If I have a Blackberry (Verizon) through work and I use SMS texting, do those texts get saved anywhere on my company's servers? Or anywhere else? How private are texts? Thanks!
    01-24-08 04:30 PM
    Text messages are number to number! It does NOT go through the server...
    01-24-08 04:59 PM
    Thanks naviwilliams! So if I delete a text, is it safe to say no one will ever find it unless I'm murdered and CSI does an in-depth investigative search?
    01-24-08 05:16 PM
    That's not entirely true, it depends on how the system is set up if a BES admin really wants axxs to those txt messages they can be viewed through 3rd party software such as retain, it really depends on how secure your company wants your bb to be

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-08 05:30 PM
    I'd never ASSUME they are not being viewed imo anyways

01-24-08 05:31 PM
    One sentence for you to think about- The mayor of detroit! he just got busted for an affair he had with his chief of staff 4-5 years ago then lied about it during a lawsuit against the city of detroit.
    01-24-08 08:17 PM
    01-24-08 08:21 PM
    @ the article: Im suprised that the police investigated the mayor having an affair....seems morally wrong but i didn't know it was any of their affair.

Anyways, im sure Verizon has a copy of the texts....It seems all the rage in the movies and tv shows that the cops get a copy of the texts sent and its possilbe that that part is based in reality.
    01-24-08 09:12 PM
    Texts are recoverable, I don't know how BES servers work and such, but just in general anything you do on your cellphone is trackable and recoverable, from where you surf, to what you text. But, provided you aren't doing anything illegal, and don't give a reason for your provider to be subpoenaed, I wouldn't worry about it.

As they say, if you don't want it on the front page of your local paper... it's probably best left untyped.
    01-24-08 11:01 PM
    Your service provider has a small record of text messages. I called one time and was suprised bc the csr was reading back my text messages! Not really stuff I wanted other people seeing! LOL

01-24-08 11:08 PM
    Let's waste some more of Detroit's money thanks to a thug.
    01-24-08 11:15 PM
    Let's waste some more of Detroit's money thanks to a thug.
    It's funny how he tries to come across as being such a good guy when he is just like every other crooked politician!
    01-25-08 12:38 AM
    he is kinda dirtbaggy for perjuring himself. who knows how this will play out. and to respond to the above, he was investigated for firing one of his deputy chiefs and another officer who were looking into his dealings.
    01-25-08 12:42 AM
    Well, we seem to have gotten a little off topic here...but it breaks down like this...BES admins DO have the functionality to review SMS messages if they do so wish, your carrier is also capable of pulling SMS records under whats called the "subpeona compliance" act, which is only useful for court proceedings and needs to be requested by a lawyer...also BES admins have the option of installing previously mentioned software called "retain"...so what it breaks down to is if you are saying or doing anything that you DO NOT want your employer to know about...get a different cell phone for personal use.

PS" From the RIM Knowledgebase

How To - Enable PIN and SMS logging with BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1

Last Updated: 19 April 2006

Article Number: KB-05024

Summary

This article applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ 4.1
    • IBM� Lotus� Domino�
    • Microsoft� Exchange
    • Novell� GroupWise�
    Procedure

BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 has a feature where personal identification number (PIN) messages and short message system (SMS) messages, both sent and received on a BlackBerry� wireless device, can be logged to a central repository. By default, only phone call logging is enabled.
    To modify the settings for either of these features, do the following:
    1. In BlackBerry� Manager, in the left pane, click the BlackBerry Enterprise Server you want to modify.
    2. Select the Server Configuration tab, and click Edit Properties.
    3. Click Sync Server.
    4. Double-click Audit Root Directory.
    5. If you want to save the log files, type the path to the location where you would like to save the files. Click OK.
    6. In BlackBerry Manager, in the left pane, click BlackBerry Domain.
    7. Select the Global tab, and click Edit Properties.
    8. Click IT Policy.
    9. In the IT Policy Administration section, double-click IT Policies.
    10. Click one of the policies in the list.
    11. Click Properties > PIM Sync Policy Group.
    12. To monitor SMS or PIN messages, complete the steps in the table below.

ActionProcedureMonitor the SMS messages users send and receive from BlackBerry devices.
      • Click Disable SMS Messages Wireless Sync.
      • In the drop-down list, select False.
      Monitor the PIN messages users send and receive from BlackBerry devices.
      • Click Disable PIN Messages Wireless Sync.
      • In the drop-down list, select False.
    13. Click OK to close the open windows.
    14. Restart the BlackBerry Synchronization Service. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server creates the log files using the following formats:
      • PIN messages: PINLog_<YYYYMMDD>.csv
      • SMS messages: SMSLog_<YYYYMMDD>.csv
      • Phone calls: PhoneCallLog_<YYYYMMDD>.csv
    01-25-08 01:23 AM
    So where does the text message go if I have my phone turned off?
    01-25-08 02:13 AM
    It sits on your carriers servers till the time out period which is usually 24 hrs...it will keep trying to send it to your device until that timeout period is up.
    01-25-08 02:44 AM
    I'm with Nextel. All of mine goes through the server. I can log on to my online account with nextel and it shows me the last 7 days of text that I sent and received. Yes, even though your phone is off, it has to go to a server and hang around a little until you turn your phone back on, then it will be sent to you. The best thing I can tell you to do is to call your carrier and find out from them. They can tell you best!!

01-25-08 04:13 AM
    You may want to give this site a try:

anontext dot com

You can send SMS / txt messages anonymously.
    10-22-09 02:01 PM
    @ the article: Im suprised that the police investigated the mayor having an affair....seems morally wrong but i didn't know it was any of their affair.

Anyways, im sure Verizon has a copy of the texts....It seems all the rage in the movies and tv shows that the cops get a copy of the texts sent and its possilbe that that part is based in reality.
    He was majorly corrupt before this happened and eveyone but his party members admitted it. So I don't care how they get him as long as they do lol.

But really you should treat sms the same way you treat unencrypted email.

10-22-09 03:10 PM
    Most cellular companies store all your text messages for months if not years. If the cops want to read 'em, they can read 'em.
    10-23-09 02:24 AM
    If you're on a BES, they can be logged on the BES.
    10-23-09 08:06 AM
    It goes through a lot of servers. The only phone to phone communication possible is Bluetooth, that's it.
    10-23-09 09:08 AM
    I call BS where the guy said he had a CSR read back his texts lol.

10-23-09 11:38 AM
    I can't remember where I read it but I believe ATT and Verizon pretty much just store the messages for around 72hours and then they are gone from the system. But that could be dated info also

10-23-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD