How do you organize contacts?

Categories or groups?

I have some categories from outlook that got brought or synced over and I can filter by that, but I don't see how on the device to select category - I see groups but how is that used?

Thanks.
    06-05-08 10:14 AM
    I havent tried it, but I assume you can name groups by friends, family, work related contacts, etc.

I need to organize my contacts though, right now it's a mad mess.
    Last edited by Talbot; 06-14-08 at 09:12 AM.
    06-13-08 10:31 AM
    How do you organize contacts?

Categories or groups?

I have some categories from outlook that got brought or synced over and I can filter by that, but I don't see how on the device to select category - I see groups but how is that used?

Thanks.
    I'm not sure I understand your question re how "on the device to select category" When you filter on the blackberry, you are filtering by the category. It's similar to being in category view in Outlook. If you mean "how to select a category for a contact," when you edit a contact, you should see "Categories" as a field in the contact. Click on it and you'll have the check boxes to select categories, just like in Outlook.

Groups are collections of contacts, stored as lists in your blackberry's device memory. I don't use them, but you can use them like mailing lists.
    06-13-08 11:05 AM
    thanks jeff.
    06-13-08 11:13 AM
    Is there a quicker way to do this? Do i have to individually select 100s of contacts and put them into a 'business" or "personal" category?
    06-15-10 02:52 PM
    As I discussed above, categories are used for filtering. It is not necessary to assign a category to a contact if you don't need or want to filter using it. I generally assign categories when I enter the contact information initially. If you have several hundred that already exist, you'll have categorize them individually if you choose to categorize them at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 04:04 PM
    I use both methods. I assign filters to contacts for those times I want to look for specific contacts. I use groups for mailing list. The only down side is that if I backup my phone and upgrade my OS, when I do reload everything back, all contacts associated with those groups will be lost. Therefore, the Group will still be there, but it will no longer have any contacts in the. I have to re associate them all over again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD