I would go back to how it was before smartphones.

I would stop by friends houses unannounced, perhaps bring them food and we shall eat merrily. We would sit in the living room watching TV and who knows, maybe we might actually talk face to face again. At meals with friends, I would no longer have to pretend I'm listening to someone talk to me when I'm really thinking about a conversation with someone via email/text/social network on my BB. Church sermons would actually get my full attention. If I did communicate via phone, my emails and text messages will have a higher frequency of typos. And I wouldn't have to worry about telling people I have a BlackBerry on internet forums/social media hubs and get spammed with a million PINs...

But most of all, I would feel the weird feeling of "something's missing..."
    theegoldenone, MADBRADNYC and dee. like this.
    01-23-13 10:11 AM
    Would be another victim of not keeping up with the times, surely a lose for the tech world.
    01-23-13 10:22 AM
    Then I would be cellphoneless. I would go back to using my computer and landline. Possibly build a fire and send smoke signals, as this method of communication would seem to be slightly more secure than the other platforms. Would be a sad sad day.....
    01-23-13 10:22 AM
    Honestly rimm already failed me and I got an ip5, couldn't be happier with it. Rimms virtually dead anyway, the software on those things is practically from 2005
    The BB10 software is 2012/2013. The iPhone 5 (to use your wording) - the software on those things is practically from 2007.
    Things change.
    Spencerdl and dee. like this.
    01-23-13 10:27 AM
    I would be disappointed and then off to my carrier to see what I or they will replace it with. Tough call since I'm not found of the others.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-23-13 10:28 AM
    The BB10 software is 2012/2013. The iPhone 5 (to use your wording) - the software on those things is practically from 2007.
    Things change.
    Ios 6 was out in 2007?
    01-23-13 10:30 AM
    I'd get the second best mobile phone: Windows Phone 8 and go on about my life. My BB is not a life partner, it is a device. I have the best available. If it is not available, I get the next best available. No biggie.
    01-23-13 10:46 AM
    I'd get the second best mobile phone: Windows Phone 8 and go on about my life. My BB is not a life partner, it is a device. I have the best available. If it is not available, I get the next best available. No biggie.
    +1
    01-23-13 10:47 AM
    Ios 6 was out in 2007?
    No but it's still an update to iOS whatever. BB10 is not old java BBOS. So he is saying iOS based is old. BB10 base is new and different.
    01-23-13 10:52 AM
    Ios 6 was out in 2007?
    No it wasn't, but has iOS really changed since then?
    01-23-13 10:53 AM
    Ios 6 was out in 2007?
    essentially
    MADBRADNYC, Berry_Pink and jesse_h like this.
    01-23-13 10:54 AM
    hi guys i'm doing a project on how people would feel if RIM really goes bankrupt and sell everything and then blackberry disappeared. what would be your reaction how would you feel, how would you communicate it?
    what makes you ask a question on bankruptcy, how about you do a project on bankruptcy and then a project on RIM finances
    and then see whether you still have a reason for the question................but, to save you the hassle, here is your answer:
    there is absolutely no reason to bring this issue up, fe RIM has mountains of cash as we speak and they just developed a new OS,
    without incurring debt, and they are about to launch BB10, all paid for upfront(no debt remember?), so they now all RIM needs to do
    is milk the QNX/BB10 cash cow for what it is worth..........
    01-23-13 11:03 AM
    No it wasn't, but has iOS really changed since then?
    Idk go buy the original iphone released in 2007 and then buy and use the newest and you tell me
    01-23-13 11:04 AM
    what makes you ask a question on bankruptcy, how about you do a project on bankruptcy and then a project on RIM finances
    and then see whether you still have a reason for the question................but, to save you the hassle, here is your answer:
    there is absolutely no reason to bring this issue up, fe RIM has mountains of cash as we speak and they just developed a new OS,
    without incurring debt, and they are about to launch BB10, all paid for upfront(no debt remember?), so they now all RIM needs to do
    is milk the QNX/BB10 cash cow for what it is worth..........
    Wow. Someone really missed the part about this being a class project and this being an hypothetical question. They only asked IF this hypothetical situation happened, how would YOU feel. Geez....
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-23-13 11:13 AM
    Wow. Someone really missed the part about this being a class project and this being an hypothetical question. They only asked IF this hypothetical situation happened, how would YOU feel. Geez....
    i am giving a reality check, is that OK?
    01-23-13 11:24 AM
    Idk go buy the original iphone released in 2007 and then buy and use the newest and you tell me

iOS, which means ALL iOS versions, are Apple UNIX based OS. They are all based on the same UNIX OS that was developed for 2007, every "new" iOS that came after was just an update, not a brand new operating system. This is not speculation nor opinion; it's fact.

BBOS all the way through OS7 is Java. The new BB10 operating system is QNX, completely different.

To draw an analogy. New iterations of iOS are like owning a home and making some remodeling revisions and additions here and there to your home. Going from OS7 to BlackBerry10 is like owning a home, then deciding to move into a new home that was designed and built from the ground up.

Big difference when comparing which OS is new and old...
    01-23-13 11:34 AM
    hi guys i'm doing a project on how people would feel if RIM really goes bankrupt and sell everything and then blackberry disappeared. what would be your reaction how would you feel, how would you communicate it?
    I've got two different reasons why I need BB to continue in the market.

At work, I manage the wireleless fleet contract and the BES admins. Since I work in IT and IT related contracting, BB and BES provide a level of security, monitoring, and accountability that is not found elsewhere, on any other platform. For the protection of our firewalls and our data, nothing out there today beats BB. So for me there would be serious work repercussions.

Personally, for my private use, I need BB because of BBM. I have one loved one who will not use any other IM client. For him, I need BBM. So there would be a personal impact.

I am currently using an SGIII as my daily driver. However, I intend to get a Z10. But I want RIM to recover and regain a position of relevance in the market. For the reasons I stated above but also because one less platform is one less driver of innovation.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-23-13 11:42 AM
    i am giving a reality check, is that OK?
    No it's not OK. They didn't ask for reality. They basically asked "if pigs grew wings and started to fly, would you still eat bacon?"

Reality:
    Will pigs fly? More than likely not.
    Will RIM go bankrupt? More than likely not.

Class project :
    Would you still eat bacon if pigs flew? Heck yeah and can't wait to taste the new pork wings deep fried.
    How would you feel if RIM went bankrupt? Sad

See how easy that was.
    pillswoj and jesse_h like this.
    01-23-13 11:44 AM
    Ios 6 was out in 2007?
    No, but was BBOS7 out in 2005?
    01-23-13 05:20 PM
    I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably keep using my 9900 until it died. I'd then probably get an iPhone, just because I have a Mac Book and an iPod touch, and the Photo Stream thing is kind of convenient, and totally makes up for the otherwise glaringly basic iOS.

The iPhone isn't special to me. I can't tell one Android apart from the next. For selfish reasons, I hope RIM stays in one piece and we can look back on threads like this and laugh at how we even entertained the idea of a life without Research In Motion.
    dee. likes this.
    01-23-13 06:50 PM
    I'd be pretty disappointed, there just isn't a phone manufacturer out there with a comparable emphasis on communication. My most likely move would be to an Android phone, probably one of the high-end Samsung's. I've tried my friend's GS3 out before, and it's honestly a pretty good phone. Although I'd get used to it, for the first while I'm sure I'd have that sinking feeling that this just isn't a BlackBerry.

Having said all that, I am absolutely certain that BlackBerry is here to stay. BB10 is genuinely good, and the guys at RIM really seem to have everything figured out this time around, thanks no doubt to Thorsten Heins' leadership. And if Apple doesn't get off their asses and start innovating again with the iPhone, I have a sneaking suspicion RIM is going to take 2nd place in the smartphone market right from under their noses.
    01-23-13 06:59 PM
    Lost

ledgjtggrttjh (it aid my post was too short)
    01-23-13 07:00 PM
    It would be interesting to see which OS take its place. I wouldn't be heart broken over it though (goes for any company). I'm not emotionally attached to corporations (it's not like they give a rat's gluteus maximus about us). Side note the curve 8330 is one of my favorite pieces of tech.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-23-13 07:11 PM
    Would suck as less competition isn't a good thing.

I would be content on Android. Have been over a year now.

Just miss certain things a BB does.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    01-23-13 07:19 PM
    Truly, if blackberry dissapeared, I will miss a smartphone with email and true multitasking handling. Miss the smartphone which giving free fully function docs app. Miss the phone which integrated all contacts from various resources (simcard, gmail and Exchange contacts sync, and social media (facebook, twitter, linkedin, and foursquare).

None can match blackberry for business purposes. Even Note II can make equal foe this capabilities.
    01-23-13 07:25 PM
52 123