Hi there,

I have a Blackberry Curve 9320, and I'm looking for a way to play its mp3 player on my car speakers. I have an older car (2002 Sunfire), so it doesn't have Bluetooth or an aux. port at all. I'm also aware of FM tuners for mp3 players, but the audio out port on the Blackberry doesn't seem to support normal headphones (just the headset). I ordered an adapter off eBay for a buck today, but I'm uncertain of its effectiveness.

But my question is twofold - I already use a Bluetooth device for handsfree calling in my car, and my concern is that, if I play mp3's on my car audio through the headset port, the Bluetooth device will not work properly (since the phone, I'd imagine, would assume I'm using the headset).

Is there a device (or collection of devices) that will enable me to play mp3s off my Blackberry AND still let me use Bluetooth for incoming calls? Thanks.
    11-26-13 11:39 AM
    I use a tape adapter and that seems to work well enough, I don't use blutooth though, when someone calls, the cal is on loud speaker with the callers voice on the car speakers

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 11:52 AM
    I don't have a cassette player though, only CD. :P Although a co-worker told me they make a CD version of that as well... No idea how that's supposed to work.
    11-26-13 11:55 AM
    Check out www.gromaudio.com and see if they make a device that supports your car. I have one of their kits for my car. It plugs into my stock external cd port and gives me both bluetooth music and bluetooth phone capabilities. Works amazing.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    11-26-13 11:59 AM
    Many cars have factory radios that support external CD players/changers. My Honda for example has a single CD/radio as the main head unit, and a secondary 6-disc CD changer in the space below. There are adapters that allow you to use these ports, in place of the changer, to get audio into your stereo. They are available in both wired (headphone jack) and BlueTooth versions. These generally give the best audio.

If your factory stereo lacks such support, then you are left with an FM modulator, which will work just fine when connected to the headphone jack of your phone. The advantage of these is that they'll work with any FM radio, but the downsides are that they require power (usually a battery) and that the sound quality is significantly lower than a direct (or Bluetooth) connection. It's also important to set them to an FM frequency that isn't in use, which can be difficult in or around large cities with congested airwaves, and might require changing frequencies as you move into new areas.

As someone mentioned, for cars with cassette decks, there are also cassette adapters. Quality on these is about the same or sometimes a bit higher than an FM modulator, but they tend to be a bit more reliable and don't require the frequency changing issues or dealing with external power.
    11-26-13 01:44 PM