Assume you are on VZNav or Garmin for BB. I think both use cell network to download maps and voice instructions. So, what would be the expected behavior if you drive to a place with no coverage ?

Also, does Blackberry maps comes preinstalled ? What I mean is , is it downloaded live or is it stored in memory ?

Thanks
    06-29-09 03:05 AM
    My understanding is both vznav and garmin need the cell connection to download maps on the go as no maps are stored on the phone. So I believe it eould not work @ all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 06:05 AM
    I have used the sprint navigator and maps extensively, which is great since its bundled in the data package and not an extra fee.

It is however oriented totally towards driving and location based services so a cell connection is needed for the maps as the other posters indicate.. i would have wished for a lat/long simple gps screen when off network..that would be nice.
    06-29-09 07:10 AM
    Assume you are on VZNav or Garmin for BB. I think both use cell network to download maps and voice instructions. So, what would be the expected behavior if you drive to a place with no coverage ?

Also, does Blackberry maps comes preinstalled ? What I mean is , is it downloaded live or is it stored in memory ?

Thanks
    As far as GPS working with no cell coverage, I don't think that it does but I'm not 100% certain of that. In regards to your question about BB maps it gets loaded on the device with the os. However you can download 3rd party software if you choose, such as google maps (www.google.com/gmm)

06-29-09 07:17 AM
    As far as GPS working with no cell coverage, I don't think that it does but I'm not 100% certain of that. In regards to your question about BB maps it gets loaded on the device with the os. However you can download 3rd party software if you choose, such as google maps (Google Mobile | Maps for your phone)

So is the tour GPS going to be unlocked like the Storm's
    06-29-09 07:26 AM
    That's the consensus. But I don't know for sure. Sorry.

06-29-09 07:31 AM
    That's the consensus. But I don't know for sure. Sorry.

Sounds Good. Thanks!
    06-29-09 07:34 AM
    I have used ATT Navigator for directions and driven out of cell coverage. I was using turn by turn. If I remember correctly navigator announces you are out of network coverage, you loose the scrolling map but it continues to do turn by turn with simple graphics.

06-29-09 07:39 AM
    I got to say I have the 8330 and google maps works for me. Maybe they unlocked the gps.

06-29-09 07:39 AM
    Yes, it will. You will have full access to GPS, while aGPS is still locked down to VZ nav and bb maps only.
    06-29-09 08:10 AM
    There's nothing special about the Tour. If you have a CDMA Blackberry now and have used GPS on it and experienced data loss, the Tour will behave in the very same way.
    06-29-09 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD