Just curious about how easy it is to wipe out the device, restore settings etc, and a bit weary since the last phone i bought off ebay was defective(palm).
    01-03-09 09:28 PM
    Very easy to wipe device and restore settings. Heck you can search these forums and get all the information you need to do anything that might come up.
    01-03-09 09:32 PM
    I sold my 8120 on ebay with no problems. Go to the RIM website and search for selling / buying a used blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 09:35 PM
    Unfortunately on CDMA devices you run the extra problem of possibly having the ESN reported stolen or blocked due to an outstanding bill.
    01-03-09 09:36 PM
    You should always scrutinize the sellers feedback,check that they have a return policy so if there is a issue it can be sent back,you should buy from a private owner and not refurb seller,at least with a private sale,your buying from at least the fir
    st owner,when your dealing with refurbs,you don't know how many owners it has had before ot got to you,good luck.

01-03-09 11:34 PM
    Yes its easy and safe. If done correctly and if you get insur on it and you got it cheap enuff its way worth the chance.

Coach B's keys to buying BB's on EbAy......

1). Make sure the phone is for and can be used on your provider = cdma/gsm/world editon/ ect.

2). Check the sellers backgroud very well, like his feedback,how many transactions he has completed, how long he has been a seller. Powrseller? Ect.

3. New NIB / Reconditioned / REC or REFURB or used and what condition

PS is the photo a stock photo or acctual photo of device

4). Is the price listed with or w/out contract

5). To double check 1,3&4 you get the ESN and call the provider and have them verify the info.

6). MAKE sure you use paypal to pay for the transaction. As there is some protection for you when using this service to checkout. You can file a dispute, mediation ect. It just help to protect you against fraud.

01-04-09 02:21 AM
    A friend bought a used 8330 from a local person. Verizon will not activate it for my friend, because the previous owner is $280 behind in paying his Verizon bill. VZ won't activate the ESN, until the bill is paid.

I recommend you get the ESN and contact your carrier, before paying for it!
    01-04-09 12:29 PM
    I have never bought a phone off of Ebay but I can tell you we've had some threads on here about people getting scammed on certain CDMA devices.
    01-04-09 12:32 PM
    I bought my first BB from eBay. As long as you do your research and make payment via PP or some other monitored/guaranteed service, you should be okay. My first was an older 8700c that I bought just to see if I would like the blackberry and not only did it work well, but it resurrected itself after what was by all measures a catastrophic event. The thing should be dead, but it just keeps on going. It convinced me to buy my Curve and I have no regrets. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

01-04-09 02:09 PM
    thanks everyone!
    01-04-09 03:33 PM
    Personally I prefer craigslist. I bought my Curve from craigs and very happy with it.

I prefer it over Ebay because your dealing with people locally and can look over the phone before paying for it.
    01-09-09 08:54 PM
    Check out Used Cell Phones. Discount Prices, No Contracts from the world's leading used cell phone retailer. on the internet. I recently bought a used Pearl from him. He's also on eBay. Great service and accurate descriptions on what you are getting and with a guarantee if the phone is defective, he'll replace it.
    01-10-09 12:03 AM
    Or you could always try the Crackberry Marketplace!

I bought my 8820 on ebay just recently. It was slightly used, but you can hardly tell that. Aside from some IT policy problems due to a lingering IT policy (which was removed with the advice of the awesome gurus here), I had no major issues.
    01-10-09 01:03 AM
    You need to make your own risk assessment from what you can see about the seller.

If you search the reports in CB discussions, buying from a private seller on eBay or Craigslist is slightly less safe than buying from someone you just met in the pub or on a street corner. There is a significant risk you will get ripped off with a stolen phone, but there are many genuine sellers and real bargains too.
    01-10-09 05:59 AM
    From where I sit, if I were buying a refurb I would stick to a carrier
    refurb. At least that way I know the refurb was done properly.

AT&T's idea of refurb is a whole lot different than Pookey Ray and
    T-Bone's idea of refurb.

AT&T - Check all circuitry and function. Replace complete housing

Pookey Ray & T-Bone - hit dat beyotch wit some Windex and
    ship it.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-10-09 at 06:31 AM.
    01-10-09 06:25 AM
    Ok i think I am about to buy a new Blackberry Curve from eBay. But i have one concern and it is that the guy i want to buy the Curve from is a first time seller. But he dd give me the esn number and i called verizon and it was clean and it wasnt on the lost or stolen list. Do you think i should trust him?

Here is the link:

Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330 - eBay (item 320332754131 end time Jan-22-09 12:56:40 PST)
    01-19-09 09:09 PM
    Personally I prefer craigslist. I bought my Curve from craigs and very happy with it.

I prefer it over Ebay because your dealing with people locally and can look over the phone before paying for it.
    I would prefer to purchase a phone from Ebay from craiglist for a few reasons.

1. More protection in the event of a fraudulent transaction or a bad ESN#. On this note, I recommend you to always obtain the ESN # BEFORE you buy. Don't fall for sellers who state they will only give you the ESN # after you purchase.

2. As someone who works in law enforcement, I am concerned about purchasing a phone that has been used in illegal activity, such as transmitting text messages or emails in furtherance of illegal transactions or other criminal activity.

If you buy such a phone, you never know when the police will show up at your door to question you about the use of the phone. If you purchased from Ebay and you received the ESN # from the seller, there will be a solid record of your purchase of the specfic phone and you should easily be able to prove that you purchased the phone AFTER it was used in furtherance of a crime. On the other hand, if you purchased from craigslist, the paper trail regarding your sale is not as strong as the Ebay paper trail. How are you going to pin down the person you bought the phone from off craigslist. You shouldn't assume he will tell the truth if the above scenario develops.
    04-11-09 06:22 PM
    We purchased my husband's bb off ebay and have been very happy. No problems. I think you would have more options of resolving issues if you go through ebay.

04-11-09 06:30 PM
    Should not be a problem. Just have to make sure the ESN is clean. Ask for it before purchasing, and call your provider to make sure its clean.
    04-11-09 06:45 PM
    I live in NJ and wouldn't trust craigslist if it were the last online auction on Earth. Nothing but scum bags on there, infected with scams. Infact, I just read in the local paper that there's these guys on CL listing iphones for sale, then "jumping" the people who come to purchase it. Nice place. Stick with ebay and paypal. At least you won't have to bring a .357 when you click the checkout button. This is from North Jersey Local News, Sports, Classifieds, Jobs, Better Living - NorthJersey.com

A 17-year-old Clifton resident who arranged to meet a man who posted a Craigslist ad for an iPhone was attacked and robbed outside a Clifton school Tuesday night.

The teenager told police the man who posed as an online “seller” punched him in the face and took $220 that he planned to use to buy the phone, police Capt. Robert Rowan said.

*“You have to be very careful with making these transactions,” Rowan cautioned. “A lot of them may be legit, but it does present an opportunity for criminals to prey on victims.”

The teenager had arranged to meet the would-be seller outside of School 16 on Grove Street around 8 p.m. Tuesday night, Rowan said.

Rowan gave the following account: The juvenile, who rode his bicycle to the school, told police a light-colored vehicle with three occupants pulled up. One of the passengers got out and asked for the money, but the juvenile asked to see the iPhone. The man said he would show him the phone, but they had to go around to the back of the school. The juvenile became suspicious and hopped on his bike in an attempt to leave. The two other occupants inside the car got out and surrounded the juvenile. The would-be seller punched him in the face, knocking him off his bike. The attackers took from the teenager $220 and a gold chain with a Pope John Paul II medallion. The men fled in the vehicle, Rowan said.

The victim went home after the robbery and called police. He did not go to the hospital.

Users of Craigslist, where people advertise everything from sporting event tickets to apartment rentals, are urged to meet sellers in public places with plenty of people around, Rowan said.

“Meeting at a school parking lot at 8 o’clock at night when there’s no one around, you’re vulnerable,” he said. “He’s lucky [the robber] didn’t take his bike, too.”

Rowan said parents should monitor their kids’ use of the Web because some criminals prey on children.

Police said assaults and robberies stemming from Craigslist are not particularly common.

But last month, a Clifton woman told police she was burglarized and sexually assaulted by three men who tracked her from a personal ad she posted on Craigslist. Police believe the 19-year-old woman was forced to perform a sex act. Two men were arrested in the incident.

In February, West Milford police arrested and charged a 56-year-old woman who was accused of posting ads for erotic services on Craigslist. She was busted after an undercover cop set up a meeting at her house, where she offered to engage in a sexual act for money.

Park Ridge police Lt. Joseph Rampolla, a cyber crime investigator, said prostitution and fraud are the most common issues with the site.

His advice is that Internet users, regardless of their age, think twice about meeting strangers they’ve contacted through the Web. Juveniles should not meet with anyone they’ve contacted on the Internet and adults should take every possible precaution.

“You just don’t know who you are meeting,” Rampolla said, noting last month’s killing of New York radio reporter George Weber, who was stabbed to death allegedly by a 16-year-old male he met on Craigslist.

“It’s really dangerous,” Rampolla said. “I don’t care what kind of deal you get. It’s not worth it.”

The Passaic County Sheriff’s Department started its Internet Crime Unit four years ago to tackle child predators, but over the years it has encountered increasing property crimes, said spokesman Bill Maer. He said identity theft, bullying and fraud are constantly occurring in cyberspace.

What happened in Clifton with the iPhone could happen to anyone, Maer said.

“You could be set up,” he said. “No good deal in the world is worth the potential of getting hurt.

04-11-09 08:28 PM
    just purchased a tour off of ebay for a friend so i will let you know how it goes
    12-16-09 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD