I use the passport in four languages. English, French, German and Hungarian.
    English works well, but all the rest is a difficult task for me type. The auto correction is a hit and miss, typing accented chars is super slow (I type now without accents, as a simple � needs about a second to type in).
    Changing languages is also very slow, as only three can be selected at a time, as I need to add back and forth the fourth one.

So please give ny tips, suggestions, wall re welcome on how to type non-English languages fast and easy.

Or just share your feelings, ideas.

Will there be devices with localised keyboards (accents etc.)?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:20 PM
    Interesting question, as I am considering a Passport and will be using it primarily for Czech, so efficient typing of accented characters is a must.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:23 PM
    I used for some time the autocorrection to enter the accents, it does well, but not all the time, so one or two words ended up without accents in my sentences. In the end I turned it off, as it was very disturbing. So I type without accents, but the last time I did this was in the nineties.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:27 PM
    I use mine in English and French, two languages not 4, but it works amazingly good. Accents are showing up right away and I can switch languages easily even In the same sentence. I switched phone partly because of blackberry's language capabilities. I mostly never type accents myself, but I find it a pain on the few times I had to do it.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 11:09 PM
    Hi,
    Do you type in french with a qwerty, Qwertz or azerty keyboard ?
    I want to buy a passport but I don't know which keyboard is the most efficient for French. I don't know if the software is different if you have a different keyboard...I mean for the prediction or with the virtual keyboard

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 01:50 AM
    Interesting question.

Yes, those �cc�nts and "�ml�uts" break the flow a little... :-)

(^ just a demo, don't worry!)

�   "BBAndr10d Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-28-15 03:59 AM
    I use my Z30 (and occasionally my Q5 and Classic) to also type in Japanese and Korean. Word prediction across all devices is sometimes hit-or-miss, but especially with Japanese you can extend the list of available predictions due to the nature of Japan's written languages. So, even typing on a physical keyboard device is fairly efficient. I'm definitely looking to get a Passport, so if typing Japanese and Korean on it is no different than a Q5 or Classic, I'll be happy.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 07:43 AM
    I use my Z30 and Z10 on Spanish and English I love spell correction. It helps me avoid going backwards to check and correct every word I write. It evens help me use accents on Spanish words that I have forgotten it uses accents. Compared to my wife GS5 and my son's iP5 it's a spelling bee.

Posted from the all mighty Z30 10.3.2.2339
    07-28-15 04:26 PM
    I use my Z30 and Z10 on Spanish and English I love spell correction. It helps me avoid going backwards to check and correct every word I write. It evens help me use accents on Spanish words that I have forgotten it uses accents. Compared to my wife GS5 and my son's iP5 it's a spelling bee.

Posted from the all mighty Z30 10.3.2.2339
    Good to know. Comparison delight.
    Thanks for the info... :-)

�   "BBAndr10d Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-28-15 04:35 PM
    I am using English and Greek. Accents in Greek is a pain for me even in my pc, word predictions and auto correction in my Passport makes really a good job.
    Frankly I prefer to write in Greek from my phone than from my pc, it's much faster.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-28-15 05:51 PM
    I write in English, Spanish and Japanese. English and Spanish can be alternated with minimal hassle, also word prediction and word flipping increase typing speed considerably. Now, with Japanese word flipping doesn't work and prediction is not that accurate. Also it uses a Chinese typeface for japanese that although readable gives the text a strange feeling. The saving grace is that after few months the Passport learned the most used sentences so the incidences of typos in Japanese is low now. One tip for increasing speed could be to turn word auto correction off, IMO.
    Waiting for an OS update with a proper Japanese font (as BlackBerry is not present in Japan anymore it is going to be a long wait) :-(

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    07-28-15 06:18 PM
    I write in English, Spanish and Japanese. English and Spanish can be alternated with minimal hassle, also word prediction and word flipping increase typing speed considerably. Now, with Japanese word flipping doesn't work and prediction is not that accurate. Also it uses a Chinese typeface for japanese that although readable gives the text a strange feeling. The saving grace is that after few months the Passport learned the most used sentences so the incidences of typos in Japanese is low now. One tip for increasing speed could be to turn word auto correction off, IMO.
    Waiting for an OS update with a proper Japanese font (as BlackBerry is not present in Japan anymore it is going to be a long wait) :-(

By "Japanese word flipping," do you mean that flicking on the Passport doesn't work with Japanese? And how does the Japanese font look strange? On my Z30 it looks identical to every bit of Japanese writing I see every day, and one of my coworkers here said it looks no different, as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:19 PM
    By "Japanese word flipping," do you mean that flicking on the Passport doesn't work with Japanese? And how does the Japanese font look strange? On my Z30 it looks identical to every bit of Japanese writing I see every day, and one of my coworkers here said it looks no different, as well.

Posted via CB10
    Correct, by flipping I should have wrote flicking. Thanks for the observation. Now regarding the font, some kanjis have strokes that do not look like the standard japanese font. The interesting thing is that the difference Is visible while typing but when the email/message is sent then no difference is noticeable.

07-28-15 09:48 PM