I have an 8830 with a Freedom GPS puck. I do quite a lot of hiking, biking and cross-country skiing. The 8830-puck combination is quite sensitive and hiking/skiing in steep terrain has been very accurately tracked. Actually, the freedom seems to pick up satellites through my shingled roof when on the second floor.

I know it is early but I was wondering how well the Tour's gps functions in the great out-of-doors and also where NO cell/data service is available (I used gps-logger which does not need data to track, only to send the logs after the fact). Anybody find it can detect satellites in single family homes (I know it won't in office structures).

Thanks in advance
    07-13-09 07:41 PM
    Mine didn't even work outside. I downloaded a golf course app and it couldn't find my gps signal. I tried like 5 times. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 08:16 PM
    Mine didn't even work outside. I downloaded a golf course app and it couldn't find my gps signal. I tried like 5 times. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Make sure your GPS is turned on and not set to E911 only.

Its sensitive enough to give turn by turn directions lol mine pins we within a few meters of where I am

07-13-09 08:20 PM
    Yea I've got it set as gps turned on.

07-13-09 08:24 PM
    Yea I've got it set as gps turned on.

Odd. Maybe you are out of range of the gps satellites. Does it work with anything else? Or is the tour gps your only problem?

07-13-09 08:26 PM
    My geocaching gps which was like 600 bucks can find a
    Satellite in my house. Its a weak signal but I can find a signal.

07-13-09 10:12 PM
    My geocaching gps which was like 600 bucks can find a
    Satellite in my house. Its a weak signal but I can find a signal.

well if youre expensive purpose built GPS can only find a weak signal i wouldnt hold much hope for a phone gps lol. Where do you live? I know when i go camping in the mountains my GPS loses signal sometimes too, nothing i can do about it.
    07-13-09 10:18 PM
    My expensive gps is extreemly accurate. Just not inside. I live in cincinnati.

Last edited by cturtleemmers; 07-14-09 at 08:37 AM.
    07-14-09 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD