the sector by apple seems to be met with empty returns (<--no matter what they do, they suck)

Let's not forget about the elephant in the room(<--of course, make it seem everyone knows this issue). With the increasing number of flash websites, which any apple device can't even show properly, the public is even wondering if their devices should be used for internet at all(be bold, very bold, jump to conclusions!). They simply cannot afford to cripple the internet with sites like youtube being one of the most popular website in the world.(<--nobody likes to have something crippled)

Time is running out(<--make it seem like they have to panic). With still billions of dollars in revenue, Apple has a chance to turn things around(<--An effort to look unbiased). In the fast world of consumer technology, the early bird gets all the worms. (<---Finish with a play on an expression to put the nail in the coffin)

chiefbroski
    TheTechBible NEWS

I wrote this to make fun of all the news stories out there that are written to generate "hits" on their website.

I could go on forever, but the fact is, Apple is here to stay for a while, they are selling lots of devices and they are making lots of money for themselves.
    Go RIM! GO APPLE! GO GOOGLE!

I could make it seem like Apple is finished. Haha, It's so easy to use true facts to mislead people. Its propaganda.
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 05-19-11 at 01:53 PM.
    Masahiro, MrObvious, Maine and 8 others like this.
    05-19-11 10:41 AM
    Haha. That's an awesome post. The only thing it's missing is a "Win a FREE IPAD" popup.
    MrObvious likes this.
    05-19-11 10:56 AM
    I'll give you that the headline is overly dramatic, but the rest is absolutely true.

As for, "I could make it seem like Apple is finished. Haha, It's so easy to use true facts to mislead people. Its propaganda."; that makes no sense (and 'true fact' is redundant). Every time Steve Jobs opens his mouth, he uses somewhat questionable interpretations of other offerings in order to mislead people about his own.

Irony is complaining about propaganda and at the same time crying foul if Apple is on the short end of it. Steve Jobs is a master at using facts from 1995 to sell products today. PC vs. Mac ads, remember?
    05-19-11 11:03 AM
    I'll give you that the headline is overly dramatic, but the rest is absolutely true.

As for, "I could make it seem like Apple is finished. Haha, It's so easy to use true facts to mislead people. Its propaganda."; that makes no sense (and 'true fact' is redundant). Every time Steve Jobs opens his mouth, he uses somewhat questionable interpretations of other offerings in order to mislead people about his own.

Irony is complaining about propaganda and at the same time crying foul if Apple is on the short end of it. Steve Jobs is a master at using facts from 1995 to sell products today. PC vs. Mac ads, remember?
    I just replaced "RIM" with "Apple" from another title of a real news story for the title, so as dramatic as it sounds, crazier titles have been published. I'm showing that even the glorious Apple can be made to look like the "faltering RIM" by some serious spin.
    05-19-11 11:14 AM
    That was a Great Post. I enjoyed it completely, and I do think that you're absolutely right. These Tech sites make it sound as if the whole industry hangs by a thread.

Again, this is good work. I look forward to your next post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-11 12:06 PM
    great post, great point.

Analysts forecast for the better part of the year for RIM: the SKY IS FALLING.
    Effect: Investor confidence going down...
    05-19-11 01:33 PM
    Of course, considering that the current lineup of handsets is a good year to two years behind the competition, that RIM has to lower the ASP on their phones, is losing marketshare in all leading markets, and that RIM lost its monopoly in the enterprise, and that you're just as likely to find an iPhone or Android phone as a BB in a business environment these days, maybe there MIGHT be more behind these stories than just "biased writing"?

Analysts and journalists make their living from being accurate. What would their motivation be behind an anti-RIM bias?
    05-19-11 07:25 PM
    Analysts and journalists make their living from being accurate. What would their motivation be behind an anti-RIM bias?
    Investors can make a living from being accurate.

Analysts and journalists tend to put money in all pockets, or none at all. Investing in one company only would show considerable bias and a conflict of interest imho.
    05-19-11 07:30 PM
    RIM has to lower the ASP on their phones
    RIM isn't lowering the price on their devices. The ASP is the Average Selling Price. Note the word "Average". The decline in the ASP is a result of lower end devices like the Curve 8520 (a 2G device) being popular in emerging markets. Markets with no 3G coverage and significantly lower average incomes. The ASP movement results from RIMs growth in markets like LATAM, EMEA and AP, some of which have it as the market leader in the smartphone space.

When uninformed people complain the devices' tech is so two years ago, remember they are also serving markets where the carrier's infrastructure is not capable of handling the latest and greatest tech, and the people cannot afford it.

Analysts make money by making their clients/employers money, or not losing them money. I.E. weigh the risks and provide opinions that tend to weigh on the safer side, like stay away from the company that is showing volatility.

Journalists make money by being read/viewed/the center of attention. Neither of which require the truth. In-fact they achieve these results mostly by fudging facts and generating controversy. In the 24 hour news cycle and with hundreds of part-time armchair bloggers the concept of journalistic integrity is a long gone relic of the past.
    05-19-11 11:12 PM
    Lol, I like it. Before the detrolling it would've gotten more attention.
    05-23-11 09:41 PM
    Yeah...I was hoping that some more people could get a laugh out of it. It could have EASILY gotten more attention if I gave it a catchy title like "THE END OF APPLE?" or "APPLE IS IN TROUBLE" or "FREE BEER" or something that gets people going...

oh well....maybe next time....haha
    05-26-11 07:52 AM
    Yeah...I was hoping that some more people could get a laugh out of it. It could have EASILY gotten more attention if I gave it a catchy title like "THE END OF APPLE?" or "APPLE IS IN TROUBLE" or "FREE BEER" or something that gets people going...

oh well....maybe next time....haha
    End of Apple would get more attention than Free Beer! amazingly enough,

mmmm Beer..
    05-26-11 08:24 AM
    <--Make them seem confused and flustered
    awesome post, but you were looking for flummoxed as the adjective - ultimate article uses their own phrases against them lol
    Last edited by BBThemes; 05-26-11 at 11:45 AM.
    05-26-11 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD