Summer is here, US teenagers will have lots of free time for themselves to twit, post, Facebook, Instagram whatever they like to talk about...

How BBRY can burn some of their $3B cash reserve efficiently and sale through to this group, make their IPHONE/S3 carrying parents feeling out again, build up their future client bases and start a new trend in this market?

This thread is dedicated to this brilliant idea fostered long ago on the forum. Please post your thoughts on:

1. Why is/isn't this a good idea?

2. How to do it more efficiently?

For 2, I am going to throw in a few names: Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift... get them?
    Acumenight likes this.
    06-30-13 06:08 PM
    Reopened at request of OP.
    Last edited by Kris Simundson; 06-30-13 at 07:25 PM.
    06-30-13 06:12 PM
    Summer is here, US teenagers will have lots of free time for themselves to twit, post, Facebook, Instagram whatever they like to talk about...

How BBRY can burn some of their $3B cash reserve efficiently and sale through to this group, make their IPHONE/S3 carrying parents feeling out again, build up their future client bases and start a new trend in this market?

This thread is dedicated to this brilliant idea fostered long ago on the forum. Please post your thoughts on:

1. Why is/isn't this a good idea?

2. How to do it more efficiently?

For 2, I am going to throw in a few names: Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift... get them?
    Anybody else better than Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus???

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:22 PM
    Reopened at request of OP.
    Thanks Kris! I thought this was a fantastic idea and saw it popped up in the forum quite a few times but no serious attention was given therefore no serious follow-ups. Hopefully this topic can gain some momentum and enter BBRY's view.

I actually met a BB rep and a Bell rep in a Costco store today and had some "passionate" discussion with them. This idea came in halfway and they both loved it. It was clearly new to them but they had no difficulty to see the benefits and senses behind it.

Before I brought this idea up, the BB rep was quite defensive about their marketing strategy in US and contribute the failure of their campaigns to the challenges they were facing: people just keep walking when they see anything BlackBerry. Then I brought up this idea as an example of creative ways to break into a market that has turned its back to BlackBerry.

It all made sense to them: teenage youth don't have a bad history with BlackBerry, they are curious to new things, they are passionate to cool things, when they begin to spread words, the words floods the internet, they can influence their parents in mobile technology better than any commercials, tech bloggers, or sales person etc....as I said, it all makes perfect sense.

Of course, it's not that easy, hopefully crackberrians can chip in and perfect this idea, not only bringing in the attention it deserves, but also the follow-up ideas that make it more feasible... BBRY's style are more "professional" than "creative", they need help.
    06-30-13 08:24 PM
    Anybody else better than Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus???

Posted via CB10
    Honestly don't know, hopefully not Kardashians
    06-30-13 08:25 PM
    I like the idea of getting the teenagers interested, but Bieber, Miley and the K's all have some reputation problems, in spite of their enormous popularity.

It would be great to get in at the beginning of a new star's career... maybe by sponsoring a season of a show like the Voice or American Idol.

For existing stars, maybe Selena Gomez.
    06-30-13 09:25 PM
    I said this before and I think it bears repeating. Celebrity endorsements are very tricky and have to have some relative balance.

Cyrus, the Kardashians and the ever annoying Bieber may bring in the youth but alienate adults, people averse to "Hollywood types" etc. Older celebrities run the risk of reinforcing the BackBerry as "grandads phone"

The trick is finding celebrities with little baggage AND cross culture appeal.
    06-30-13 09:45 PM
    Justin Timberlake!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 09:53 PM
    i feel like it's only in the US that has problems with BBRY sales....i go over seas a lot, i also have family in Lebanon. I'm 22 years old and when i'm in lebanon all teenagers to adults have BlackBerry devices, even if they have an iPhone they have a blackberry as a second phone because they all talk to eachother on BBM, it's HUGE over there. the way you pick up girls is to throw them your BBM and start talking to them, lol my cousin told me this (he's 20) and i tried it out and wined up hooking up with quite a few chicks from some of the clubs we own out there hahaha....the US defiantly needs to step their game up 125% !!! i feel that once BBM is released for Android and iPhone the sales for BlackBerry devices will go up because people will see how fricken AWESOME BlackBerries are!!!
    Djlatino likes this.
    06-30-13 10:52 PM
    Thanks Kris! I thought this was a fantastic idea and saw it popped up in the forum quite a few times but no serious attention was given therefore no serious follow-ups. Hopefully this topic can gain some momentum and enter BBRY's view.

I actually met a BB rep and a Bell rep in a Costco store today and had some "passionate" discussion with them. This idea came in halfway and they both loved it. It was clearly new to them but they had no difficulty to see the benefits and senses behind it.

Before I brought this idea up, the BB rep was quite defensive about their marketing strategy in US and contribute the failure of their campaigns to the challenges they were facing: people just keep walking when they see anything BlackBerry. Then I brought up this idea as an example of creative ways to break into a market that has turned its back to BlackBerry.

It all made sense to them: teenage youth don't have a bad history with BlackBerry, they are curious to new things, they are passionate to cool things, when they begin to spread words, the words floods the internet, they can influence their parents in mobile technology better than any commercials, tech bloggers, or sales person etc....as I said, it all makes perfect sense.

Of course, it's not that easy, hopefully crackberrians can chip in and perfect this idea, not only bringing in the attention it deserves, but also the follow-up ideas that make it more feasible... BBRY's style are more "professional" than "creative", they need help.
    Only thing you got wrong is that teenagers that I went to high school with all have a terrible history with blackberry. Three years ago when I was in high school everyone had a blackberry, but once the iPhone 4 came out that ruined it. I was one of the few that stuck it out with blackberry. Almost every teenager/college kids i know now has an iphone/samsung just because of the terrible history they had with their blackberries. BlackBerry has some work to do if they wanna win back this target market

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    06-30-13 11:03 PM
    i also forgot to add, i live in New York and have Cablevision, iO, and i still haven't even seen ONE commercial yet on the new BB10 OS and Phones.....they really need to step up their advertisement
    06-30-13 11:11 PM
    Teens are interested in 2 things, doing what's cool and getting laid.

Everyone has iPhones. Especially girls. iPhone=iMessage=more texting=better chance of getting laid

One thing that still baffles me is how people on CB think that celebs using certain devices will influence what us teens will choose. We choose what everyone else has, and if we wanna be different (pay attention here BB), we want our "different" to be able to do whatever everyone elses has + more. My friend uses tumblr all the time on her iPhone and when she got a z10 that wasn't available (trapeze sucks, it can die along with all html5 "apps" in the BlackBerry World). I got her to side load it but my god that **** was laggier then a hacked lobby on mw2. Next day, iPhone 5.

Want teenagers to buy your device? FIX YOUR APP GAP AND DO IT FAST. I don't care if devs don't want to, PAY THEM TO DEVELOP. None of these BS needing to sideload. That's such a deal breaker. And stop making your apps so god damn expensive.

Do what MS is doing. And I know quite a few with windows phones who are optimistic because they're getting the apps everyone has (including instagram).

Luckily I'm getting an iPod touch and using my z10 as a hotspot this summer with my summer job monies so apps will no longer be a concern. I think that's what people here should do. Get an iPod while still have the great BB10 in their pocket. iPods are lighter then my deoderant stick so it's like it's not even there.
    eBud and Roo Zilla like this.
    06-30-13 11:14 PM
    Since hearing about the Q5 and its color options I think this phone will grab the teen market, as long as it's priced adequately and has the right apps. If I was 16 and could get a hot pink phone I would. Pre iphone many kids has BBs because it was a cool smartphone and I think they can do that same image again with these Q5s.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 01:42 AM
    YES. Color options are sooooooo important! And that could be huge for BB on one of their lower tiered phones. Seriously, huge.
    07-01-13 01:50 AM

Everyone has iPhones. Especially girls. iPhone=iMessage=more texting=better chance of getting laid

One thing that still baffles me is how people on CB think that celebs using certain devices will influence what us teens will choose. We choose what everyone else has, and if we wanna be different (pay attention here BB), we want our "different" to be able to do whatever everyone elses has + more. My friend uses tumblr all the time on her iPhone and when she got a z10 that wasn't available (trapeze sucks, it can die along with all html5 "apps" in the BlackBerry World). I got her to side load it but my god that **** was laggier then a hacked lobby on mw2. Next day, iPhone 5.

Want teenagers to buy your device? FIX YOUR APP GAP AND DO IT FAST. I don't care if devs don't want to, PAY THEM TO DEVELOP. None of these BS needing to sideload. That's such a deal breaker. And stop making your apps so god damn expensive.

Do what MS is doing. And I know quite a few with windows phones who are optimistic because they're getting the apps everyone has (including instagram).

Luckily I'm getting an iPod touch and using my z10 as a hotspot this summer with my summer job monies so apps will no longer be a concern. I think that's what people here should do. Get an iPod while still have the great BB10 in their pocket. iPods are lighter then my deoderant stick so it's like it's not even there.
    This.

I think iMessage has just about reached critical mass in terms of teenage messaging, with Facebook messaging being second.

I do still see teenagers in phone stores with their parents, asking about blackberry, so there must be some subgroup of them that use it.

BlackBerry Messenger is still quite a bit better than iMessage and Facebook except for one factor: most of the people you know are on iMessage or Facebook and not BlackBerry Messenger these days.

The other problem is that there is no reason to choose blackberry over iPhone if you are a teenager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-01-13 02:02 AM
    I like the idea of getting the teenagers interested, but Bieber, Miley and the K's all have some reputation problems, in spite of their enormous popularity.

It would be great to get in at the beginning of a new star's career... maybe by sponsoring a season of a show like the Voice or American Idol.

For existing stars, maybe Selena Gomez.
    I think you are right; Selena Gomez does not have those problems (that I am aware of any way).

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 02:05 AM
    One thing that still baffles me is how people on CB think that celebs using certain devices will influence what us teens will choose.
    What if BBRY pays Selena Gomez to make a series of fun YouTube videos to showcase the cool features of BB10 OS?

Of course, BBRY has to somehow showcase this phone to her and get her in love with the phone first. If she has the genuine passion and excitement towards the phone and use it as daily driver, the video will go viral.

The contrary example is Alicia Keys, who has no passion towards BBRY and everything is just business... i know why BBRY pick her first, because she is big, busy, positive, and has a huge following in professionals or business men. But professional adults are usually the least likely being influenced by celebrities on tech choices. They are more easily influenced by their kids, and kids are more easily influenced by celebrities.

Not saying kids will use what celebrities use, but kids definitely spends more time following what celebrities do or say...

Think about how we pick up an incoming call on Z10, pretty cool, isn't it? But nobody knows that feature... now thinking about Selena Gomez picks up every phone calls in her vlogs like that... kids will be asking: what phone is that? that's pretty cool!

Now thinking about Selena Gomez uses a pink Q5 once for a while....
    07-01-13 08:22 AM
    It is pretty simple.
    1. They come up with some new fashionable app game that is really easy and can be shared with friends (BBM).
    2. They put "gifts" and other stuff associated with snack food and drinks. So you have to buy the drink or snack to unlock things in the game.
    3. They pay a few young actors to endorse the game and show that it is only on BlackBerry.
    4. In the endorsement, they mention how "cool", "hip", "death", "bad" or whatever the current hip word is and that anyone not having it is a "loser", "square", "dork" or whatever the opposite of being hip word.

Probably cost around $100-200 million for the app and advertisements.
    Kids believe almost everything they see on televisions and are easily hooked on fads.
    07-01-13 08:42 AM
    I work in a retail store and do not live or work near "well to do" areas, and do you know what I see flying off the shelf the most (bought or stolen)? Straight Talk Android phones that cost between $80-$120. I always find myself grabbing a glance at what people are carrying when walking around with their phones out, and sure, I'll see the occasional Galaxy or iPhone in some blingy case, but I see those cheap Droids amongst the younger ones the most often.

I submit that it's not necessarily pop idols that would help BB appeal to the younger ones, but decent looking and decent functioning devices for dirt cheap. Aside from just teens, it would likely be a real benefit to everyone if BB would attack the prepaid market with multiple device options.
    Geeoff likes this.
    07-01-13 09:02 AM
    They need a great song for a music video that can showcase the Z10 and Q10. Teenagers who love BlackBerry, love music, BBM, texting, etc.
    07-01-13 11:20 AM
    What if BBRY pays Selena Gomez to make a series of fun YouTube videos to showcase the cool features of BB10 OS?

Of course, BBRY has to somehow showcase this phone to her and get her in love with the phone first. If she has the genuine passion and excitement towards the phone and use it as daily driver, the video will go viral.

The contrary example is Alicia Keys, who has no passion towards BBRY and everything is just business... i know why BBRY pick her first, because she is big, busy, positive, and has a huge following in professionals or business men. But professional adults are usually the least likely being influenced by celebrities on tech choices. They are more easily influenced by their kids, and kids are more easily influenced by celebrities.

Not saying kids will use what celebrities use, but kids definitely spends more time following what celebrities do or say...

Think about how we pick up an incoming call on Z10, pretty cool, isn't it? But nobody knows that feature... now thinking about Selena Gomez picks up every phone calls in her vlogs like that... kids will be asking: what phone is that? that's pretty cool!

Now thinking about Selena Gomez uses a pink Q5 once for a while....
    Just think about it like this, if Eminem used a blackberry, do you think teens would care? See like I said, it would get them interested but probably wouldn't go any further then that because of how accommodated they are.

You guys gotta remember, people are switching to iPhone because everyone else has it, not because it's an interesting product.
    Roo Zilla and Bo_bo like this.
    07-01-13 02:29 PM
    Do teenagers care about Eminen?

Posted using the Diva's Z
    07-01-13 03:22 PM
    I think some celeb endorsements would help the rep of BlackBerry. But that can't be the crutch. I remember seeing Diplo on 2 diff(kinda) commercials for BlackBerry. One for the 9900 and one for the 9800, if I'm not mistaken. Those ads did little for the company's rep as far as I can tell.

I don't know exactly how they could execute successfully a celeb endorsement.... but couldn't hurt if done right.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 03:33 PM

I tend to agree with you on all points, my niece who is young and had always had her trusty Blackberry and has since moved on to Android and a Galaxy S3. I told her the new Blackberry z10 & Q10 was out and it was a real nice device with some major improvements over her old BB curve she once had and her reply was "None of my friends use Blackberry Anymore". She then proceeded to tell me she has no more BBM contacts left and all her friends now use Facebook to communicate socially instead of BBM.

I was shocked when she told me that and she had no intrest in Blackberry anymore and she wanted to add that when she did look at the new BB z10, it didn't have the apps available that she has come to use for her daily task on her Android phone and there was no way she is going to switch to a device that her in terms has a "LAME APP STORE".

This is the typical response I have got from the young folks here in the USA when I talk about Blackberry to any of them. All their friends are using either iPhones and/or some sort of Android device so thats the platforms they now feel comfortable using. I sure as hell hope someone at Blackberry is reading these post, especially the ones in charge????
    07-01-13 03:38 PM
    Justin Bieber is already a BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    07-01-13 03:39 PM
90 123 ...