How can I tell if my BB 9700 AT&T is cloned? It would be for snooping purposes so I can't tell by the bill or call activity. Is there a way to tell or do I have to bring it someplace?

Thanks,

E
    04-02-10 12:18 AM
    Why is this idea even in your head?
    04-02-10 12:47 AM
    Wow, you're in CT...I just left there last weekend. I moved to SoCal 15 years ago. From West Hartford and Farmington.

I have a strong suspicion that somebody, whom used to work for a cell phone company, may have cloned my phone to get information for a significant other.
    04-02-10 12:59 AM
    Wow!!! Is it my imagination or are a lot of posts beginning to sound like a spook manual?!?

OP - what activity is leading you to believe that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 04:40 AM
    Why are you both asking me questions that do not lead to the answer I am seeking?

I have reason to believe that my phone may be cloned for the purpose of finding out information by reading messages and stuff like that.

I am simply asking if there is a way that I can check something in the phone or in any way find out if it is in fact cloned.
    04-02-10 04:46 AM
    Tinfoil for the win.
    04-02-10 06:10 AM
    Tinfoil for the win.
    ahahahahahaha that is classic humor

to the OP, simple solution, be honest and upfront about everything you do, everywhere you go, and just be a honest person and stop trying to hide stuff...

There is no way to clone a blackberry, there are IMEI/ESN numbers along with PIN numbers assigned by RIM to each phone. It is IMPOSSIBLE to clone a Blackberry.

04-02-10 07:25 AM
    Why are people on these forums so rude? Damn just answer the question without being a smart.

Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-02-10 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Profanity x3
    04-02-10 08:50 AM
    Why are people on these forums so rude? Damn just answer the question without being a smart.

pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot

and i did answer the question.

04-02-10 08:51 AM
    You're worried that somebody at a cellular store may have cloned your phone in order for your s/o to snoop at what your doing?

Ok, I'm gonna help you out. I know how you can figure out if it's being cloned for your s/o.

Have some woman send you provocative photos and texts that say thanks for last night. Be sure she includes lots of X's and O's.

If your s/o breaks up with you tomorrow, it was being cloned.
    04-02-10 10:17 AM
    On a more serious note, if the phone really is being cloned, and cloned properly, then no you have no way of knowing. Your best bet would be to have your carrier do a warranty swap (i do not condone this) to get the software off.

Now if it's your service that you think is being cloned, well you average store rep can't do that. **** not even a level one tech rep has the ability. I'm not saying they aren't smart enough, they just do not have access to do that.
    04-02-10 10:19 AM
    If you are on a BES the admins can access to your call logs, SMS messages, BBM messages, browser history, etc...
    04-02-10 11:14 AM
    On a more serious note, if the phone really is being cloned, and cloned properly, then no you have no way of knowing. Your best bet would be to have your carrier do a warranty swap (i do not condone this) to get the software off.

Now if it's your service that you think is being cloned, well you average store rep can't do that. **** not even a level one tech rep has the ability. I'm not saying they aren't smart enough, they just do not have access to do that.
    why not use BBSAK to completely remove everything including the OS off of the phone?!?!?!

04-02-10 11:16 AM
    why not use BBSAK to completely remove everything including the OS off of the phone?!?!?!

Meh, that could work. Doesn't it still create a backup file and reload it onto your blackberry?

If it does, then it's possible that some sort of snooper app could transfer over a hidden service book and automatically redownload.

I'm talking high tech stuff here, but it is possible.

For all practical purposes, I see no reason that wouldn't work.
    04-02-10 11:52 AM
    Anyone can make a backup of your phone and restore it to another phone and copy contents of the media card. Bottom line wipe and reload if you feel the need. Then don't let others handle your phone.
    04-02-10 12:17 PM
    Anyone can make a backup of your phone and restore it to another phone and copy contents of the media card. Bottom line wipe and reload if you feel the need. Then don't let others handle your phone.
    a back up and media card, a clone does not make

Backing up the device and restoring it onto another phone would do nothing other than transfer your current messages, contacts, settings, etc over to the other device.
    04-02-10 12:20 PM
    ahahahahahaha that is classic humor

to the OP, simple solution, be honest and upfront about everything you do, everywhere you go, and just be a honest person and stop trying to hide stuff...

There is no way to clone a blackberry, there are IMEI/ESN numbers along with PIN numbers assigned by RIM to each phone. It is IMPOSSIBLE to clone a Blackberry.

Wrong.

04-02-10 05:41 PM

Well the answer is simple, because cloning has nothing to do with software or OS's

04-02-10 05:44 PM
    April fools joke gone wrong?
    04-02-10 06:34 PM
    I don't let anyone else handle my phone for this very reason.
    04-02-10 07:22 PM
    I've noticed a lot of posts like this. It would be waaaay to much work, infact I would say it's almost impossible. Everyone just needs to relax. No one is spying on you.

04-03-10 12:07 PM
    Well the answer is simple, because cloning has nothing to do with software or OS's

Actually, true cloning has nothing to do with the phone at all.
    04-03-10 02:53 PM
    04-03-10 02:53 PM
    Why are you both asking me questions that do not lead to the answer I am seeking?

I have reason to believe that my phone may be cloned for the purpose of finding out information by reading messages and stuff like that.

I am simply asking if there is a way that I can check something in the phone or in any way find out if it is in fact cloned.
    Although you've been insulted, made fun/ a fool of, questioned as to whether you're an honest individual and then rudely instructed to live your life as a honest person, and have probably since decided this forum is filled with losers who are probably angry at their families and have no lives... I will try to put your mind at ease, Brancieri.
    Cloning your berry is possible, however it would glean the cloner not much. One of the devices would be shut down. There is a member on here called Sith_Apprentice who I know for a fact has cloned his berry. You can PM him if you are certain someone has cloned your phone and he can put your mind at ease. I highly doubt your berry has been cloned, but you never know. There is spyware software that would get your information from your phone. Someone would have to have physical access to your phone to install such software and the software can transmit everything to the listener: phone calls, data, texts, everything. It can even be set to use your phone's microphone to listen in on the room your phone is in. Thus turning your phone into a bug. In this case, a full wipe of the device is your cure.
    Google "cloning a blackberry" and "blackberry spyware" you will learn a lot and I'm sure it will ease your worries.
    It's a shame you felt you had to clarify yourself and expose your personal reasons for asking a technical question. Good luck

04-03-10 03:27 PM
    ok im not sure if this has been done before, but isn't it true that no 2 IMEI alike can get registered or work on the same carrier?
    04-03-10 05:22 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD