I on my Tour (just reactivated it) used the phone for 2 years and never deleted a single email. There are easily thousands of them on there. I deleted txts daily or just whenever. Is it bad to keep all those emails on there? I don't believe that it uses RAM they just store on the SD card.
    07-15-12 01:58 PM
    They are stored in device memory, so keeping all of them will slow down your device, or the device might start deleting them on its own if there are too many.

The microSD card on BlackBerry is only for media, not apps or e-mails.
    07-15-12 02:00 PM
    I delete emails every day,

I LOVE delete on device, but not in my inbox, that is a very important email management feature for me
    07-15-12 02:02 PM
    I'm with deRusett, i delete on my device all the time.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    07-15-12 02:04 PM
    Straight away when I've dealt with them. About four an hour.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 07-15-12 at 06:17 PM.
    07-15-12 03:05 PM
    Most emails I delete immediately after reading them. If there are actionable items
    in the emails I add them to the task manager or calendar.

The only emails that remain on my device at any given time are those which are
    actionable that I have not gotten to.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-15-12 03:15 PM
    What agraceless said. If the e-mail is not useful or actionable then deletion at reading is the rule.
    Deu2e and amazinglygraceless like this.
    07-15-12 03:35 PM
    I delete work emails once they are handled. I never delete GMail stuff. I use my BB and PB to monitor, read and respond, but don't expect it to be long term storage. That's what email servers are for.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-15-12 04:40 PM
    I delete them once I'm done with them. Sometimes I delete before reading them because I leave them on the server for Outlook to download and clear off.
    07-15-12 04:45 PM
    All the time... once they've been read/handled.
    07-15-12 04:51 PM
    I delete emails from my phone immediately after reading and/or responding.
    07-15-12 06:12 PM
    Like I said, I never have deleted emails, but I think I will start now as long as I am done with the convo, or they serve no purpose as many of you stated
    07-15-12 06:16 PM
    I delete emails every day,

I LOVE delete on device, but not in my inbox, that is a very important email management feature for me

This. I delete emails all the time, but many are left on the server to be dealt with at a later time on the computer. For me this is a very important and, I think, under-appreciated feature.
    07-15-12 06:24 PM
    I'm with most of you - delete them when they are no longer "actionable". Some I leave on the server if I want a record of them or may have to go back & deal with the subject again.
    07-15-12 06:43 PM
    I usually delete mine on sundays (weird huh, don't ask me why lol)....It's a habit I picked up during my sidekick II days...
    07-15-12 06:48 PM
    This. I delete emails all the time, but many are left on the server to be dealt with at a later time on the computer. For me this is a very important and, I think, under-appreciated feature.
    I didn't know it was a feature till I discovered I couldn't do it on my iPhone natively

I was actually shocked and asked IT if I was missing something but they didn't have an answer for me
    07-15-12 07:18 PM
    I didn't know it was a feature till I discovered I couldn't do it on my iPhone natively

Yes, one of the disadvantages of "full sync" is it makes this feature impossible.

Android, at least, supports the Gmail "archive" feature, which let's you get mail off your phone without losing it altogether.

If BB10 goes to ActiveSync, I don't know if we'll get to keep this feature.
    07-15-12 07:50 PM
    Yes, one of the disadvantages of "full sync" is it makes this feature impossible.

Android, at least, supports the Gmail "archive" feature, which let's you get mail off your phone without losing it altogether.

If BB10 goes to ActiveSync, I don't know if we'll get to keep this feature.

That will be a very missed lost feature.

I believe it was IBM that commissioned a study about the loss of productivity that comes from sorting your emails in your inbox into folders, or tagging them, with today's advanced search capabilities,

I found the study very interesting when reading it and agreed with a lot of it, though I still duplicate some emails into separate folders while keeping them in my inbox until a task is done. the ability to delete off of my device inbox keeps my mobile life focused.

I should look for the study again..
    07-15-12 07:56 PM
    Seeing some of the comments here I would also like to point out that when I
    am done with an email it is deleted not just from the device but the server
    as well.

I see no point in saving email on the server when I know it will never be read again.
    With the amount of email I get daily I could be looking at 1000's of uselessly
    stored emails inside of a week and a half.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-15-12 08:01 PM
    I delete them weekly and if I need to search for a old email I use gmail and use the web based gmail to look back.
    07-15-12 08:09 PM
    After reading through this thread, I literally just deleted almost 90% of my emailsi will do this from now on.
    07-15-12 08:10 PM
    as well.

I see no point in saving email on the server when I know it will never be read again.
    With the amount of email I get daily I could be looking at 1000's of uselessly
    stored emails inside of a week and a half.
    I wish I had the luxury of deleting forever, but some emails don't require any attention or follow up so I can delete them from my device, but they are required for later purposes or legal requirements,

those emails that have the highest probability of being able to be deleted forever are sent to my carrier.blackberry.net address
    07-15-12 08:13 PM
    Never because i do not have email on my blackberry
    07-15-12 08:20 PM
    as well.

There are some emails that I prefer to deal with on a computer, so I delete them from the BB only, then later delete them from the computer when I've dealt with them. I very much like having this option.

Other emails can be answered or otherwise dealt with from the BB and then deleted from both. Some, though, are kept either for legal reasons or for future reference, but not on my BB. I file them on my work computer.

Bottom line: I delete emails from my BB as soon as I know I don't need them there anymore. But some live on, on the server.
    07-15-12 08:50 PM
    I have legally mandated records retention requirements also. Those emails although
    they are not kept on the mail server are archived so if I ever need them for any
    reason they are still accessible.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-15-12 09:30 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD