Or maybe never?

Just curious.

I do this far more often with my PC, but mostly because the performance issues on it tend to be more debilitating.

But obviously our phones get slower over time. Often because of OS upgrades. Sometimes from all the crap apps we install on them.

Just wondering if you wipe your phone out of habit, or maybe you already change phones so often, it never really comes up...
    Last edited by skilas; 07-08-19 at 09:44 AM. Reason: grammar
    07-08-19 09:43 AM
    BB10.... about every 3 Months

Android Marshmallow.... about every 3 Months
    Android Nougat..... once upgrade, and once more at about eight months (more app issue)
    Android Oreo.... once at upgrade, been over a year now.
    07-08-19 09:49 AM
    BB10 - 4 times a year.

Android - 1 or 2 times a year.

It really depends on how often you use and how hard you drive your device.
    Last edited by conite; 07-08-19 at 01:21 PM.
    07-08-19 10:01 AM
    BBOS: 4 & 5, at least once a week. OS7 - in the first few months I had it but slowed down drastically for the duration of ownership.

BB10: installed every leak and upgrade up until 2015, factory reset (security wipe) beforehand.

Android: KitKat - once (upgrade). Lollipop - 8 times, 6 during August '15. Marshmallow - 3 times. Nougat - once (upgrade). Oreo - never. Pie - never.
    07-08-19 10:12 AM
    Never, but a normally restart every week.
    07-08-19 01:16 PM
    I had no idea that BB10 factory resets were so common (or frequent). I only had a Z30 as my main device throughout the BB10 years. I maybe Factory Reset it once.

What used to be the driving factor to wipe it every few months?
    07-08-19 02:00 PM
    I had no idea that BB10 factory resets were so common (or frequent). I only had a Z30 as my main device throughout the BB10 years. I maybe Factory Reset it once.

What used to be the driving factor to wipe it every few months?
    The biggest culprit was the Android Runtime environment - it was easy to corrupt.
    07-08-19 02:02 PM
    BB10 - never done a reset on a Z10 or my Passport. Six years on the Z10 (but it's been unused basically for 5 years) and almost 5 years for Passport

Android devices - twice on an HTC and twice on my Huawei
    07-08-19 02:20 PM
    BB10 - anytime there was a major leaked upgrade
    Android - in recent years never. For major upgrades I do a deep clean with SD Maid and then update.
    07-08-19 02:27 PM
    I just did my DTEK50 last December and its acting up again. I think it depends a lot on apps and to what extent they affect the OS over time. I have noticed the more stock Android my device is with "lightweight" apps the better everything runs. De-Googling as much as practical seems to help as well, especially with battery.
    07-08-19 02:38 PM
    Pearl 8100 (OS 4.2, 4.5): Only when a new OS build became available somewhere in the world, so probably 6 to 8 times in the 3 years I had it.

Torch 9800 (OS 6): Same thing. Maybe a few more times during the next 3 years.

Z10: At least twice a year since 2013 with an autoloader, but most of the OS updates were in-place updates that didn't reset the phone. Last one was two months ago, just to set up the minimal apps on an out-of-service phone.

Galaxy S8 (for a year and a half before screen breakage disabled it): Never after initial setup in the Summer of 2017.

Galaxy S9 (replaced broken S8 this past January): Never since initial setup.

PC (DOS/Windows based): Early 1990, first PC for myself was an IBM PS/2 55SX running DOS 4 and Windows 3. Upgrading it to use a Microchannel based 486DX board didn't require a "reset", but around '94 I replaced the original 60Mb hard drive with a 500Mb IDE drive. That did require reloading the DOS/Windows OS, then all programs. A Micron PC bought in mid '95 came with DOS 6 and Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups), but I upgraded it to Win 95 the next year. So... a "reset". Another Micron PC followed in 2000 with Win 98 (in-place update to Win XP came two years later), and I kept that until 2006. I did reset it (OS reload) once around 2005. In 2006, I built my own PC, running Windows XP. I later replaced the motherboard/processor/hd/memory in 2014 and loaded up Win 7. Since then, the only reset was in 2015, deciding to load Win 10 from scratch instead of as an in-place upgrade. Still using this setup today, but it's time to update the guts again.

So, really, outside of hardware changes and OS upgrades, I've really only done 1 reset on a PC with an existing unchanging setup in the last 29 years.

Did I really just write "last 29 years"? All that started a year after college.
    skilas likes this.
    07-08-19 04:11 PM
    I’ve never did a factory restore on any of my phones ever unless I have to like I changed phones or sending it In for repairs but that’s not something I do, makes no logical sense to do so for me, I just restart the device.
    07-11-19 09:57 AM
    I’ve never did a factory restore on any of my phones ever unless I have to like I changed phones or sending it In for repairs but that’s not something I do, makes no logical sense to do so for me, I just restart the device.
    Restart, like a power cycle? Just turn off then on?
    07-15-19 01:49 PM
    To maintain my Key2 I generally keep apps to a minimum, disable all but essentials and once a week run cc cleaner, tuneup master, and restart.

On Android devices I find if you have a lot of apps, or over-fill internal storage they slow down a lot. Formatting removable storage occasionally seems to help.

I have a Sony Z2 I formatted for my kids which has been factory reset once. For a five year old device it still works really well. regular maintenance really helps.

My wife on the other hand has an Android tablet from 2015 (samsung tab A) which having never been maintained, reset or looked after in any way is really showing its age. the lag is abysmal.
    skilas likes this.
    07-15-19 02:10 PM
    BB10: I have never done a factory reset on my Z10 in 6.5 years, and i've only installed AT&T OTA updates as well. But it's important to note that i've run in very close to stock, with almost no apps from BlackBerry World , and no other Android apps at all. So there wasn't much corruption to worry about.

On Android, I do a factory reset about every six months, but not due to stability or performance issues. My KEYone has been great in that regard.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-15-19 08:17 PM
    To maintain my Key2 I generally keep apps to a minimum, disable all but essentials and once a week run cc cleaner, tuneup master, and restart.

On Android devices I find if you have a lot of apps, or over-fill internal storage they slow down a lot. Formatting removable storage occasionally seems to help.

I have a Sony Z2 I formatted for my kids which has been factory reset once. For a five year old device it still works really well. regular maintenance really helps.

My wife on the other hand has an Android tablet from 2015 (samsung tab A) which having never been maintained, reset or looked after in any way is really showing its age. the lag is abysmal.
    Storage is the big thing for me. I like to take a lots of photos on my Motion. And even though I keep things pretty tight, I know I overload the microsd with photos, and to be expected, previews and loading is slow.
    07-19-19 11:44 AM
    Storage is the big thing for me. I like to take a lots of photos on my Motion. And even though I keep things pretty tight, I know I overload the microsd with photos, and to be expected, previews and loading is slow.
    You should be using a U3 speed card. You'll have no problems with delays.
    07-19-19 11:50 AM
    You should be using a U3 speed card. You'll have no problems with delays.
    Sorry, never saw this reply.

I use a 128 GB card (Sandisk Extreme Pro, U3, A2). The card is plenty fast. But even folders with lots of photos will slow things down.
    08-09-19 10:43 PM