How RIM is steering BlackBerry toward QNX | Mobile Devices | ZDNet UK

By this it is evident that RIM is playing the game very safe by bringing the key pieces of the puzzle with surgical precision. Voice, email, messaging/communications, security, multitasking and multi-media are the key modules that are very important to any mobile OS and which usually takes a longer time to develop and test. RIM is planning it intelligently solving 3 important things of the puzzle namely OS multitasking, multimedia, and internet with playbook and next they are bringing on the other key ingredients which made the Blackberry a success namely email, voice and security. Some may argue why not native PIM apps in C/C++ but there are some key things which RIM cannot risk like proven secured communications, onboard encryption of data(no other platform today provides this feature), data compression, enterprise (BES/BIS) backward compatibility, timelines etc. As Jim B pointed out that transition is the place where companies are doomed and the major lesson learnt from all the failures is that those companies failed to maintain continuity/back compatibility of their old OS like in the case of Palm or now WP7(no enterprise compatibility at all).

What this means is that QNX OS on phones is a given for BB World 2012. Playbook is providing RIM a early platform to test the waters, take user feedback, and more importantly confidence by gaining user and developer interest.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 05-14-11 at 10:46 AM.
    05-14-11 09:06 AM
    Why do we need Playbook, QNX, or any of this "multimedia experience" bs at all? If I want to "browse," I use my laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 09:42 AM
    Why do we need Playbook, QNX, or any of this "multimedia experience" bs at all? If I want to "browse," I use my laptop.

You mean like how you used your phone to post that comment? Why didn't you just do it from your laptop?

What a useless comment.

05-14-11 09:46 AM
    You mean like how you used your phone to post that comment? Why didn't you just do it from your laptop?

What a useless comment.

I said if I want to BROWSE I use my laptop. I certainly didn't need "flash" or QNX to post a comment on a message board using WAP.

05-14-11 09:50 AM
    I said if I want to BROWSE I use my laptop. I certainly didn't need "flash" or QNX to post a comment on a message board using WAP.

Oh my bad. You didn't BROWSE to find that post? I wish I had your phone. I wish I could turn my phone on and it would already be on crackberry at the very post I want it to be on WITHOUT BROWSING TO GET TO IT FIRST!

The point of it is to advance. Its human nature to advance. Be better. Make things better.

For example....I went from a Storm 1 to a Storm 2. If you search my comments you will find many about how the lack of memory on the 9530 didn't bother me because I didn't use that many apps. After upgrading to the 9550 my app use has doubled...because the added memory allowed me to do that without any problems.

It will be the same with QNX and flash and videochat etc etc. You may not FEEL you need them now or will use them at all, BUT, once you have a phone with them integrated its an easier user experience. To the point where you might even be saying "if I want to Browse, ill just use my ?l?ck????y"

05-14-11 10:00 AM
    It will be the same with QNX and flash and videochat etc etc. You may not FEEL you need them now or will use them at all, BUT, once you have a phone with them integrated its an easier user experience. To the point where you might even be saying "if I want to Browse, ill just use my ?l?ck????y"

Fair enough. Though I can't say I'll EVER play a game, as I hate video games, or use an app to help me find my car. Video chat would be a nice feature I'd use but not without my adapter handy.

05-14-11 10:09 AM
    Thanks for the article. I thought the super app terminology was corny when I first heard it but my best apps are RIM made apps. The BB traffic and travel apps are fantastic apps in part because of that integration. The facebook beta 2.xxx is pretty amazing as well. I am very pleased with the current direction of RIM as I type this on my playbook.
    05-14-11 10:13 AM

I agree somewhat. Browsing and extremely light entry I can deal with the phone, and it would be nice to have a better browser on my phone.

I find the whole "internet on a phone thing" not the greatest user experience in the world.

Since I can type 80+ wpm, I can't beat my laptop for any decent amount of text entry. Of course a wintel platform gives 100% compatibility. I make liberal use of my tethering plan in the field.

I definitely can see where a form factor on the playbook bridges the gap between too small to use effectively and too large too carry efficiently.
    05-14-11 10:16 AM

if everyone thought like you we would still be using stones to lit fire
    05-14-11 10:22 AM

I understand what you're saying and how you feel. The thing is that technology is advance and it's changing the world. Now, people want to be able to do most of the things on their mobile devices that they can do on their computer, at least when it comes to internet connectible stuff. Of course, computers can't be fully replaced now but people want to be able to do a lot without having to take their computer with them and pay for internet access for that as well.

Everyone doesn't have small portable laptops, if they have one at all. It's the part of the reason why people have heavily migrated from desktops to laptops. A laptop with the best specs could never do more than a desktop with top specs which would also be cheaper but the majority of general consumers would probably prefer a laptop. A smartphone, right now could not replace a laptop but that assumes that everyone that wants a smartphone has a laptop and even cares to carry it around and pay for Internet access. And that's certaintly not the case.

I understand that you want things to stay the same but it's not. But why do you have a blackberry in the first place? Why not get your email the old fashioned way? Go back to a flip phone and do everything else the old fashioned way? Because your needs/wants evolved beyond that. Somewhere along the way you wanted a device that did more than what regular phones did. And that trends goes on and on and here we are. I agree with one of your previous posts about society but again, it's always been like that. It didn't get like that overnight. Point is, if RIM didn't adapt, just like any other company, they would fail. Now, you really don't want that to happen right? We don't want RIM to be stagnant in a changing market. They can easily go the way of Palm if they don't. Would you prefer RIM to have both QNX and Blackberry OS devices going forward rather than just migrated to QNX? Just wondering your thoughts there. If it works for you, bow about just sticking with BBOS devices as they are for as long as you can?
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-14-11 at 10:35 AM.
    05-14-11 10:27 AM
    if everyone thought like you we would still be using stones to lit fire
    He's not a QNX phone target market. Doesn't mean we want to go backwards in time to the point where alchohol was used as an anesthesia in medical procedures.
    05-14-11 12:50 PM
    Of course, computers can't be fully replaced now but people want to be able to do a lot without having to take their computer with them and pay for internet access for that as well.

A smartphone, right now could not replace a laptop but that assumes that everyone that wants a smartphone has a laptop and even cares to carry it around and pay for Internet access. And that's certaintly not the case. ?
    Never say never. Technology can surprise you sometimes. There was a time that I couldn't send faxes or emails or voicenotes . VIdeo chat. Watching videos. Listening to music. All things that I can now do on a smartphone.

05-14-11 01:57 PM
    I appreciate your eloquent reply. I'll only quote parts of it, not because the parts I didn't quote aren't relevant, rather because I agree with them wholeheartedly, and they don't require a response.

I understand that you want things to stay the same but it's not. But why do you have a blackberry in the first place? Why not get your email the old fashioned way? Go back to a flip phone and do everything else the old fashioned way? Because your needs/wants evolved beyond that. Somewhere along the way you wanted a device that did more than what regular phones did.
    I have a laptop and 3G modem that goes with me almost everywhere -- I even have a tray in my car that's designed for it -- and I got the BlackBerry so that I could stay connected in the places where it was in no way practical to use the laptop (like at work). I quickly found that with BlackBerry's superior email and messenging capabilities it was not even necessary to check and reply to emails on the laptop anymore; it was so much faster and more efficient to use the BlackBerry for that. I use the browser only to check a few regular sites (message boards like CB).

In addition to its messenging capabilities, I found that the BlackBerry's device level security, when it comes to contacts and other device data, is of the utmost importance to me. I would hate to see the only readily available, perfectly secure platform's security compromised for any reason, especially not to accommodate application makers (and the consumers who want their products) or for a media experience for which I would never choose a mobile device over a laptop.

Point is, if RIM didn't adapt, just like any other company, they would fail. Now, you really don't want that to happen right? We don't want RIM to be stagnant in a changing market. They can easily go the way of Palm if they don't. Would you prefer RIM to have both QNX and Blackberry OS devices going forward rather than just migrated to QNX? Just wondering your thoughts there. If it works for you, bow about just sticking with BBOS devices as they are for as long as you can?
    Of course not. I want RIM to succeed, but if BlackBerry becomes less secure than it is (if it becomes like Apple or Android), it will fail me. In that case, I wouldn't care if RIM itself failed. And hanging on to BlackBerry os is what I'm doing. I'm using an 8330m.

I guess I just don't understand the level of grumbling about BlackBerry. (If the grumblers aren't outright switching, they're grumbling about being locked into contracts, too.) So why don't the grumblers simply go to Apple and Android and be happy there? It sure looks like they switch to iPhone or Android and then complain about BlackBerry not being the same thing. If the solution for those people is to switch to one of those devices, why complain about BlackBerry? It's kind of like complaining about the problem and the solution, and it's annoying. It seems that for them the solution is for BlackBerry to change. Why? If Apple and Android are so great, go there and bask in their greatness! I kind of feel like they are getting what they want on those platforms yet still coming to BlackBerry to potentially ruin things for me. There is no more secure platform. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but if security is watered down for media, where's the choice then? Already we have two less secure, media friendly platforms (Apple and Android). Why do we need three less secure, media friendly platforms?

I also don't like when things are changed for what I perceive to be stupid reasons. I'll give an example. I'm an electrician by trade. When I started (in 1988) we were using the 1987 electrical code. The electrical code is updated every three years. Updates can bring about improvements, but since I started, I've seen quite a few updates that were made to accommodate idiots. Rather than compelling the idiots to do something properly in accordance to a fine, efficient rule (or forcing them out of the trade altogether), the entire rule gets written up differently in a way that makes all of us do things in a harder, less efficient manner just because "if we don't write the rule like this, someone might do that." I think not caring about device-level security by any person is stupid. BlackBerry device-level security becoming watered down is a big concern for me when I read all these gripes of how BlackBerry should become more like iPhone or Android.

I switched to my computer to compose this reply, because I find that it's easier to deal with a split up quote (or multiple embedded quotes) from the computer. I could do it from the BlackBerry, but it would take me longer. If an iPhone or Android can do it as fast as (or faster than) a computer, it's still not reason enough for me to switch to either of those less secure platforms.

Thanks for the meaningful exchange,

Tony
    05-14-11 02:33 PM
    There is a reason behind the delay and wait for QNX. Security being one of the main reasons. I'm sure rim could have slapped together an OS built for multimedia and throw it out there, BUT it takes time to build something around something else without sacrificing or compromising the abilities of the first something. I believe that with OS 6 and OS 7 we have been seeing steps towards that. A long term goal for perfection perhaps.

The point is, RIM knows that security is their biggest feature. I can guarantee that they will not compromise that to appeal to a small percentage of ?l?ck????y users. Rather they would work towards making it work to please all in different ways.

05-14-11 03:15 PM
    In addition to its messenging capabilities, I found that the BlackBerry's device level security, when it comes to contacts and other device data, is of the utmost importance to me. I would hate to see the only readily available, perfectly secure platform's security compromised for any reason, especially not to accommodate application makers (and the consumers who want their products) or for a media experience for which I would never choose a mobile device over a laptop.

Of course not. I want RIM to succeed, but if BlackBerry becomes less secure than it is (if it becomes like Apple or Android), it will fail me. In that case, I wouldn't care if RIM itself failed. And hanging on to BlackBerry os is what I'm doing. I'm using an 8330m.

I guess I just don't understand the level of grumbling about BlackBerry. (If the grumblers aren't outright switching, they're grumbling about being locked into contracts, too.) So why don't the grumblers simply go to Apple and Android and be happy there? It sure looks like they switch to iPhone or Android and then complain about BlackBerry not being the same thing. If the solution for those people is to switch to one of those devices, why complain about BlackBerry? It's kind of like complaining about the problem and the solution, and it's annoying. It seems that for them the solution is for BlackBerry to change. Why? If Apple and Android are so great, go there and bask in their greatness! I kind of feel like they are getting what they want on those platforms yet still coming to BlackBerry to potentially ruin things for me. There is no more secure platform. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but if security is watered down for media, where's the choice then? Already we have two less secure, media friendly platforms (Apple and Android). Why do we need three less secure, media friendly platforms?
    I switched to my computer to compose this reply, because I find that it's easier to deal with a split up quote (or multiple embedded quotes) from the computer. I could do it from the BlackBerry, but it would take me longer. If an iPhone or Android can do it as fast as (or faster than) a computer, it's still not reason enough for me to switch to either of those less secure platforms.
    I think you are terribly misinformed. QNX is going to be extremely secure, for example its used by the military, therefore has or will have the same level of security as BlackBerrys have now. They wouldn't put out a product without that level of security because of all of their business ties.

And people that leave to Apple and Android come back here because they do like RIM and want to use their products, but their current phones simply don't do apps and multimedia as good as the competition right now.

And BlackBerry clearly needs to change and become more consumer friendly. More and more people are switching because they can simply do more and more from their phones now, some of which isn't capable with BlackBerry right now. The only way to get those people back is to change significantly or else they won't be a company for very much longer. So those people that "potentially ruin things for you" are the people that are making RIM keep up with competition and stay afloat.
    Kuhns likes this.
    05-14-11 05:25 PM
    I think you are terribly misinformed. QNX is going to be extremely secure, for example its used by the military, therefore has or will have the same level of security as BlackBerrys have now. They wouldn't put out a product without that level of security because of all of their business ties ...
    I hope so. I hope it doesn't come complete with a Microsoft-style back door. I'm sure there is and will be secure QNX for military and Obama -- Microsoft probably even makes secure stuff for the military -- but will ours still be secure? Right now we know it is. And for a long time I've been reading here that the reason developers haven't been keen on developing applications for BlackBerry is because it's difficult to meet up to BlackBerry's strict security standards. How will all that change so that it becomes so easy and lucrative to develop for QNX?
    So those people that 'potentially ruin things for you' are the people that are making RIM keep up with competition and stay afloat.
    Hmmm. Doing me a favor. I hope so. I haven't seen any of them raise these security concerns. It's all been about flash, youtube, and netflix.

Last edited by T�nis; 05-14-11 at 06:56 PM.
    05-14-11 06:47 PM
    Hmmm. Doing me a favor. I hope so. I haven't seen any of them raise these security concerns. It's all been about flash, youtube, and netflix.

but stuff like that is what more and more people are asking for in their phones now and since iOS and Android can offer those things, BlackBerry has to also if they want to compete or else more and more people will continue to leave.
    05-14-11 07:57 PM
    Well, I actually prefer to use my phone even at home instead of sitting in front of the PC.

So I need a very good phone. But I don't need this whole Playbook nonsense. I'm watching all this hoopla and asking what does all of that have to do with my needs, and why is RIM spending all its time on this toy instead of giving me the phone I need.
    05-14-11 08:11 PM
    With respect to the interview linked, I think the takeaway is not the technical vision, which is very sloppy, but rather the BlackBerry's purpose for being, as articulated by RIM here. I think it's more compelling than Apple's.
    05-14-11 08:53 PM
    Never say never. Technology can surprise you sometimes. There was a time that I couldn't send faxes or emails or voicenotes . VIdeo chat. Watching videos. Listening to music. All things that I can now do on a smartphone.

I didn't say never. I said right now. I do believe one day most of the computing of the majority of people will be able to be accomplished on smartphones and/or tablet devices.
    05-14-11 09:50 PM
    I appreciate your eloquent reply. I'll only quote parts of it, not because the parts I didn't quote aren't relevant, rather because I agree with them wholeheartedly, and they don't require a response.

I have a laptop and 3G modem that goes with me almost everywhere -- I even have a tray in my car that's designed for it -- and I got the BlackBerry so that I could stay connected in the places where it was in no way practical to use the laptop (like at work). I quickly found that with BlackBerry's superior email and messenging capabilities it was not even necessary to check and reply to emails on the laptop anymore; it was so much faster and more efficient to use the BlackBerry for that. I use the browser only to check a few regular sites (message boards like CB).

I also don't like when things are changed for what I perceive to be stupid reasons. I'll give an example. I'm an electrician by trade. When I started (in 1988) we were using the 1987 electrical code. The electrical code is updated every three years. Updates can bring about improvements, but since I started, I've seen quite a few updates that were made to accommodate idiots. Rather than compelling the idiots to do something properly in accordance to a fine, efficient rule (or forcing them out of the trade altogether), the entire rule gets written up differently in a way that makes all of us do things in a harder, less efficient manner just because "if we don't write the rule like this, someone might do that." I think not caring about device-level security by any person is stupid. BlackBerry device-level security becoming watered down is a big concern for me when I read all these gripes of how BlackBerry should become more like iPhone or Android.

Thanks for the meaningful exchange,

Tony
    I can appreciate that and understand how you feel. You are one of those that don't believe RIM needs to become more like Android and iOS. And there are a lot of people that feel that way. Many BB diehards feel that exact way that there's nothing wrong with it so RIM doesn't need to change it. And I can understand that. But I just think that just because some people don't think that nothing is wrong doesn't necessarily mean that's the case. For all intents and purposes BBOS is sufficient for users. But RIM is looking towards the future. And like any computer that either has a computer platform or mobile platform, it has to evolve over time. The BBOS has been basically the same for almost a decade with incremental updates and added features but for the most part the 8700 can accomplish most things the 9700 can. The BBOS was built for the enterprise. But RIM knows that the smartphone market now is not what it was 5+ years ago. So they need something that's more user friendly to the average person, great multimedia capabilities and has the "bells and whistles" because that's what people want. Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.

I just think RIM is no different than any other technology company that produces it's own software that has to evolve and change over time according to the needs and wants of the market as well to keep up/stay ahead of your competition.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-14-11 at 10:00 PM.
    05-14-11 09:56 PM
    I want QNX on Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) !!! It is time for RIM to turn QNX as a competitor/alternative to Andorid !

QNX phone is 10 months away at best, it is two product cycles at Apple, HTC and Samsung. Time to curtail the hardware business and preserve the margins via software.

Make QNX a competitor of Android.
    05-18-11 03:26 AM
    I want QNX on Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) !!! It is time for RIM to turn QNX as a competitor/alternative to Andorid !

QNX phone is 10 months away at best, it is two product cycles at Apple, HTC and Samsung. Time to curtail the hardware business and preserve the margins via software.

Make QNX a competitor of Android.
    No. Not at all.
    05-18-11 11:31 AM
    I have also been doing abit of reading on RIM's QNX platform, and quite frankly, I am very impressed, especially since QNX, as mentioned already, is used in many important areas such as military tanks, nuclear power plants, etc. It essentially has proven reliability, security and power in critical, professional environments.

Added that RIM can make it's QNX platform open and friendly to developers, this will be Apple's and Android's biggest nightmare.
    05-18-11 02:35 PM
    Well... since BlackBerry phones will be using QNX, I'm not surprised that they are rolling out 6.1 as 7, which gives them more time to ensure everything is ironed out for the next BlackBerry OS running QNX.

We saw what half a year did... a decently cooked Playbook. It's robust but... another few months of cooking time was probably what it ideally wants to iron everything out. So this time around... they want to ensure QNX will be smooth as **** on their phones... so having BlacKBerry 7 to cover / give it some sales while the team behind it works hard for BB8 QNX (assuming BB8 will be QNX) isn't all that bad of an idea.

Afterall, their phone department is their bread and butter. They can't afford to fail on the QNX version of BB OS on the phones.
    05-18-11 06:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD