Hello!

Im having a BB Bold 9000 and would like to use my sim card with a normal mobile phone contract. I dont have any extra package for the internet and only looking to use wifi @home and some public places.

How can i make sure that my provider is not accessing the internet when i only want to use free-wifi???

I called my provider who cant disable this function

if anyone got an idea how to disable providers access on the BB i would be glad to hear from u.

Thx a lot
    09-27-09 07:42 AM
    You will need to have the service books installed that are associated with the WiFi service (there are 2 on mine). Some BBs come with them, some do not. It is carrier specific.

You will have to use apps that can use WiFi. The browser is one. Google apps usually use the data connection and do not work on WiFi only. I do not know if there is a list of these types of apps. Anything that requires the RIM servers (email and messenger) will not work without a BB data plan.
    09-27-09 08:09 AM
    yo, thx for ur reply...

Where do I get these service books??? I bought the blackberry directly and so far im not having a contract (provider) for that.

At the moment I got all kinds of apps on my BB like msn, yahoo, BB messenger, google maps, skype (only chat) etc...

So either its using the wifi or they deduct the traffic on my monthly bill (which i try to avoid)

Is there a way to set a password maybe???

Cheers
    09-27-09 02:31 PM
    well I know windows live messenger doesn't work over wifi, and I don't you'll be able to use BBM
    09-27-09 03:22 PM
    be real. stop frontin. hahaha
    09-27-09 03:27 PM
    Service books are pushed out from the carrier through a BIS or BES data plan.

Also search for threads on what works on wifi and what doesn't.
    09-27-09 05:00 PM
    you can download a free browser that works on wifi.
    opera mini. you can download it over the air. or to your pc first then to your bb thru the usb cable.

opera mini is free. free to download. free to use. i'm using it now. as i don't hava data plan yet.
    09-27-09 05:37 PM
    I don't get it... why buy such an expensive phone if you don't use it as such? Why not just buy a cheap netbook? Seems like a waste to me...
    Plus we all know that internet is not the Blackberry's strong feature.
    09-27-09 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD