Hi,

I was curious, my understanding of syncing an exchange server with BES is that in some manner, all the emails go through the Rim somehow (at some point in the transfer).

How secure is that? Is it likely that those emails are accessible by people at Rim or the Govt?

THanks,
    Rich
    10-31-09 10:43 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server

All mail going from the BES server to your device is AES encrypted. It's secure enough for the government to use, and most Fortune 50 companies.
    10-31-09 10:47 PM
    My data is really not important. I was just thinking that if it does at some point get routed through a central rim server that the data might be accessible by a govt agency, in terms of national security.

While I guess there could be a magic key to unlock any MS exchange server the main problem with that is there are so many different exchange servers out there, it would logistically be hard to get to them all.

Assuming all RIM servers filter down to Rim itself, it would seem to me if there is a decrypter out there for govt use, it would be easy to leave a message 'sniffer' to filter out words & those emails get redirected for further study.

Is there any possiblity of something like that?

Thanks,
    Rich
    10-31-09 11:13 PM
    as long as you have your aluminum-foil hat, you'll be fine.

seriously, there is no safer phone on the planet. if you are that worried about your emails being read by the government, dont send emails that have those "key words" in them.
    10-31-09 11:20 PM
    The government limits the encryption key length in commercial encryption systems so it can break the encryption if needed. But with the volume of email traffic, unless you do something to call attention to yourself, you can probably discuss criminal acts without being noticed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 11:30 PM
    Even if they don't use RIM's systems to spy on you, they can just wait for it to exit their servers and head onto the public internet to reach its destination. BES encrypts between the phone and BES server, not between phone and what its destination may be.

11-01-09 12:35 AM
    the goverment can get your info and anything they want

ANYTHING, EVERYTHING, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!

we are in a hightech world now so everything is out there now
    11-01-09 12:43 AM

That's true. The only problem is there's so many of us to be watched
    Seriously, all email provider have to keep a copy of all your received or sent emails. There's no hiding

11-01-09 04:14 AM
    Even if they don't use RIM's systems to spy on you, they can just wait for it to exit their servers and head onto the public internet to reach its destination. BES encrypts between the phone and BES server, not between phone and what its destination may be.

All Blackberry traffic going over blackberry.net is encrypted end to end. There are no weak points. Each link is as strong as the others.

This is NOT true if you leave blackberry.net and start using browsers such as BOLT or Opera-Mini.
    11-01-09 04:50 AM

This is true but it takes time, effort and money to do this. So they mostly do not bother unless they think they have a reason to look.

The Pakistani and Indian Governments had such difficulty cracking blaclberry,net and known criminal (northern Pakistan, next to Afganistan, yeah) that they switched off all blackberry.net traffic for a while until they got in. RIM then just changed the key.

BlackBerrys are very secure. There is no known way to get into a password locked BlackBerry.

As JeffH siad, there is a limit to how much (how secure) you can make a non-goventment encryption algorithm and key, so if they REALLY want in, they can get in.
    11-01-09 04:57 AM
    My stuff is really not that exciting. Its just I dont like the idea of making it so easy check. I guess its a good point that its probably more secure internally at RIM then once its on the net itself.
    11-01-09 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD