Sorry for another noob question and I will slowly get through all the tips on here so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

My Browser setting is currently set to Hotspot which means that when at home, the phone is connected via my WiFi (home router) and I can connect to the internet.

I tried connecting at work today (no WiFi) and the handset wouldn't connect.

I assumed that if there was no WiFi then the phone would automatically default to the next available connection ie GPRS or EDGE, but seems Im wrong.

Any help with the correct setting if this is possible or do i have to change it maually everytime ?
    03-04-09 07:01 AM
    I don't know if it's right or not, but I leave my browser set to "Internet Browser" all the time now. That way if you are at home or work where they have Wifi it will use that connection.
    03-04-09 08:56 AM
    I might b wrong here, but I noticed that u NEED to be set to "hotspot" for it to use Wifi. "Internet" grabs only GPRS/Edge/3g.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'm in same boat, switching between the two modes all the time depending in where I am, it's annoying.
    03-04-09 09:23 AM
    I might b wrong here, but I noticed that u NEED to be set to "hotspot" for it to use Wifi. "Internet" grabs only GPRS/Edge/3g.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'm in same boat, switching between the two modes all the time depending in where I am, it's annoying.
    This is correct.

It should tell you in the bar at the top of the screen in the browser what protocol it's using to connect. If you don't see this bar, hit the "U" button.

If it says "EDGE" then you are connected through the edge network and using data on your plan. If it says Wi-Fi then you are connected through your router and are not using your plan data.

You can set which protocol your browser uses in the Options > General Preferences menu. Set it to "Internet Browser" to use EDGE, or to "Hotspot Browser" to use Wi-Fi.
    03-04-09 10:06 AM
    So it seems that we have to manually switch the connection preference between GPRS / EDGE and WiFi each time
    03-04-09 01:57 PM
    Yes, you do have to switch it depending on what you want to do at that time.
    03-04-09 02:02 PM
    Thanks Aristile, and thank you for the links, they are proving helpful in my new journey.
    03-04-09 02:18 PM
    You are very welcome, enjoy!
    03-04-09 02:21 PM
    Can this be done just by switching WiFi on or off instead of changing the Browser type?

For example, I have both the Mobile Network and WiFi turned on and I'm browsing the internet, would it automatically search for a WiFi connection first?
    03-05-09 04:08 AM
    Can this be done just by switching WiFi on or off instead of changing the Browser type?

For example, I have both the Mobile Network and WiFi turned on and I'm browsing the internet, would it automatically search for a WiFi connection first?
    I have mine set to 'internet browser', and it prioritises wifi over EDGE/GPRS. Both radios turned on,obviously. I thought this was the norm?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 09:19 AM
    No it won't switch on its own. If it's set to Hotspot Browser and isn't receiving a Wi-Fi signal, it won;t load the page, whether you're connected on EDGE or not. You have to manually switch it to Internet Browser to surf over EDGE again.
    03-05-09 10:43 AM
    Yeah,as I said,this isn't the case for me..
    I never adjust my settings from 'Internet Browser' at all. When swithching on wifi and then opening browser I am connected by wifi (and shown the wifi connection status in the info bar).
    If I then close the browser,switch off wifi and reopen browser I am connected via either EDGE or GPRS depending on signal.
    Mobile network connection remains on the entire time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GenusRubus; 03-05-09 at 11:26 AM.
    03-05-09 10:59 AM
    With mine set to "Internet Browser" on home screen, my Wi-Fi network name is tagged with my service provider, so I'm guessing that when set to "Internet Browser" it first looks for Wi-Fi network and if no joy, uses "Internet Browser".
    07-06-10 03:11 AM
    I wonder if Aerize WiFiX can force the browser to switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS?
    07-07-10 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD