There are a few things that annoy me about active frames. First of all, apps that don't take advantage of them look ugly in the active frame state. I believe the reason for this is the active frame is not the same aspect ratio as the app when running. The text at the bottom of the frame covers up a portion of the minimized app. It just doesn't look clean.

Secondly they absolutely need to be pinable (not a real word) and there also needs to be an option to auto load certain ones when my phone boots up (ie Be Weather, CB, CBC news etc)

And lastly, I would love for them to be TRULY active, like on the PlayBook, where if I minimized a video it would still be playing in its smaller state, yes I understand this isn't exactly necessary but it would definitely be a cool feature to show off to friends.

How would you guys improve them?
    Korepab and pttptppt like this.
    11-29-13 11:21 PM
    When I am on my PlayBook (which was a lot recently, as I bought a book on Kobo and was addicted to it and was unable to put my PlayBook down for over a week), I notice how much I like being able to swipe between apps easily by swiping from right to left or left to right.

I wish this were implemented on BB10 someday.
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    11-29-13 11:32 PM
    All of those things are possible except "pinable frames" (on start up requires 10.2) but developers don't take advantage of it. And from a developer stand point, it's something new/unique to BB10 so most haven't thought up ways to use it. Especially since most users complain they exist and close active frames immediately.

As far as your question... I wish there was a way to interact the frame without reopening the app. Not sure how it would work but could be cool.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 11:33 PM
    Make the active frames truly interactive. Kind of like Jolla. The frames on BB10 are actually the perfect size for such a thing. I thought BlackBerry was going to do this a while back, but it never happened. As you pointed out, there should be a way to pin your favorite frame as well. I would also like for the frames to get a makeover. In their current state, they look a bit too plain. Come on, BlackBerry, make it happen.
    Korepab likes this.
    11-29-13 11:38 PM
    I would also like for the frames to get a makeover. In their current state, they look a bit too plain. Come on, BlackBerry, make it happen.
    Developers can do whatever they want in an active frame (http://m.crackberry.com/weekend-code...rames-your-app). So don't blame BlackBerry on this...

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 11:44 PM
    Developers can do whatever they want in an active frame (http://m.crackberry.com/weekend-code...rames-your-app). So don't blame BlackBerry on this...

Posted via CB10
    Hmm. I see. So, BlackBerry could show off the power of active frames with their native applications such as calendar and the media player. Yet, as far I can tell, I have not seen any of these wonderful things implemented. Would it not make more sense for BlackBerry to show developers how all that works on the device itself? I would love to see this in action, rather than what could be done. In effect, I am still blaming BlackBerry until they lead by example.

Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see anything that showed where the active frames could be used to control the app even in the minimized state. For instance, if the media player is playing a song, it seems like it would make sense for the frame to have a "rewind, play, next track" option therein. Then, rather than using the volume up and down buttons on the side of the device, you could just press those buttons within the frame.
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 11-30-13 at 12:12 AM.
    dbsCabral likes this.
    11-29-13 11:58 PM
    Custom sizes for the active fram

Posted via Q10 10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    11-29-13 11:59 PM

Another good one.
    11-30-13 12:07 AM
    Developers can do whatever they want in an active frame (Weekend Coder: Dynamic active frames for your app | CrackBerry.com). So don't blame BlackBerry on this...

Posted via CB10
    well not even blackberry is doing it with their own apps. They should set an example
    11-30-13 12:11 AM
    well not even blackberry is doing it with their own apps. They should set an example
    Exactly!
    11-30-13 12:12 AM

Yes! Id love to be able to make a big one at the top and smaller ones underneath
    11-30-13 12:21 PM
    1. Long hold on one active frame and then tap another active frame and it then does the two apps split screen. Something like that anyway

2. The user should be able to choose if they want to see active frames when they swipe up out of an app, or the home screen. There should be two options to choose:
    a) swipe up brings you to your home screen. There is still an active frame for what you exited from even though it takes you to the home screen of all your apps.
    b) swipe up brings you to active frames (like currently)

3. Allow video to continue playing on an active frame
    11-30-13 12:42 PM
    1. Long hold on one active frame and then tap another active frame and it then does the two apps split screen. Something like that anyway

2. The user should be able to choose if they want to see active frames when they swipe up out of an app, or the home screen. There should be two options to choose:
    a) swipe up brings you to your home screen. There is still an active frame for what you exited from even though it takes you to the home screen of all your apps.
    b) swipe up brings you to active frames (like currently)

3. Allow video to continue playing on an active frame
    Good ideas
    11-30-13 12:57 PM
    Allow animations, even just some basic ones. Allow interaction. Allow them to be moved, pinned, or mixed in with app icons. Funnily enough, I think Windows phones live tiles make better active frames than BB's active frames, despite how restrictive they are.
    11-30-13 08:14 PM
    Get rid of the lower bar with the x on it. I don't need to know the names of the apps. Double tap fast to kill the app. Or make an x gesture over the frame to kill it. Make it more alive. Add transparency when possible. So now the weather frame can be a big blue cloud with the temperature # next to it with no borders.

Just some thoughts. Got plenty more.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 10:55 PM
    Allow animations, even just some basic ones. Allow interaction. Allow them to be moved, pinned, or mixed in with app icons. Funnily enough, I think Windows phones live tiles make better active frames than BB's active frames, despite how restrictive they are.
    But,wouldn't animations eat battery power?

sent from my galaxy note 3
    12-01-13 02:44 AM
    Winning combo for me would be : customisable size + ability to work as widget.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 02:48 AM
    Sometimes I just want to long press or double tap an app so it can directly on active frame without opening it and stuff.

Also, doing it like the PlayBook where you can see the active frame and still swipe at other page.

Better android than android. The future is black....
    12-01-13 07:59 AM
    But,wouldn't animations eat battery power?

sent from my galaxy note 3
    Possibly, but it would be negligible if handled properly. I'm thinking basic vector animations, nothing complicated.
    12-01-13 08:03 AM
    Interactive, pinnable, swipe to close like on webOS, sizable, like a widget.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:11 AM
    Interactive, pinnable, swipe to close like on webOS, sizable, like a widget.

Posted via CB10
    Even if they made them more like the PB i would be happy i too miss the swipe up to close
    12-01-13 07:40 PM
    Even if they made them more like the PB i would be happy i too miss the swipe up to close
    Hard to implement in a portrait orientation though especially as when you have more than 4 apps running the 2nd grouping of 4 Active Frames is below the 1st main grouping of 4 so you swipe up to see the 2nd grouping below. If would be easy to accidently close an app when you didn't mean to.

Swiping up to close an app was fun on PlayBook and I do miss is but they'd have to move the 2nd grouping of 4 Active Frames to a screen off to the right of the 1st grouping to make it work. Even then it would look a bit odd swiping an Active Frame from the the 2nd row up when it's underneath the 1st row of Active Frames. It would need a nice animation a bit like the way Voice Control is animated to shrink up into the top of the screen when you come out of it, I like the way it does that!

How does iOS7 on iPhone implement it's swipe up to close a running app after double pressing the Home button? I've used an iOS7 iPad but not an iPhone. Is it the same with a horizontal row of running apps to swipe through? Must look very small on a portrait phone screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 07:55 PM
    Hard to implement in a portrait orientation though especially as when you have more than 4 apps running the 2nd grouping of 4 Active Frames is below the 1st main grouping of 4 so you swipe up to see the 2nd grouping below. If would be easy to accidently close an app when you didn't mean to.

Swiping up to close an app was fun on PlayBook and I do miss is but they'd have to move the 2nd grouping of 4 Active Frames to a screen off to the right of the 1st grouping to make it work.

How does iOS7 on iPhone implement it's swipe up to close a running app after double pressing the Home button? I've used an iOS7 iPad but not an iPhone. Is it the same with a horizontal row of running apps to swipe through? Must look very small on a portrait phone screen.

Posted via CB10
    they could have 2 carousels showing 3 apps on top and 3 on the bottom. have the middle ones more prevalent like on the pb.
    12-01-13 07:56 PM
    they could have 2 carousels showing 3 apps on top and 3 on the bottom. have the middle ones more prevalent like on the pb.
    Wouldn't rows of 3 make each one too small? They have to be big enough to be readable or they won't be very Active any more.

I'd like to be able to make two apps open to share the same screen, one above the other in portrait and side by side in landscape, by pressing and holding on an Active Frame and then dragging and dropping it on another.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:11 PM
    Wouldn't rows of 3 make each one too small? They have to be big enough to be readable or they won't be very Active any more.

I'd like to be able to make two apps open to share the same screen, one above the other in portrait and side by side in landscape, by pressing and holding on an Active Frame and then dragging and dropping it on another.

Posted via CB10
    2 rows, top and bottom. 2 carousels that display 3 apps each but the middle ones will be larger. like the playbook but doubled up to take advantage of portrait mode.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    12-01-13 08:13 PM
33 12